male pattern baldness at 24? Regime advice please

golden1

Reaction score
Hello all

I've been following this site for about a couple years now since I've noticed that I might be thinning. The forums have been a wealth of information, but now I really would appreciate everyone's advice regarding my situation. tl;dr at the bottom

It started after a haircut and the barber said I had two "cowlicks" on my crown. Since then, my crown has slowly been thinning to the point that people are pointing it out, and it's been getting me feeling subconscious all the time since I'm still at (what I think) is a fairly young age for male pattern baldness. I've been cutting my hair short enough to where you can't really tell its thinning unless the light sucks. I've been reluctant to start Rogaine or finasteride due to the need to use it basically forever and the side effects I've been reading about. I have a lot of questions that I'm hoping you all can share some advice with me please. I don't know where to start so I guess I'll just go:

A year ago, my scalp started to become itchy and have a "burning" sensation so I progressively started taking the following:
10,000 mcg Biotin everday
25 mg Zinc everyday
T-gel every other day
American Crew Tea Tree Oil conditioner every other day

Noticed some healthier hair but not much growth. The T-gel worked great at stopping the burning and itching though.

I researched more and found everyone saying Nizoral to help with hair loss and it being a "starting point".

So July of last year I switched to Nizoral 1% every other day, keeping the conditioner and the Zinc and Biotin.
It worked good for a month, I saw shedding, but literally a month after I began Nizoral, my hair started to become super itchy again. I changed how long I would keep it on my head (down to only a minute and a half) before rinsing, and that seemed to help some, but to this day Nizoral still makes my scalp itch. My hair did not feel as good as it did with the T-gel (Is it absolutely necessary to use Nizoral over T-gel for hair loss??)

I still saw hair loss so I started taking "Hair Maxx Ultrax Labs" DHT blocking pills in September in addition to zinc, biotin, and nizoral. That has helped my hair feel and look thicker, and it has slowed down the hair loss (pricey though).

Finally about a month ago after becoming annoyed with the itching so I started Pura d'Or Gold.
This has been AWESOME in stopping my itching and making my hair feel good and calm and healthy. So I started alternating the Pura and Nizoral every other day so once every 4 days for either.

Since starting the Pura d'or Gold I've noticed that hairs are falling out a lot and every one of those has a white bulb at the end of it (telogen phase?) but not only are they falling out from my crown, but from all over my head (all around shed?). Like I can literally gently pull on a hair on my crown and I will get a couple hairs that have the bulb at the end.
However a few days ago, I've found redness around the backside of my head, on my crown and below it toward my neck, that are not itchy, are not warm or burning, just a little flakey. I'm wondering if this is seborrhic dermatitis.

SO

1) Is my regime ok, or should I make tweaks? Like is Biotin, Zinc that necessary?
2) Is Nizoral important? Or can I use T-gel?
3) Is Pura d'or and Hair Maxx an adequate replacement for using finasteride? Anyone have experience with the two?
4) Is it a good sign that the hairs that are falling out have a white bulb at the end? I'm hoping that this is cause new hairs are coming in?
5) Anyone have advice on the redness that recently started?

I'm sorry for this very long post, but I really do value all of the advice that you all have been giving here on this forum, so your advice and experience means a lot to me as the doctors I've seen don't really understand/give a crap/know what they're talking about.

Thank you all in advance

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've been reluctant to start Rogaine or finasteride due to the need to use it basically forever and the side effects I've been reading about.

Stopped reading about here. You said you have been following this site for some years then you should know finasteride/minoxidil/nizoral. You plan to use your current regiment forever? How do you know you will experience sides?

shookwun

Reaction score
Long story short, without finasteribe you will go bald.

golden1

Reaction score
Thank you all for the reminder of finasteride- I'm aware.
I'm trying to avoid it and rogaine as I said and would like anyone's experience or advice on the following please:

-Nizoral makes my scalp itchy, can I replace that with just t-gel?
-Experience on Pura d'Or and Hairmaxx. They claim to have DHT properties
-Is it a good sign that the hairs that are falling out have a white bulb at the end?