Marks Story - (with pics)

markspe34

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm 22 years old, and just last year I started seeing implications of a receeding hairline. Honestly, people have told me I'm not going bald and it is just the beginning of a mature hairline. However there are others that have admitted to me that they think I'm balding and I should do something about it. I wanted to get some input by a totally unbiased party so thats why I am here. I was thinking of going on finasteride and I already use Nizoral every 3 days. My thought process is although my hair loss is not bad right now, its better to do something about it now than when I'm in a later stage of hairloss. Thank you all for your input and I'll update you all soon.

This last pic is of my hair wet.

Any feedback at all would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

barcafan

Reaction score
Family history?

Does your overall hair condition feel worse in general? Is your scalp irritated?

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
looks fine to me....but id check with a dermatologist!

If you are receding its in the very beginning stages...It doesnt appear as though your hair has thinned out at all.

Pereira

Established Member
Reaction score
your hair is perfect imho.. don't see any obvious hairloss. Family history can be usefull..

markspe34

Reaction score
hi guys.

My dad is fully bald and so is his dad. My mom's dad receeded but never fully went bald but his dad was fully bald. Its not so much that i've lost a lot of hair (although i have lost about a half-inch to both sides of my temples)....its more that the hair i do have is curly, discolored and basically unmanageable on the sides. I used to style my hair with gel messy-like, but now i find that the amount of hair I have in these paticular areas and the length of these "baby" hairs makes this almost impossible. Does this sound familiar to any of you?

This is a picture of me from 2 years ago. I would definitally not be able to style my hair like this anymore.

Thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate it.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
hair looks fine to me, if its my hair, I wouldnt bother with any treatments, as not yet.

k3nn7i

Established Member
Reaction score
Look FINE to me....

Sean68

Reaction score
RaginDemon said:
hair looks fine to me, if its my hair, I wouldnt bother with any treatments, as not yet.

i would. i started finasteride when my hair was like that. if youre worried about it then get on some treatments - its really early but...its only gonna go one way.

markspe34

Reaction score
i mean...if its the start of male pattern baldness even in its earliest forms, i'm gunna start taking finasteride. There's no point in waiting, I would just be delaying the inevitable.

Sean what kind of success and shedding did you have since you had so much hair when you started it? Was it more successfull because you started off with more hair?

giles890

Reaction score
mine was a bit worse than that before i started been on it now 6-7 weeks, got loads of hair growin bout 1.5cm in front of my hair line. Id advise u to get on finasteride at least and nizoral aswell. Rogaine in about 12 months time if its declined any further!

barcafan

Reaction score
With that history theres a good chance you'll develop male pattern baldness. It's probably a good idea to maybe make an appointment with a transplant doctor just to get your scalp mapped for miniaturization (check if theres any hairloss on the top, even if its undetectable). finasteride at this point would be a great move i think.

Primex

Established Member
Reaction score
Well your hair looks great to me, but you're the one that can see it better than anyone since you know what level you were at before. I honestly don't see anything wrong, but I know what it's like to be paranoid about it, so I feel you.

markspe34

Reaction score
I think i'm going to start taking finasteride. I'll update you all with pictures and everything after i see some changes.

markspe34

Reaction score
just popped my first propecia pill. I was nervous as hell and I hope I don't overworry and find side effects that aren't there.

markspe34

Reaction score
one question though. What happens if I am not being proactive about it, and I am just in the process of getting a mature hairline? Can propecia have any negative side effects that would actually cause for me to lose more hair than I originially would? Thanks for the help everyone.

antonio666

Reaction score
markspe34.

your hair at the moment looks good ,to keep it that way,start either propecia or avodart straight away,your family history of balding is very cstrong so get on it asap

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Re:

markspe34 said:
one question though. What happens if I am not being proactive about it, and I am just in the process of getting a mature hairline? Can propecia have any negative side effects that would actually cause for me to lose more hair than I originially would? Thanks for the help everyone.

You need to hear some real advise from a NW6. I am sure they have great comments for your hair loss.