magnesium?

Bigglesworth

Reaction score
so i just read in a description for a certain supplement that magnesium helps reduce dht. any validity to that? i did some further research and found an article saying people can have magnesium deficiency. anyone know anything about this? thanks!

liquidfirex

Reaction score
Magnesium is involved in over 200 bodily processes, so narrowing it down to one function a stretch. It just does too much to say it reduces or can reduce dht.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Bigglesworth said:
so i just read in a description for a certain supplement that magnesium helps reduce dht.

I've never heard such a claim. However, I do STRONGLY recommend taking a magnesium supplement for general health reasons.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dirt-cheap magnesium oxide is fine, as long as you take it with a significant meal (it isn't absorbed well, unless in the presence of stomach acid from a meal).

I've read from trusted sources that amino acid chelates of magnesium can be taken at any time, even on an empty stomach. I hope they are correct about that.

Another good form should be magnesium citrate, which is more soluble than magnesium oxide.

I would probably avoid magnesium carbonate, which is poorly soluble.

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Dirt-cheap magnesium oxide is fine, as long as you take it with a significant meal (it isn't absorbed well, unless in the presence of stomach acid from a meal).

I've read from trusted sources that amino acid chelates of magnesium can be taken at any time, even on an empty stomach. I hope they are correct about that.

Another good form should be magnesium citrate, which is more soluble than magnesium oxide.

I would probably avoid magnesium carbonate, which is poorly soluble.

Magnesium (as hydroxide, succinate, malate, taurinate) are the forms NSI provides one in the 280 dollar a month Synergy Platinum.

poochy

Reaction score
I get migrain headaches once in a while and here its good for that, anyone know whats a good and safe to take. Also does it have any bad reactions with meds like anti-depressants?

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys, I would be careful with magnesium. From personal experience, I took magnesium citrate (normal dosage) for a month. I will admit, like Bryan said, its probably great for general health. It greatly reduced my PVCs and stomach upset. It also I think lowered my anxiety. But there was a great price to pay. I believe this supplement set me far back in terms of hair and scalp health. Within one month, my hair thinned out considerably and my scalp felt like it was on fire. Terrible itch.

I did a search online, and this may be the reason:

"Studies have shown that supplementing with 30mg of Zinc and 450mg of Magnesium per day can elevate testosterone levels up to 30%!"

http://bodybuilding.about.com/od/womens ... terone.htm

Its very strange, I stand behind magnesium completely for heart and stomach upset. But I think it hurts hair badly. Just my experience, I could be totally wrong, but it seemed like more than coincidence as soon as I got off, my scalp returned to normal.

Of course, at the same time, I was taking another new supplement called Lyco-Mato, however I can't see how this would hurt hair since it lowers DHT and has been proven in Harvard studies to help with Prostate cancer. But I got off it at the exact same time I got off magnesium

I actually bought magnesium and lycopene together at the store. Took the recommended dosage for a month. Body felt better but, scalp and hair went to hell. Got off both at same exact time, and things returned to normal.

I should mention that during that time I was on a high glycemic diet (lots of white rice, rice spagetti, basically any rice product) so maybe that was the true culprit all along. Who knows.

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I disagree and feel that magnesium is great for health and should not affect your hair negatively, but only in the right doses and from the right sources.

cacao is a great source of magnesium amongst other things.