Massive Shedding Lately

Danik0226

Reaction score
Not sure if this should fall under the Shedding forum, but I decided to place it here for some insight. I've been on Finasteride for about 2 years now, and I used minoxidil for a small patch of hair on the crown. I also use Nizoral about twice a week. For a while things seemed to be fine and at the very least I was keeping what I have, but lately the shedding has been severe. I have an itch from time to time, along with a massive amount of white flakes that will come off easily either by brushing or by putting my fingers through my hair.

I saw a study not too long ago that showed lavender with a carrier oil is effective for hair loss. I started using grapeseed oil, lavender oil, and tea tree oil by massaging it into my hair about 20 minutes before taking a shower to remove it. This was after the major shed along with major dandruff. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried using essential oils to deal with dandruff and scalp conditions, and whether or not it improved their hair.

I'm at a loss as to why I've experienced this massive shed. My hair line had receded some, but the thickness of the existing hair was fairly good. Now it is to the point where it is becoming extremely noticeable. Any advice?

Attachments

• IMAG0024.jpg
    IMAG0024.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 304

ssnow

Reaction score
What shampoo and products are you using? I have met a few people who claim that Rosemary is supposed to be a great oil to regenerate the hair folicles. I have heard mixed feedback from new hair growth to slowing/stopping the falling out. I have used Peppermint and melaleuca which really give you a tingly wake up call, so I feel like it stimulates the scalp. Which oils are you trying?

Danik0226

Reaction score
ssnow said:
What shampoo and products are you using? I have met a few people who claim that Rosemary is supposed to be a great oil to regenerate the hair folicles. I have heard mixed feedback from new hair growth to slowing/stopping the falling out. I have used Peppermint and melaleuca which really give you a tingly wake up call, so I feel like it stimulates the scalp. Which oils are you trying?

Nothing special. On the occasion I use a grapeseed, lavender, and tea tree oil mixture. Usually I let it sit on the scalp for about 20 minutes prior to taking a shower to wash it off. I use Nizoral 2 to 3 times a week, and a Green Tea Shampoo as well as an Aloe Vera shampoo the other days. Sometimes it is very soothing and gets rid of the flakes, while others it does not. I may consider throwing Peppermint in the mix, which I believe has been used in some hair products to reduce inflammation and itch.

Part of the reason I believe I may be having this problem is that I had to take a relatively high dose of prednisone last Summer to deal with a very bad case of sun poisoning. I have heard that the hair cycle can change from better to worse within the 3 to 6 months after taking it, however, it seems like it has been long enough for those hairs to regrow. Has anyone had any experience with prednisone shedding?