Macs's Story - (31/Looking for aregime and getting confused)

Macs

Reaction score
I started loosing my hair at about 17 in the front. It has been receeding very slow and i am 31 now. I have always took it as a fact of life and never gave it much thought. It seems latley it has receeded to the point that my wife has been making " you look old remarks " and i have started taking less care of myself. I guess i have gotten a poor self image. So this morning i had enough and started looking to set an appointment to Bosley. After researching the procedure a bit, i got the image of Duece Bigalo geeting a hammer and chisel taken to the forehead. I started thinking that this might not be for me. I read a few other sites that seemed to be selling a product and not giving info. Then i ran across this site.

So i have been slowly balding for 14 years. There is no balding on my moms side of the family but my dad is bald ( he says from head trauma when he was younger). As of now i dont live a healthy lifestyle, i drink, smoke and generally eat whatever i want. But this has only been the case in the last couple of years minus the smoking. I use to take preety darn good care of myself.

Now for the questions.
Should i go to a doctor to get test done?
What kind of doctor?
What is the best treatments to help regrow hair?
Would i ever make it back to normal?
If i start taking meds, will i have to take them forever?
Any advice would be appreciated.

I have been reading through the site and it seems there are alot of words and abbreviations i do not understand. Is there a reference page?

Attachments

• hairline.JPG
    hairline.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 183
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 149

hweiror

Reaction score
Now for the questions.
q:Should i go to a doctor to get test done?
a: not experienced to answer

q:What kind of doctor?
a: same

q:What is the best treatments to help regrow hair?
a: from my readings so far (i've just started learning), big 3 is the one most talked about. big 3 = minoxodil (rogaine) that helps give hair new life. then finistaride (propecia) that blocks DHT that kills hair. and Nizoral shampoo twice a week, i don't know what this is for; i'm guess to avoid skin allergies. thats all i know, plus finistride has been reported to have severe side effects for very small number of people, related to erectile dysfunction, i've not started finisteride for the same yet.

q:Would i ever make it back to normal?
a: depends person to person

q:If i start taking meds, will i have to take them forever?
a: yes, any hair you re-grow or don't lose that you would have otherwise, will go away once you stop