male pattern baldness has taken my soul (NW6 Heavy Diffuse, 22)

bender2k

Reaction score
Been lurking around the forums for the past couple of months,and figured I might as well introduce myself. My male pattern baldness started becoming noticeable back at the tender age of 15. At the start of grade 9, I realized my hair was becoming see-tthrough at the front. I’ve been a NW2 since I hit puberty, and it hasn’t receeded much since then, so receeding has never been a problem for me. I, however, am a diffuse thinner in the NW6 pattern with heavy crown thinning. Both my big brothers are now NW5-NW6, dad is nw6, grandpas from both parents are nw5. I always knew I was screwed gene-wise.

I had come to terms with my male pattern baldness back in high school and basically told myself that as long as I graduate college with hair, I was good. I moved to a new city for college and was determined to not let male pattern baldness stop my life. Hair loss, however, was ALWAYS on my mind. Avoid the bright lights, avoid water/rain, its like living in a prison.

However, I still made a bunch of friends, built up a good rep around my city, and was always popular with both guys and girls despite my male pattern baldness. Along the way, I’d get the occasional remark about my hair loss, however it was usually from people who I knew were insecure themselves, and so I never let it get to me.

2 years ago, a friend, who is bald himself, told me about finasteride. I used it for 9 months, and, after an initial shed, finasteride really helped my crown and thickened up the rest of my hairs. I thought I had finally defeated this beast that had haunted me for so long. Looking back now, I was reeling in the most tail during my best finasteride results, which is probably not a coincidence. However, I had ED issues from the get-go. I was in denial though, trying to convince myself that it was from drinking too much alcohol or something. After not being able to perform with 4 different girls in a span of 2 month, I finally admitted to myself that finasteride was the cause and stopped it around Aug 2010. Sure enough, libido and ED came rocketing back. However, so did my hair loss.

9 months later, I graduate from college and land a great job. My whole life is going in the right direction, however my hair was getting worst and worst. I decide to try a #2 buzz cut while I was on vacation in the summer, and that’s when reality sunk in. I’ve always had a hair style which lessened the appearance of hair loss. The buzzcut works great if your either a receeder or only slightly diffused. When your moderately to heavily diffused, and all your remaining hairs are minituarized, the buzzcut only accentuates the horse shoe. There is a big difference between balding and actually being bald, and there comes a point where you realized you’ve crossed that threshold. I had just crossed that threshold.

I’ve always been pretty happy in my life, outgoing, enjoyed plenty of different activities. Since that buzzcut, I find I don’t enjoy my life anymore. I grew my hair back out and put a bit of toppik every morning before work, however I still look pretty bald even with the toppik. I sleep whenever I’m not at work. I’ve always been pretty built but find it hard to motivate myself to work out. I’m still close with my friends and see them a lot, but it’s hard to explain why I don’t feel like going to the bar/club to pick up girls anymore.

I’m pretty sure many of you younger mpb’ers are probably in the same boat as me. I buzzed down to a #1 a couple weeks ago to try it out, and I don’t look too bad. I look 5-10 years older with a shaved head, but it looks ok. I still think about getting back on finasteride every now and then, and have been considering starting RU. On other days, I tell myself the battle is already lost and that there’s no point in spending any more time and effort only to fail again.

I really do believe that for young people, male pattern baldness really is one of the worst things in the world, after the obvious others (death of family members, lethal diseases, loss of body functions/limbs). Everything else in life is at least somewhat in your control. At a time when the best solution for hair loss forces you to chose between a working penis and a bit of hair, it really sucks to be bald at 22.

Thanks for the read.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
You've tried it before and know what you're up against, so it's really your call on what to do. There's a risk/reward with finasteride...and you're the only one that can decide for yourself if the reward is worth it.

If you decide to go back on it, then you might try doing it at a lower dose. .25mg (a quartered pill) seems to still get results, while being at a lower dosage. Perhaps at that level it wouldn't affect your "performance" and you could still maintain some hair.

MPBfighter

Reaction score
your story seems very similar to mine. i used to get buzz cuts to cover the baldness....but now it's to the point where it's actually worse with a buzz cut. would you mind posting up some pictures? thanks bro