Making a higher concentration minoxidil

lukey

Reaction score
I have been pleased with my xandrox15 but not pleased with the prices of these higher concentrations of minoxidil, even from genhair. So I am currently experimenting with some kirkland minoxidil to achieve one with azelaic acid and indeed a higher concentration. So I was wondering how to go about this. Clearly getting hold of some pure minoxidil would be the easiest solution, however I do not know of anywhere that this is available, or at a fair price. So I was thinking of very, very gently warming my kirkland minoxidil, to evaporate the purified water that is added and hence hopefully obtaining a higher concentration. I know this sounds pretty far fetched but just wanting some thoughts on this. Would any heating/ warming damage the minoxidil itself for example?

P.S
I know in theory adding 3ml of 5% minoxidil will deliver the same quantity of minoxidil to the scalp, but i have a strong feeling that concentration really does matter, hence the pleasing performance of x15.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
lukey said:
I have been pleased with my xandrox15 but not pleased with the prices of these higher concentrations of minoxidil, even from genhair. So I am currently experimenting with some kirkland minoxidil to achieve one with azelaic acid and indeed a higher concentration. So I was wondering how to go about this. Clearly getting hold of some pure minoxidil would be the easiest solution, however I do not know of anywhere that this is available, or at a fair price. So I was thinking of very, very gently warming my kirkland minoxidil, to evaporate the purified water that is added and hence hopefully obtaining a higher concentration. I know this sounds pretty far fetched but just wanting some thoughts on this. Would any heating/ warming damage the minoxidil itself for example?

P.S
I know in theory adding 3ml of 5% minoxidil will deliver the same quantity of minoxidil to the scalp, but i have a strong feeling that concentration really does matter, hence the pleasing performance of x15.

I'm not a chemist - but supposedley additives like DMSO and Retin-A increase the absorbtion rate of minoxidil - as does applying minoxidil to a hydrated scalp.

The DMSO can be added directly to the minoxidil.

Things like Retin-A and even Polysorbate 80 can be used individually - have their own hairloss fighting properties, and increase the absorbtion rate of the minoxidil.