Lufenuron

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
While far from a cure-all for baldness, antifungals deserve a place in treatment conversations as can be noticed by the studies showing increases in gains with supplementation of antiandrogens with ketaconazole and other antifungals.

Many on this board supplement their treatment with the use of nizoral, coal tar or selenium sulfide shampoos but do not experience complete relief of symptoms. Unfortunately not all fungi react to each antifungal the same and so we often have to cycle through different forms trying to find one that actually works. A while ago I came upon someone talking about taking their dog's flea medicine to cure their candida issues.

After reading up on it a little it's actually pretty interesting. The particular medicine they were talking about using is called Program. It's a flea medicine you administer to your dogs once a month for as long as you don't want them to have fleas. The chemical in Program is called Lufenuron and it's toxicity has been thoroughly tested. The drugs only known effect is that it inhibits chitin formation. Chitin is used by insects and fungi but not mammals. The medicine is fat soluble which is why dosing only happens once a month.

After the medicine had been out for a while vets started noticing that dogs and cats on lufenuron were almost immune to ringworm. Ringworm is a fungi, after some tests it was determined that lufenuron was a safe, effective and rapid form of treatment for fungal infections in animals. Apparently the naturopaths picked up on this and have been using lufenuron to effectively treat systemic fungal infections in humans.

Has anyone else heard anything about this medicine or used it themselves? With such efficacy in animal studies I'm surprised that I was unable to find any posts on this board mentioning it.