mashang's story 29 with pics

mashang

Established Member
Reaction score
hey were to begin,
i started noticing my hairloss at 22, but i just wore a hat and forgot about it #2 years ago started minoxidil and showed some level of improvement i think,
but last year i started taking .5mg of finasteride along with minoxidil, until Jan 2011 where i upped the dose to a full 1mg and have not missed a day,

so basically i think my hair has got worse while on the treatments, and i have started my first shed after a year on finasteride and minoxidil,

i am terribly conscious about loosing my hair, and constantly touch and feel my hair for any signs of growth , (will this have a negative impact)

can you look at the pictures and let me know your thoughts
the left image is from October 2010 and the right one is from today, 28 june 2011

i think i am loosing ground,

Attachments

• compare.jpg
    compare.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 562

dboy

Reaction score
Yea looks like you've lost some more hair from last year. I recommend a hair transplant...if you got the money...

kabooski

Reaction score
barely any difference really. The right picture looks brighter, so highlights the hairline more. But close up looks like it is mostly holding steady.

mashang

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply
its hard to judge as i see my hair everyday and i would like others views
also i thought i would list my current regime

1mg finasteride daily ( brand name propecia)
2x minoxidil 1mg applications
T-gel shampoo 2x week (do you think i should swap with nizoral???)

thanks

mashang

Established Member
Reaction score
i have not seen any improvements in the crown area either
could it mean i am a slow responder ??

Rawtashk

Reaction score
You don't have to see actual improvement to be a responder. Has your hair maintained? Has the loss slowed down considerably?

I still lose hair, and my hairline is slowly creeping away....but all of my uncles/parents/brothers have been no better than an NW3.5 at my age (27) and I would consider myself NW2-ish. I'm still losing my hair, but at a DRASTICALLY slower rate than I used to be.

mashang

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi CC
and thanks for the reply,
money is not an issue so could double up on minoxidil, (just to mention that i have been on minoxidil since 2008, do you think its minoxidil has lost its effectiveness?)
also i must admit i have not been as strict on my minoxidil applications as i once was.

here is another picture from the top view this was take with flash on like all my pictures...

Attachments

• IMG00439-20110322-0026.jpg
    IMG00439-20110322-0026.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 244

mashang

Established Member
Reaction score
CC thanks Bro,
i will be more strict with my minoxidil and stop skipping days,
as for the stronger brand , i am currently using Kirkland's any recommendations?

if i can maintain what i have for the next 5 years i will be happy,
as for the FUE will deffo be an option in the future

mashang

Established Member
Reaction score
i was thinking,

do you think that because i started minoxidil in April 2008 and then started finasteride in April 2010 that the minoxidil has lost it effectiveness and hence why io am losing ground now?

any thoughts on this ?

mashang

Established Member
Reaction score
here is small update from a few days ago,
any difference

Attachments

• IMG-20111014-00200.jpg
    IMG-20111014-00200.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 213

mashang

Established Member
Reaction score
Cheers CC,
since your last reply, i have been strict with my minoxidil applications,
and making sure the areas are covered , and making sure i use it night and day, my hair is dry as hay now lol

but hopefully it pays off

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Straw-like hair can also become worse if you use a shampoo with Ketaconazol. So if it's really that bothersome try another shampoo.

Also I cannot really tell if you are doing better or worse... Is your hair thinning in a Norwood-A pattern? All I can say for now is keep it up. Maybe give dutasteride a try once you feel your current regime isn't doing to well. It surely worked for my frontal hair, but then the rest got worse after the sheddings... If you don't expect a shed from the switch, give it a try I'd say.

Good luck man. Stay strong (that's to everyone here really).

mashang

Established Member
Reaction score
Deadlocks, thanks for the words bro..
i am only applying nizoral/Keto, to the thinning area (that you see on the pictures)
i am washing the rest of my hair now with tresemme thickening shampoo,
hopefully my hair texture gets slightly more manageable..

regarding the scale, where u see in my photos is my area's that have been hit with male pattern baldness, so basically the middle of my hair line has receded and my crown also,.... so if that is a A patten ???

My dad is an NW6 and so is my older brother is an NW5 Now (he was on finasteride for 3 years with good results but then decided to give it up)

i also have slight diffuse loss on my vertex area but i think its since my last shed in the latter summer months.

hopefully i get some thickening and regrowth with all the extra minoxidil i am taking now along side finasteride...

if this current regime seems to lose its effects i will look into stronger stuff,
or jump on the Wig wagon well see...

mashang

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what Norwood would you say i am currently at?

mashang

Established Member
Reaction score
just a small update..
looks like not much has changed since my last photo.. (looking at pictures)

but I feel like my hair is losing density all round and hair feels slightly more limp ..
hair is drier , and texture feels weird , like more wirey if you like
still on my regime ...

no noticeable shedding since last April

mashang

Established Member
Reaction score
little update,
hairs feels and looks worse, have been strict with my regime... guess i am a non responder :(