Lyrisius's Story - (Suggestions on Natural Treatments?)

lyrisius

Reaction score
Hi.

I've been shedding for probably 5 years noticeably. I'm 28 now. The hair loss has bothered me pretty bad for the past 2-ish years. I've always shed a lot in my sleep and bathing. Hair balls collect in my carpeted bedroom really frequently. And when I was in a hardwood bedroom a few years ago I had to sweep the floor almost daily or it would look gross.

My dad has really thin hair that is practically all gone on top. I've covered mine pretty well for the past couple years. It started as a receding hair line. I have longer hair, so messing it up a bit hides the balding patches decently. I have hair in the middle front that hasn't receded -- it's the sides of this that are disappearing. And now I am noticing that the hair loss is actually folding back around that front middle bit, which is worrisome!

My hair loss isn't SUPER DUPER bad yet, but it's getting worse steadily.
I have high stress, and so does my dad, and that is certainly a big contributing factor. It's vicious. I stress over my hair loss, and my stress in turn gives me more hair loss!

I haven't tried any treatment yet, which is why I'm here -- to learn what is best and most commonly successful. I find a lot of conflicting information though, which is really frustrating. I read that shampooing often and combing daily is good, but I also read that not shampooing at all is good. I read that SLS in shampoos is bad and that natural shampoos are best. I was going to try this, but bought the wrong thing (apparently CLS and SLS are essentially the same thing?) I am thinking about ordering something online. But if I do, I may as well try something that helps regrow hair rather than prevents further hair loss. I don't know. I'm a hair-loss newb.

I've done a bit of reading on the forums and a bit of research online. I found something called Fortalex that is claimed to be natural and more effective and faster-acting (with no side-effects) than Rogaine. I couldn't find too much about it, aside from one or two reviews and the product website. Are there any threads here about it? It sounds a bit too good to be true.

I would love some pointers on where to start out.
I'm liking the sound of natural products, though I also don't really have money (and assume they're more pricey). I also have a family history of depression and suicide. I've been on anti-depressants, though I'm not on them now; I couldn't handle the side-effects. Based on reviews I've read of Rogaine I would like to avoid the product (Rogaine) because of the side effects, if there are other good options out there.

I know nothing, so I'd love some pushes in good directions to learn about what works and what others are using.

Thanks!

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: Natural treatments sound good.. any recommendations?

"Fortalex"? A quick google and it practically screams SCAM. Avoid.

Your best bet is to
1. read the guide in the 'Start Here' part of the site
2. read the big thread compiled by the poster called finfighter
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=63313
3. look in the Success Stories forum at what products folks are actually getting success from and can prove with pictures

I wouldn't worry too much about SLS or how frequent or less frequent you shampoo as it doesn't appear to affect hairloss. IMO there is no shampoo that will make any appreciable difference to whether you are going to lose your hair or not. If you use one use Nizoral.