Massive Hairloss from Propecia [Shed?]

baldydude

Reaction score
Hello, I'm 20 years old and I started taking 1mg propecia oral daily roughly 3 months ago when I started to notice the classic male pattern baldness receding hairline. It really wasn't that bad to be honest, I just wanted to stop it from progressing.. Anyway fast forward 3 months... I'm experiencing massive hair loss all over my scalp. Now I've heard of people experiencing sheds but I never knew to what extent.. My hair has become very thin. It's not immediately noticeable to others as of yet but if it continues at this rate I will have no other choice but to shave my head. Right now it's fairly long, but I'm afraid of cutting it short because it is so thin. I also have been experiencing minor sexual side affects, not horrible, but still annoying. Anyway do you think I should just stop taking the propecia, or continue? Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.

Btw, I have been cutting fincar into fifths and taking it that way if it matters.

baldydude

Reaction score
My additional hair loss seems to be very consistent with a telogen effluvium shed brought on by the finasteride... Does nayone have an idea of how long this is supposed to last?

baldydude

Reaction score
So just in case that I wanted to stop taking the Propecia, due to my no longer really caring about my hair loss (inevitably being bald doesnt bother me) and the annoyance of the sexual side affects... is there anything BAD that can happen from me just stopping cold turkey? I'd rather not experience accelerated hair loss from just stopping.

Kaze

Established Member
Reaction score
Baldydude,

I have had the exact same experience. Its been 8 months now. The shedding all over has slowed but it seems to still be occuring. Hairs are still going into telogen. I noticed thinning probably 2 weeks in. Density seems to have decrease over 50 percent. Here are my symptoms outlined:
Extreme itchy scalp all over head started in first two months.
Red bumps everywhere through out scalp at base of folicles. Wierd sesame seed looking things coming out of my scalp all over.

Do you have these same symptoms?

baldydude

Reaction score
Nah man I don't have any sort of bumps or rashes on my scalp, just incredibly reduced hair density. I was going to buzz my hair down with something like a level 2 or something but I'm kind of afraid to do that since it may end up looking pretty bad since the density is so low...

Kaze

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, same here. Just go to a good hair cutter and cut it as short as possible without showing thinning. Keep it medium length so the over lapping hairs cover the density loss. They should be able to do it. Yeah I am in the same boat. My hair is grossly thin.

Can you take a look at my story in the my story section and check my photos. I think you have the exact same thinning as me. Let me know if it looks the same.

I am 8 months in and havnt seen any thing positive happen. Im gonna call a doctor tomorrow and request blood tests for everything that causes hairloss.