Maximum scar's width and length of a first-time Strip Surg.?

s.a.f

Reaction score
There are no guestimates with a hair transplant each person has their own idividual characteristics, skin laxity ect. Only a consultation with a surgeon can really give you any idea.

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f on average I mean. I do not expect an answer like 5.3 cm or something like that. I am especially concerned with the width.

Petchsky

Reaction score
2mm, i'm not sure, i just have that figure in my head, i saw that quoted on another site, but like SAF said, there is no universal figure.

CCS

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
There are no guestimates with a hair transplant each person has their own idividual characteristics, skin laxity ect. Only a consultation with a surgeon can really give you any idea.

Even they can only give you a guestimate.

A scar is the result of healing. Right after surgery, there is no scar. If you mean after 6 months, it really does very. If you like to tilt your head down a lot, you will stretch the scar really bad. Never heard of anyone getting worse than 1 inch. Most people are between 1/8 and 1/4 inch, though if the hair grows out of the scar with the right procedure, it can be hidden really well.

If a strip is closed right and you respond well, it can be much better than FUE. But I've only had that happen to me once out of 3 strips, the 2nd one. The rest were 1/4 inch scars.

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I AM TALKING ABOUT THE INITIAL SCAR. AT THE TIME OF SURGERY NOT AFTERWARDS. BEFORE THE SURGEON CLOSES IT.

s.a.f

Reaction score
The size of strip the Doctor removes (is that what you're on about?) depends on how much donor you need. Also the size of your head, density of your donor hair ect. I believe Hassan and Wong have taken strips that are like over 30cm x 3.5cm for their mega sessions!!!! But I guess usualy it'll be like 20-25cm x 2-2.5cm.

CCS

Reaction score
Petchsky said:
2mm, i'm not sure, i just have that figure in my head, i saw that quoted on another site, but like SAF said, there is no universal figure.

If a Doctor quotes a width, multiply it by at least 2.

CCS

Reaction score
thylax said:
I AM TALKING ABOUT THE INITIAL SCAR. AT THE TIME OF SURGERY NOT AFTERWARDS. BEFORE THE SURGEON CLOSES IT.

DId you not read what I just wrote? I'm trying to educate you and you are not even bothering to read what I said. there is NO scar at the time of surgery.
Scaring does not occur until much later, as part of the healing process. So ZERO mm is your answer.

Now, if you want to know the width of the CUT, not the scar, then that is about 1/2 cm on average. It depends on how long the cut is. Cuts are usually as short as 4 inches to as long as ear to ear, and are 1/4 inch wide to as much as 3mm wide. Just depends how many follicles you are harvesting and their density. They also cut under the skin so they can stretch the skin closed. Probably 4 inches wide under the scalp is detached so it can be stretched closed. Just depends on skin laxity and how far they need to stretch.

If you are talking about 1400 grafts, here is a guestimate to make you happy: They might cut 8 inches by 1/3 inch, and the detach another 1/2 inch of scalp above and below the cut borders so they can stretch it shut.

Guys who get 3cm wide cuts are harvesting 8000 grafts in one procedure. I think that is crazy to do. But the after pics were not bad. I still would not want it to be me. Might not have been even 3 cm for them. If the Doctor went long, the strip might have been a bit thinner than that.