male pattern baldness and losing hair on the back and sides

18andbalding?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I first made a post on this forum about a year ago when i was 18 (hence the user name). Well, my hair has got steadily worse since then and my dermatologist has diagnosed me with male pattern baldness.
My current regime is Minoxidill, zinc and iron (because my levels were at the lower end) and biotin pills.
I'm probably going to get on finasteride within the next month.

My problem however is that i am losing hair everywhere. If i pull at any area on my head gently hair comes out. Dosen't matter if its the back or sides or top. Although rarely, i also sometimes see eyebrows falling out.
This really worries me. I've had all the relevant blood tests and everything seems to be fine so i was wondering if any one on here has any ideas about this?

I was also wondering if it would make sense to start taking saw palmetto before i start with finasteride so my body isn't shocked with anti-androgens straight away - does this make sense?

Any info would be great as ive just started uni and the stress this is causing me is the last thing i want right now.

Thanks in advance

Spanishlad

Established Member
Reaction score
If you have been diagnosed with male pattern baldness then you need to start finasteride asap. Dont waste your time with saw palmetto or other herbal supplements.

As for losing hair everywhere is this noticeable cosmetically or have you just noticed the hair falling??

If you cant see it in the mirror, I wouldnt worry about it. We lose hair from all over our heads every day and its completely normal.

18andbalding?

Reaction score
Hi,
I've decided to start finasteride today.
In response to your question. The amount of hair im losing in other areas is not normal in my opinion. i.e a small tug on the very back of my head will leave 3-4 hairs in my hand.
This happens anywhere on my head. Around the ears, back etc. From my reading this is strange no?
Thanks again,

Spanishlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Just be consistent, rest assured knowing you are using the best proven treatment we have. Dont over think things and wait a year before evaluating.

Oh yeah, and good luck :)