Mark's Story - ( 22 / Receding Hairline/ Jew Fro/ Help!

Manayz39

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm a 22 year old male, and have noticed my hairline receding for about a year now. I have a "jew fro" so I've been able to cover it up more or less, but I'm worried about it getting worse. A month ago I started using minoxidil on my temples, but after a couple weeks I noticed it was making me lose more hair, so I stopped...Based on these two pictures of my hair, I'm asking:

1. Should I be worried about this?
2. What treatment(s) would you recommend to combat this?

Thanx!!

Oh yeah, and my grandfather on my moms side apparently never went completely bald, but my dad is bald.

Attachments

• hair loss 1.jpg
    hair loss 1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 491
  • hair loss 2.jpg
    hair loss 2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 868

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Re: Opinion on my hairloss (Male, 22 years old)

start the minoxidil again and don't stop it. you usually lose a bit of hair at the beginning, then it regrows in thicker

you might want to start finasteride too

you have miniaturization at the temples...it will only continue to recede, similar to what I have :-\

Manayz39

Reaction score
Re: Mark's Story - ( 22 / Opinion on my hairloss)

Thanks for the reply.... Two things:

The shedding period for minoxidil is very unsettling, just because I feel like I've read a lot of reports from people who claim the initial hair loss never stopped.

As for finasteride, I wanted to do it but propecia is so expensive...I'm assuming there are cheaper knock-off brands? If so, are they as effective?

Really appreciate the reply

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score

Manayz39 said:
Thanks for the reply.... Two things:

The shedding period for minoxidil is very unsettling, just because I feel like I've read a lot of reports from people who claim the initial hair loss never stopped.

As for finasteride, I wanted to do it but propecia is so expensive...I'm assuming there are cheaper knock-off brands? If so, are they as effective?

Really appreciate the reply

Keep up with the minoxidil, it seems to me that most of those people who constantly shed either A) don't take finasteride too or B) they've already lost a lot more hair than you have before they've decided to get on treatments.

And yeah, I use generic finasteride too.

This is the place most people around here order generic finasteride: http://www.inhousepharmacy.biz/

It's legit.

The most popular is Finpecia (1mg pills) or Fincar (5mg pills you split into 1/4ths, they're really tiny though takes a bit of work).

Manayz39

Reaction score

My last 3 questions are:

1. How long would it take (roughly) for my hair to start coming in thicker on a regiment of finasteride/propecia/nizoral ?

2. How much regrowth (roughly) should I expect, if any, on my temples? (given that I think I still have roughly 75-80% of my hair)

3. Could I expect to at least see full hair come in where I currently have miniaturization? (would my hairline move forward, even slightly?)

I know it's impossible to give any sure answers to these questions, but I'm just asking for an opinion based on my pictures and general situation. I just want to have an idea of whether all the effort of applying finasteride/minoxidil everyday is really worth it.

Thank you Thank you Thank you to anyone who replies with an opinion!!!

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
you could consider using proscar or generic proscar and quarter the pills into 4ths
it's much cheaper than the the generic 1mg finasteride options

its hard to say if those miniaturized hairs will come back

some have done extremely well with improving the temple hair with finasteride and min

it all depends on your hair follicles sensitivity to DHT

only time will tell

no one can give you exact facts

if it bothers you, you should consider using treatments

it would take about 6-8 months to see any results with finasteride and min however

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score

Manayz39 said:
My last 3 questions are:

1. How long would it take (roughly) for my hair to start coming in thicker on a regiment of finasteride/propecia/nizoral ?

2. How much regrowth (roughly) should I expect, if any, on my temples? (given that I think I still have roughly 75-80% of my hair)

3. Could I expect to at least see full hair come in where I currently have miniaturization? (would my hairline move forward, even slightly?)

I know it's impossible to give any sure answers to these questions, but I'm just asking for an opinion based on my pictures and general situation. I just want to have an idea of whether all the effort of applying finasteride/minoxidil everyday is really worth it.

Thank you Thank you Thank you to anyone who replies with an opinion!!!

1) No idea. Some people have seen results from Finasteride (propecia) within 2 months. Others take nearly a year. I'm at the 6 month mark and I have seen my loss mostly stop, no more scalp itching, less shedding, and a bit of density reappear but it is only a slight improvement. Most people seem to see their best results around 1 year in.

2) That is 100% unknown. Some people have had full temple regrowth, most have their hairloss simlpy stop or slow down greatly.

3) This will probably require minoxidil. I'm on finasteride and wish my temples would move forward since they only recently have been disappearing, but it doesn't seem likely at this point. Most people who have great results with the temples use minoxidil + finasteride

Manayz39

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. As of now I think I'm gonna start on finasteride, along with minoxidil on my temples, as well as nizoral shampoo...

Any other opinions?

Manayz39

Reaction score
Since I'm going to be applying minoxidil to my temples mainly, would the rogaine foam or the liquid be better for that region?

I'm not assuming that's an answerable question, but just curious..

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Probably around a NW1.5 or NW2.

The problem is the Norwood scale isn't necessarily how people "progress", it's usually where people end up.

Some people are NW3 and then never recede again. People mis-use it a lot, but I just deal with it rather than correcting them LOL

If the rest of your hair is still pretty dense you'll hopefully keep it all.

Manayz39

Reaction score
Ah okay I understand.

Yes I'm excited to get started, just because I think there's a relatively food chance I can regain a lot of hair, as I'm starting relatively early stage of hair loss. I just ordered a 6 month supply of finpecia from inhouse, as well as some kirkland minoxidil and nizoral.

Will post updates

Manayz39

Reaction score
so i just got my finpecia in the mail, so tommorow i start on finasteride/minoxidil/nizoral

will post updates

I'm starting a work out plan soon as well

any chance that a lot of constant vigorous work out can have an effect on the hair while i'm treating it?

thx

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Manayz39 said:
so i just got my finpecia in the mail, so tommorow i start on finasteride/minoxidil/nizoral

will post updates

I'm starting a work out plan soon as well

any chance that a lot of constant vigorous work out can have an effect on the hair while i'm treating it?

thx

Some people will say that, but I don't think so, no science to back up their ideas that working out increases hair loss. My hair loss seems to have stopped on finasteride the past 7 months and I've been working out consistently. I just started on kirkland minoxidil a couple of weeks ago so I'll have to see how that goes.

I think a lot of people in their early 20s start working out and then notice they're losing some hair at the same time. That's what happened to me, but I know my male relatives didn't lose hair from deciding to work out. It's all genetic.

Manayz39

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I was wondering, would it be a better idea to start finpecia and wait to see what it does before adding minoxidil, or rather start both simultaneously?

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Manayz39 said:
Thanks guys.

I was wondering, would it be a better idea to start finpecia and wait to see what it does before adding minoxidil, or rather start both simultaneously?

It's up to you.

I would start finasteride and then wait six months to see if minoxidil is something you'll need. In my situation my hair loss has stopped (I started in mid May so 7 months now?) but I haven't really regrown anything, maybe some minor thickening but the hairline isn't regrowing. I've added in minoxidil for 3 weeks and gonna see where that takes me in the next few months.

Manayz39

Reaction score
Gotcha, that definitely makes sense. I feel like if I'm gonna gain any hair on my temples, it's gonna take both finasteride and minoxidil. As of now, I'm willing to put in the extra few minutes in the mornings and nights to apply minoxidil and get the best possible results, so I think I may just go with the combo from the beggining.

Thanks for the input!