Lustreless's Story - (18 / (w/ PICS)

Lustreless

Reaction score
Hello :),

I wanted to share my story with all of you about my hair loss. I’m 18 and two years ago I had a full set of thick hair with a juvenile hairline. Last year, in December 2009, I started noticing a difference in my hairline. It looked thinner and wider. One day I decided to lift the hair around the temples and realized they had receded, particularly my right temple.

In February 2010, things grew worse. Initially, I was diagnosed with seborrhoeic dermatitis (which is still going on today, itchy all over). Progressively, my hair became dry, brittle and I lost at least half of what I used to have on the sides of my head (which is typically considered the immune donor area) and it refuses to grow longer than 4-5 cm. This angers me particularly because I see men with MBP but the sides of their head are practically untouched.

Up to this day my right temple has receded at a much faster rate than my left one and the front of my hair is progressively miniaturizing. I have been on Finasteride for almost 3 months (as recommended by my doctor) and I am shedding and miniaturizing like NEVER before. I dread showering because my hands get covered in hair.

You can see the before and after pictures of my hairline and the sides of my head. I promise you the overall thickness and recession are worse in real life than these pictures deceptively portray. Feel free to zoom in because that's when it's more evident. The before pictures are from 2008/2009, the after ones are from 2011.

I’m frustrated because I can’t relate to anyone (that I know) at my school with the same condition.

Let me know what you guys think, I’ve never had a real conversation about hair loss and I feel it’s the right time to start.

Attachments

• BnA.jpg
    BnA.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 281
  • WetBnA.jpg
    WetBnA.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 253

Hate2LoseIt

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Lustreless's story - (18 year old story (w/ PICS)

oh boy this is gonna be good.

popcorn-1.gif

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score

Your hairline looks more like a mature hairline than receding, though if you take some close up shots we could tell.

It does kinda look like the sides are thin though. Are you sure you aren't just getting it cut short?

Lustreless

Reaction score

TheGrayMan2001 said:
Your hairline looks more like a mature hairline than receding, though if you take some close up shots we could tell.

It does kinda look like the sides are thin though. Are you sure you aren't just getting it cut short?

When I first started losing hair I figured it was "just a mature hairline", but it didn't stop there, that's the thing. Why would my doctor prescribe me Finasteride just for a mature hairline? Essentially, he examined my scalp in under 20 seconds and pulled out hair from my temples and said, "yeah, male pattern baldness, here's some Finasteride."

I'll try to take close up pictures of my hair line with my hair up once I get the chance. I always leave it down (apart from the picture above). As far as the sides go, I've been getting them cut the same way for years, and I used to be able to grow them out a LOT. Now they feel electrocuted, wispy and refuse to grow long. I wish I knew why.

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score

I read the description and thought "that sucks being only 18" then I saw the photos and there's a NW1...

Lustreless

Reaction score

LooseItAll said:
I read the description and thought "that sucks being only 18" then I saw the photos and there's a NW1...

I hope I'm not coming off as a deluded teenager with a perfect NW1 freaking out over nothing, I honestly believe this is not my case. I realize that I'm in the earlier stages of recession, I'm not pretending that there aren't men/teenagers on this forum with more aggressive male pattern baldness.

I just want to do something about it early, since that's what everyone suggests to do. I would have loved for my doctor to have said that I'm an NW1 and needn't worry, but he prescribed Finasteride and I hate that I'm taking it.

I actually didn't know where I was exactly on the Norwood scale, but just because I'm NW1 it doesn't mean I couldn't go further, right?

cuebald

Reaction score

NW1

Tyler_Durden

Established Member
Reaction score

I'd get a second opinion before I did anything, I reckon your Doctor might have jumped the gun a little here.

What's your family history like for balding?

Lustreless

Reaction score

Tyler_Durden said:
I'd get a second opinion before I did anything, I reckon your Doctor might have jumped the gun a little here.

What's your family history like for balding?

There is history of balding on my mother's side, less on my father's (mostly just diffuse thinning).

I guess I'm confused now because I don't know what the users are trying to tell me. I get I have NW1 (for now), but I have male pattern baldness symptoms don't I?

Tom1985

Established Member
Reaction score

You're probably fine.

Just keep an eye on it over the next few months.

I mean, f***, my hair has never been as thick as yours.

Lustreless

Reaction score

Tom1985 said:
You're probably fine.

Just keep an eye on it over the next few months.

I mean, f*ck, my hair has never been as thick as yours.

I've been keeping an eye on it for the past year and it has definitely not improved, only worsened.

If I'm fine, then what exactly is going on with me? Should I keep taking Finasteride?

cuebald

Reaction score
Have you never heard of the "mature hairline"? (95% of men go from NW1 to NW1.5/NW2 in the late teens/early 20's, this is called "mature hairline" as you change from the teenage hairline to the adult hairline)

Lustreless

Reaction score
cuebald said:
Have you never heard of the "mature hairline"? (95% of men go from NW1 to NW1.5/NW2 in the late teens/early 20's, this is called "mature hairline" as you change from the teenage hairline to the adult hairline)

Yes, I've always hoped that's what it was.

I guess I should schedule an appointment with my doctor again. Should I ask for a more thorough scalp biopsy (he just plucked out a few hairs from my temples and diagnosed me with male pattern baldness in under 10 seconds)? Do I need to get bloodwork done? What do I need to do to determine once and for all if I have male pattern baldness or a mature hairline?

Why would he confuse male pattern baldness with a mature hairline, though, it seems like such a careless thing to do for a doctor.

Hate2LoseIt

Established Member
Reaction score
Mature hairline is just an acceptable form of balding in my opinion....but it is male pattern baldness nonetheless...... Get on rogaine if you want your previous hairline back...it just about regrew all of mine

Lustreless

Reaction score
Hate2LoseIt said:
Mature hairline is just an acceptable form of balding in my opinion....but it is male pattern baldness nonetheless...... Get on rogaine if you want your previous hairline back...it just about regrew all of mine

Even in the temple area? And are you on Finasteride?

Hate2LoseIt

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, the temple area too....My hairline was receded only about 3/4 of an Inch....but it was getting noticable. I was also thinning in a NW2-3 pattern

I tried finasteride for a month in november/december but cut it due to worrying myself over potential sides.

Hey but let me tell you...DONT PROCRASTINAtE....I wish I would have started using this 4 years ago...

My hair is damn near solid now and I no longer rock a hat. I have heard of guys that used just minoxidil for up to 10 years and had decent results.

I have my old hairline back and im not worried about my dick at all. It feels good...USE IT OR LOOSE IT!!!!

Honestly what i noticed about people on here that bash minoxidil is that they were too advanced in the hairloss game to get cosmetically significant results....If my results were to happen on a NW3-4 head...the end result wouldnt be too thrilling....The earlier you catch it, the better...the slight regrowth of the hairline was all i needed....and the same goes for you but even better! your line will definitely thicken as well as come down a little bit