Made my own spironolactone tonight.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
After several hours, 5 different bowls 10 napkins I finished the spironolactone.

I made 3% spironolactone with 1200mg of vitimin E and around 3ml of aloe vera. I'm sure it's less then 3% because I got some of the dermovan cream on my table and on my hands and such.

I'm testing to see if the vitimain e and aloe vera will help keep my scalp healthy.

The final solution is thicker than I was hoping. I can't really spray it on my head. Which makes things difficult, I have to keep my hair short and sort of rub it all over my head. I have a TON of spironolactone pills left over (100mg each) and a lot of the dermovan cream. This supply will last me probaly over 6 months.

Cost me around 50 dollars total. Less than 10 dollars a month. Not bad, hoping fully next time I can make a easier solution

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
oh and btw... these spironolactone pills don't really stink like people say. Just smell like a strong mint.

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
good to see your venturing out there to try and find a good solution!!

finally someone with the balls to give it a go

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
spironolactone only smells really bad when it reacts with minoxidil. Alone by iteself it doesn't smell to bad, but apply it before your minoxidil application and it's skunk city.

eldorado

Reaction score
BadHairDecade said:
spironolactone only smells really bad when it reacts with minoxidil. Alone by iteself it doesn't smell to bad, but apply it before your minoxidil application and it's skunk city.

It will stink if you keep it unrefrigerated...

It will also stink if you apply it in the morning, go outside in the heat, then when you come in and youll get a few wiffs here and there, not really bad but I wouldnt go to a bar or the movies with it on...

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Matgallis said:
The final solution is thicker than I was hoping.

Unfortunately, it will thicken up even more if you refrigerate it, as I recommend. That's unavoidable. But I suppose you could take it out of the fridge and let it warm up to room temperature just prior to application.

Bryan

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Matgallis said:
The final solution is thicker than I was hoping.

Unfortunately, it will thicken up even more if you refrigerate it, as I recommend. That's unavoidable. But I suppose you could take it out of the fridge and let it warm up to room temperature just prior to application.

Bryan
Here's the thing. Since I added a large amount of aloe vera the solution is less of a cream and more of a lotion. Before adding the aloe the solution would just sit in the form like I just got done stirring it. After the aloe is tends to settle back down to being flat.

Results so far (premature imo)
1. Scalp irritation has improved dramatically. It really blows the alcohol version away.
2. The solution SEEMS to be absorbed over a period of two or more hours. Just my theroy but I think the alcohol solution is absorbed too quickly compared to the lotion version I made.
3. After application my hair doesn't appear dried out, looks more naturally healthy.
4. I'm hoping this works :)

Oh and I also added msm, not really for my hair but since msm helps with joints and such (my joints can be b****s sometimes) I figured why not speed up the growth of my hair too?

Molecular Help

Established Member
Reaction score
So aloe vera is an effective vehicle for the spironolactone to penetrate the skin? That's great! I thought it needed alcohol or something a little less... agreeable.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Molecular Help said:
So aloe vera is an effective vehicle for the spironolactone to penetrate the skin? That's great! I thought it needed alcohol or something a little less... agreeable.
oh no I have no idea it aloe vera is a good vehicle to carry the spironolactone. I am using a dermovan cream which cost $22 for a whole pound.

Also forgot to mention I am only applying once a day. Right when I get out of the shower when my hair is still damp.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ok i just applied some spironolactone for tonight and I can no longer smell spironolactone. Just the aloe vera. I heard that spironolactone can break down if not kept refrigerated?

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ok, i shook the bottle pretty hard several times and everything seems normal again....

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, I would be a little concerned about adding a watery substance like aloe vera (it IS watery, isn't it?) to something containing spironolactone, for fear that it _may_ interfere with the absorption a little bit. After all, spironolactone is "practically insoluble in water", according to the Physician''s Desk Reference.

I hasten to add that I may be completely off-base here, and adding aloe to the cream may be perfectly fine; however, I mention it just in case...

Bryan

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The aloe vera is more for the scalp, along with the vitiam E. Both work Extremly well in skin thearpy and healing. Even if those two are not absorbed, I still think the spironolactone is.

We will see though

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
The basic fear here is that the watery aloe vera will cause the spironolactone to drop out of solution. If that happens, it almost certainly will not be absorbed.

Bryan

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I believe you are correct really. I had not shaked the solution in 3-4 days and I could Not smell the spironolactone (mentioned earlier) I shoke it hard for 3-4 minutes and that mint smell came back. Everything seperates according to density. I think the denisty of spironolactone/dermovan might be inbetween the aloe (most dense, *estimate*) and the vitamin e. Either that or the spironolactone and dermovan are hardly dense at all. They might just be sitting on top of the solution. I might sit down and try to figure out the density of the spironolactone/dermovan solution . along with the density of the aloe I used and the Vitamin E that I used.

Bryan, the vitamin e I am using is also water soluble. Doesn't that simply mean it disovles in most water bases substances?? (aloe vera) Can these water soluble solutions be combined with the spironolactone dermovan solution? I mixed the spironolactone and the dermovan solution first then added the vitamin e and aloe.