Major shedding after 5 months

backintime

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, so I'm not quite sure if this is a first shed or a second shed because my hair was only about 1/4 inch long when I started treatments. I'm now in my 5th month and...wow. My hair over the last week has gotten incredibly thin. I was having some good regrowth at my temples and now all that's gone and then some. I'm looking for encouragement from anyone who had a shed at the five month mark. From what I've read, this usually happens in months 1 - 3 and then a second shed can occur after six months. I'm currently on finasteride, minoxidil and keto shampoo. This has been my regimen for the past five months. Also, my scalp feels irritated and most of the time my hair feels extremely greasy. This is really scary. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
shedding is a good sign that the treatments are working. ride it out the benefits will be worth it. i don't think there is such thing of a fixed time for anyone to shed, everyone is different. your hair follicles are trying to synchronize. stay on the treatments for at least 12-18 months for a proper decision.

wareagle

Reaction score
Have you changed anything, brands of minoxidil or any other part of your treatment. minoxidil made my scalp irritated and inflamed, I don't use it because I felt like it was doing more harm than good for me.

backintime

Established Member
Reaction score
Have you changed anything, brands of minoxidil or any other part of your treatment. minoxidil made my scalp irritated and inflamed, I don't use it because I felt like it was doing more harm than good for me.

Nope. I am VERY consistent with everything. Just gonna keep doing what I'm doing and have faith in the science behind my treatments.

shocktop311

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on finasteride for almost a year. However, I've been on minoxidil for about 6 -7 months. After month 5 I got a pretty bad second shed and it's still going on somewhat strong. It's subsided a tad but I'm still losing some hair in the shower and when I apply the rogaine. I'm sure it's all good and in a month I'll be fine.