Maintenance & realism of wigs

dannyboy80

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a fully bald 30yr old man living in South East London, who's never worn a wig. I've seen a number of hair pieces on this forum which look bloody real:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=61911
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJgSiwDdcok

The questions I have are how long does a hair piece like this last? Is it easy to maintain at home? If a girl runs her fingers through your hair would it come off\would she notice?

I've emailed some clinics and have got quotes back for up to 1,600 gbp.

I have a couple of friends (both full heads of hair) who are successful with the ladies and enjoy the night life. It'd be cool to join them with a bit more confidence on the odd night out and holidays :)

Depending on how I get on, I may start wearing it on a daily basis.

Please advise,
thx
Dan

ps - I'd greatly appreciate recommendations for a UK clinic

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am looking for this things for more than half of year...even if I am just thinning at the front know that an hair transplant will not be an option for me because it will not bring back the hair that I will want...so I am going to try hairpieces...nowdays a wig can look very good...because the factories are using now lighter products like thin lace that can almost totally disappear on the skin...and you can get some good results even with a full wig!
here is a video with a full lace wig!

http://www.hairdirect.com/video/clients ... cenes.aspx

but I can not help you with an UK supplier...I only have heard about hair4all.com

anyway don't pay 1600 pounds for a wig...a high quality wig can cost maximum 600 dollars!
and it can last anywhere between 3- 12 months...it depends most on you and the quality of hair! take care!!!

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Here are some other very realistic hair replacements in my opinion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh6DZrit5UI

http://www.hairdirect.com/video/clients/briguy.aspx

In answer to your question; the best way to go (according to people who do this) is to do it yourself at home. Now if and when I go down this path I will initially go to a salon for the first replacement ..get a template and start ordering online. If you want to go to a physical place I have heard good things about White Cliffs; but like I said I would encourage you to learn to do this at home. Read the forums of Toplace and Hair Direct they will be an invaluable tool for you. If a girl runs her fingers through it she will more than likely not notice a thing.

dannyboy80

Reaction score
Cheers for the tips guys, btw - where in the US would you recommend? I love travelling, so getting a wig on holiday isn't out of the question.

If these treatments really work that well, I'm surprised that there are that many bald men about, seriously a lot of the guys in the links look a lot better with hair.

Generally I think there are only a small minority of guys that can pull off the bald head look well.

machman

Established Member
Reaction score
Dannyboy,you will be amazed at how real these things are,in fact i bet you have met and came across other guys who wear and you just wouldn't know. A lot of guys claim hair transplants for their sudden flowing locks simply because of the stupid stigma that is attached to wearing a wig!
Don't use a salon,they rip you off although they will try to justify their price to you :woot:
Just try one of the internet companies,BA ,Toplace or even HD(although they are a bit more expensive)
Making your own template is very easy,in fact just google it and you will be relieved to see how easy it is!
Your density,in fact the majority of guys, density is around the medium light(roughly 55%-65%) this adds to the realism,especially if you go all SFS lace.Never go with too much density because that is a real giveaway!!
Just ask on any of the hair forums of the companies i mentioned for advice etc..
It really is that easy,not to mention affordable.
Roughly a hair system will last easily 3 months or more,a lot depends on how you treat it,but i can get by with 3 a year no problem.
Now as for women detecting it if they run their finger through your hair!
If you go all SFS and your attachment is good,which is very easy to do with glue,then not even your own fingers can find the edge at times so hopefully that has answered that one for you.
Lastly the only way to get a wig on your head the same day you walk into a place is buying a stock piece.Now they can be ok but it can be hit and miss.
Best going custom and the waiting time for that is generally 8 weeks,but at least that will be ventilated,colour matched etc exclusively to you and your needs.
Good luck and let us know what you plan to do.