Mastaflex2002's Story - (detailed PICS and info)

mastaflex2002

Reaction score
Hello I will be 25 years old this July. I have recently got to the point of a "noticeable difference" in my temple and crown area. I feel that my hairline in the upper left and right of my temple area is thinning and becoming more noticeable. The front of my hairline also appears to be receding very slowly. I have included pics of my father who is in his 50's and still has pretty good hair. I am not sure if my recision is just a maturing hairline progressing into what very similarly resembles that of my fathers. My grandfather on my father's side in his 80's has my father’s hairline. I am concerned because my grandfather on my mother’s side is completely bald and all my moms’ sisters’ sons have also lost their hair except one of them.

My hair has always been very fine and my scalp has always been easily viewed if my hair is wet or styled wet with gel as can be seen in the senior picture from 2002 (the one with the bow tie). Some of the pictures where my hair is more shiny were taken when wet after the shower. I have always had some scalp visible in the crown area just like my father but hair is much finer so it is more noticeable. The crown area is slowly becoming more and more noticeable and I am concerned that if untreated it will continue. I also took a picture of my pillow in which contains hairs shed from about 3 nights of sleeping on it. I know it is normal to shed a certain amount of hair per day but I would appreciate if someone could look at the pic and evaluate it. I do not seem to find hairs in the sink and only notice a few hairs falling out when styling my hair.

I plan on starting Nizoral 1% shampoo twice a week and using Rogaine foam on the temple area (sides and front hairline) and on the crown. I will use the foam once a day to see how my scalp reacts to the treatment and gradually let my body adjusts and possibly increase to twice a day. I also plan on making an appointment with a dermatologist to get a professional evaluation. I would like to start Proscar (5 mg cut into 5ths) 1mg per day. I feel that I have reached that "noticeable difference point" and would just be happy to maintain what I have with the Proscar and possibly hope for some slight regrowth combined with Rogaine.

All in all I would appreciate if members could evaluate my pics and give me some feedback. I would also be glad to post updates with photos for anyone interested. Thank you for your time. Please click on the photos for larger images.

Father

Father

Father

Crown wet hair

Crown dry hair

Right Temple dry hair

Left Temple dry hair

Left Temple dry hair

Higschool Senior Pic 2002 Hairline

Hairline 2007

Hairline 2009

Hair shed on pillow after 3 nights

Hairline wet hair

Left temple wet hair

Right temple wet hair

Front wet hair

Left Temple wet hair

Right temple wet hair

Front dry hair

Crown dry hair

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: Serious evaluation needed (detailed pics and info)

Your hairline doesnt look bad man. The picture with your hair "front wet" is like mine on one side. I can hide it with my fringe forward so im not too bothered by it unless it gets worse. The crown however should be your focus point its not bad but i can see thats where your most noticeable hairloss is. Your chosen treatment is a good resolution to treating your hairloss. Im convinced you can get most of that hair back no sweat with that regimen. Hairline could be a little trickier as it could just be maturing in which case theres little you can do about that one but dont worry its a pretty decent hairline and im sure you can maintain it.

Flavio

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Serious evaluation needed (detailed pics and info)

Your hair looks great and if this really is male pattern baldness (only a dermatologist can assess that) you should start treatment as soon as possible. Good luck!

A

Administrator

To be completely honest, it looks like you've already reached your dad's stage. At least going by the pics. You've got extremely extremely minor receding and that's about it. I can see you've lost about a quarter to a half inch on your front hairline since you were young, which, by the way happens in about 90% of men, whether or not they ever actually start "losing hair".

Your dads pics are encouraging because they are at least a slight indicator that even by age 45 you're not going to look any different than you do right now, hairline-wise. He just styles his like a 45 year old. You style yours more "hip" but honestly, the hairline looks almost exactly the same. Try parting your hair like an old man sometime and compare it to your dads pic. Bet they look identical.

Point being, your hair may thin by 5 to 10% over the next 30 years, and ... if you want to you can try Propecia but its a powerful drug best saved for when your pillows are covered in hair, and you're seeing skin everywhere there used to be hair.

Admin

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
IMO it looks like your crown is slightly thinning and maybe a little frontal miniaturization

i would see a derm to see if its early male pattern baldness and go from there

finasteride is probably your best bet though for maintenance and possibly re growth

i think you are on the right step combatting male pattern baldness
:firing:

good luck with your treatments and remember to take baseline pics and pics every 3 months or soo

cheers

mastaflex2002

Reaction score
As of today I started Nizoral 1% shampoo. My shipment of Rogaine foam also came in but I am debating if I should start using it or not. My main concern is prevention and to just keep my hair as best I can where it is at. With the slight anti-androgen properties of ketoconazole in Nizoral I figure it couldn't hurt where I am at and is a good first step in prevention. I have been consuming high amounts of broccoli, spinach, blueberries, green apples, oatmeal, EFA's, and resveratrol supplement for two months and my hair has gotten noticeably healthier and definitely appears to be more dense and seems thicker. I am thinking of waiting for a few more months to see if my diet and addition of Nizoral will have any effect on my hair. Since Rogaine has no effect on DHT and has to be continually applied once started I will probably wait to start using it so I am not applying something unnecessary. I could start the Rogaine on my crown area to see if I could fill it in a bit but ultimately if I start using it I want to put it my temples and hairline area also. I am waiting for my health insurance to start up again and plan to see the dermatologist to see if Propecia will be needed. Should I start the Rogaine or just continue with my line of thinking?

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
insurance wont cover propecia

it sometimes covers proscar, but since you are using it for cosmetic reasons i dont think they would cover it either .........but give it a shot

if your minor hair loss bothering you that much i would go on treatments as soon as possible

minoxidil is really good at reviving hair follicles, but i think it can also help you keep the hair that you have currently

whats keeping you from going on finasteride?

i suggest you consider finasteride first and then add others later down the road

finasteride usually work very well with early mbp

the dht is the main culprit of hair loss and once you suppress that you may get good results

you have the right idea of if you are going to make the commitment to use minoxidil you should use it everywhere you need to ....all or nothing

on the bright side though, you may never experience more loss than you have now.....you and your dad have very similar hairlines

maybe your hairline is just your "mature one" god i hate term