Mal's Story - (20 / with PICS)

Mal

Reaction score
Okay, so, a little more than a year and a half it kinda just hit me. I had always known in the back of my mind, but I refused to believe that someone could start going bald in their teens. I love my hair a lot, and it just didn't occur to me that this thing could start so early. But, it happaned. And It didn't really weigh heavily on my mind until I was 18 that if I didn't do something quick I would be bald in no time flat. Now, my dad is bald and has been since I've known him.

I heard the gene came from your mother's side. Any my mother's dad had a full head of hair his entire life. My dad's side on the other hand hasn't had much hair at all. But I listened to people so I thought I might be safe.

BeforeHair2edit.jpg

BeforeHair3edit.jpg

As you can see, my hair is kinda stringy here. Granted, these were taken during the summer and I was sweating balls, so it doesn't help matters. Still, this ain't good, folks.

BeforeScapledit.jpg

Again, sweating a lot. But still. Not good.

Not so much. I got rather screwed. So, I went out searching for how to fight this this and I came across this lovely little board. I did a little other research and decided to get it on with the propecia. I never posted here, which I suppose is my bad.

Now, I started the propecia a few days after the above pictures were taken. My big regret in all of this is that I didn't start loosing my hair NOW so I was more prepared instead of a stupid teen and I could have caught this sooner. The pills were started in March 07 with 1 mg a day. I also broke out the Nizoral 1% three times a week.

This is the hair now:

AfterScalp2.jpg

AfterScalp3.jpg

That's more like it, I say! Much thicker. If I didn't know better, I think that looks rather normal. I also use shampoo and conditioner for thin hair, along with defrizing serum (which really works nicely for making your hair look a bit thicker).

AfterBangs2edit.jpg

AfterBangsedit.jpg

I also think my hair in general looks thicker and fuller. People who I hadn't seen in a while were messing with it and commented it seemed a lot better and a lot thicker. This made me very happy, but I do have one problem left. My front isn't what it could be, so I'm gonna work on that.

Front2.jpg

LeftTemple2.jpg

RightTemple.jpg

I just started Rogaine foam on the temples where I lost hair back in early september. You can't see it too well in the photos, but some hairs have been growing in a bit. More on the right temple than the left, but we'll see how it works. Four months may be a bit early to hope for something.

Now, here's my question. I haven't really started the rogaine on any of my existing hair, but I was thinking of doing it in the very front to thicken it up. Do you think I should, or should I just leave it alone? I don't want to get greedy. I'm grateful for what I have and hope I have it for a while with this plan. A lot of guys would kill for this much hair, so I'm gonna do my best not to abuse it.

So, to reiterate here's what I've been using it with the timetable:

Propecia 1mg every day since May 2007. About 20 months.
Nizoral every other day (though for about six months this year I didn't use it. I picked it up again last month)
Rogaine Foam on the temples two times a day for four months.

So, any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated! Thanks all!

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Reaction score
Re: Mal. 20 Years Old.

Glad you realize you have a lot of hair =) I think you're doing fine. Using Rogain (mino) on the hair you already got that's good (unless you mean the fronts thinning out too) can have mixed results usually bad. Your new hair grown may become dependent on it and if you stop, can be not so good. I think wear you're using it is good and everything. Just me =) Good luck!

Mal

Reaction score

Thanks for the reply!

Here's the thing. I have the hair, I part it and see that I have it there. It's just not very thick. Part of me wants to do more stuff with my hair and I'm trying to find a way to make it just a little thicker. Okay, Rogain sounds like a bad idea (though I'm concerened about my front. What do you guys think?)... so I'm trying to think of anything else that could help. Laser Comb seems too expensive and I don't hear many ringing endorsements on the board. Revivogen seems like too much hastle for too little results.

I'm just hoping for a bit of a boost... through as I said before I guess I shouldn't get greedy.

Any thoughts you guys could share would be fantastic. Thanks!

AssignmentZero

Established Member
Reaction score

You're vertex looks pretty solid from those pics..just the front that needs a little work and I don't think finasteride will fill it in so I think you're on the right track with minoxidil.

Keep it up!

amsch

Reaction score

Yeah, you caught it early. Propecia shall do the job.

die_hard

Established Member
Reaction score

Definately a perfect candidate for finasteride

DoctorHouse

Reaction score

amsch said:
Yeah, you caught it early. Propecia shall do the job.
If that were true amsch, I would be one happy camper. Unfortunately, I caught my situation VERY early and Propecia did not save my frontal hairs or hairline. It did not even help me stay near baseline. I do not think Propecia works great for a receding hairline. But for the back of the scalp, it does seem to work better.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
EXACTLY like my hair, but I'm just 3 years younger. I have those curls too and the hairline is the same.

Mal

Reaction score
"There's going to be some shocked young ladies when you shave off your fro"

Yeah... not shaving my head. At least until I get more back in my temples.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever shaved my head.

Thanks for the responses, guys, I appreciate it!

Mal

Reaction score
Alright. I am here with ze one month update. I'm going through a bit of a shed right now. Before, if I tugged on my hair sometimes I wouldn't get anything, sometimes I would get 1, sometimes 2, and rarely I would get three hairs. Now I'm getting 2-3 hairs on tugs and in the shower I'm getting 4-6. Barely anything on the pillow though.

The way I know this is a shed is it's coming from the sides and the back too. In fact, from what I can tell the shed is concentrated around the crown and the back of my head. Not that much from the front. My thinking is that this is a big push until I hit that two year mark on finasteride I keep hearing about. In addition, I started using minoxidil on the front (I brush it up from the hairline with my finger), but not much in the way of results. It's only been one month, so I suspect it's too soon. So, here's hoping this leads to nicer hair.

I'd like to apologize. I'm not using as nice a camera this time around so the detail won't be as good.

The front

DSCN0514.jpg

DSCN0512.jpg

The sides:

DSCN0504.jpg

DSCN0511.jpg

The crown:

DSCN0500.jpg

DSCN0518.jpg

So, yeah. Despite the shedding. I think my crown looks about the same. My temples have been sssslllloooowwwllly filling in a bit thanks to the minoxidil. But I'm expecting that to be a more gradual process. Been using that nizoral every other day, so I hope that helps. I guess I'm lucky. Except for long hair at the end of high school (bad idea. Pony tail wasn't for me...) I've always had this hair style, so there's not too much to notice I suppose.

Anyway. Observations? Suggestions? I'd love to hear opinions. Good night and good luck, everyone!

DHThero

Reaction score
Hello!

By taking a look at your pics, your crown appears to be ok (for now). The front is def starting to thin. WHATEVER YOU DO dont buzz your hair like I did to find out, itll just make you sad haha. If you start on finasteride (aka propecia) you should take very well. I have the same problem but since Im young and caught it early, the pros have been nothing but a plus. Also, go to walmart and pick up some 1% nizoral shampoo. I also have been taking multivitamins with biotin to help (id post the link but I dont want people thinking im selling a product on here.) If your intrested, send me a message and I will send you the link to the site. Dont go on minoxidil right away as you may regret having to use it everyday from now on when finasteride and nizoral would have been enough. Hope this helps!

DHTHero

Mal

Reaction score
DHTHero,

While I appreciate the help, you should read what I wrote in my post. I've been on finasteride for more than a year, as well as the other members of the big three (though min is just for the hairline).

So, thank you very much for your help, but please read the post, as it would better enable you to help me. :)