medmax84's story - (Wowsa, 23 and thinning... w Photos)

medmax84

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a second year med student and my first year of med school (and more gradually since I graduated high school) has seen a vast thinning in the overall density of my hair. In high school, I had a thick head of hair that could be parted down the middle with complete coverage. It was able to be grown long and was wavy. :shakehead:

At the age of 23, I find myself thinning at the temples and at the crown. A few years ago, I started using minoxidil 5% once daily in the AM. I hate sleeping in it and thinking that I'm getting it on my pillow and then rolling my face around in it! First, I used the generic store brand. About a year ago, I switched to MiN Agent (5% minoxidil plus a few other goodies) and began a shampoo regimen from MiN as well. A year later, my hair continues to thin at the crown especially where I can see the beginnings of a bald spot!! AT 23!

I have been contemplating beginning Propecia in addition to my once daily minoxidil. I realize that I can no longer quit minoxidil, but I do not want to increase my dosage as it will increase the withdrawal symptoms/shedding if I D/C its use. Propecia initially looks like a great option to combat hairloss in terms of halting or even regrowing my hair. I have read that my likelihood of success would be greater because I am younger. Conversely, I have a very active sex life and am actually dating someone that I REALLY like. The other night, I could tell she could notice the thinning because she mentioned I shouldn't run my hands through my hair because I have a nice head of hair and I'd make it fall out. If I start Propecia, I am worried that my libido and/or my ability to attain arousal would decrease. I am GREATLY interested in other people's experiences with the drug and am open to other possibilities as well. Experiences both good and bad are welcome.

It will be great sharing my experiences. Hopefully my "story" becomes one of success. Thanks everyone for you input! :)

//EDIT: New posts to come with before pics.//

Prince V

Reaction score
Re: Wowsa, 23 and thinning...

I'm 23 as well and noticed I have been diffuse thinning maybe for a year to 2 years. I have been on finasteride (propecia but the next batch will be proscar cut into fifths) for 10 weeks now. I noticed a strange little tingling feeling in my testicles lasting for a couple of seconds in the first couple of weeks but this went away by maybe week 3. At the moment I have no side effects. No loss of libido and my performance in the bedroom department is as normal- terrible! No seriously, for me it's all good but who knows what may lie down the road. No change in my hair at present but I'm going to review things at the 6 month stage.

Scratchdisk

Reaction score

Hi,
Re Finpecia - Propecia
I tried it for a year, it stopped me losing more hair, but my libido crashed. I could still perform. Marked difference though, you know what i mean... But it was like living as an old man.. Crazy..

Ps. I think i had other side effects, but was lots going on at the time.. So won't spread any rumors.

I came off it, felt better, Libido is back.... Alright! Some people reporting serious loss even after stopping. Fingers crossed for them.

I read that, if you space the dose or divide the pill you can get the same effect, and reduced sides. As i felt it worked I'm gonna try again, one tablet every four days. If i get sides again... I'll try Revivogen as DHT suppressent.

I've just started Rogaine/ minoxidil. gel 2% I'm shedding... Which is a pain.. as i see scalp under the light... Mental. Hopefully I'll see it fill in, after a fortnight or so.. Has anyone any opinions on how long shedding stage lasts? Does Rogaine help with your hairline?

Cheers

ali777

Reaction score

Scratchdisk said:
I've just started Rogaine/ minoxidil. gel 2% I'm shedding... Which is a pain.. as i see scalp under the light... Mental. Hopefully I'll see it fill in, after a fortnight or so.. Has anyone any opinions on how long shedding stage lasts? Does Rogaine help with your hairline?

Cheers

I have the same problem at the moment. I can see minoxidil is working. I have some new baby hair, but I can see my scalp more than before. I'll keep using it for now.

ali777

Reaction score

medmax84 said:
Hey guys,

I am a second year med student and my first year of med school (and more gradually since I graduated high school) has seen a vast thinning in the overall density of my hair. In high school, I had a thick head of hair that could be parted down the middle with complete coverage. It was able to be grown long and was wavy. :shakehead:

At the age of 23, I find myself thinning at the temples and at the crown. A few years ago, I started using minoxidil 5% once daily in the AM. I hate sleeping in it and thinking that I'm getting it on my pillow and then rolling my face around in it! First, I used the generic store brand. About a year ago, I switched to MiN Agent (5% minoxidil plus a few other goodies) and began a shampoo regimen from MiN as well. A year later, my hair continues to thin at the crown especially where I can see the beginnings of a bald spot!! AT 23!

I have been contemplating beginning Propecia in addition to my once daily minoxidil. I realize that I can no longer quit minoxidil, but I do not want to increase my dosage as it will increase the withdrawal symptoms/shedding if I D/C its use. Propecia initially looks like a great option to combat hairloss in terms of halting or even regrowing my hair. I have read that my likelihood of success would be greater because I am younger. Conversely, I have a very active sex life and am actually dating someone that I REALLY like. The other night, I could tell she could notice the thinning because she mentioned I shouldn't run my hands through my hair because I have a nice head of hair and I'd make it fall out. If I start Propecia, I am worried that my libido and/or my ability to attain arousal would decrease. I am GREATLY interested in other people's experiences with the drug and am open to other possibilities as well. Experiences both good and bad are welcome.

It will be great sharing my experiences. Hopefully my "story" becomes one of success. Thanks everyone for you input! :)

One question: is it too late for you to become a dermatologist? It might be a daft question, I don't know how medical school works. You could go into that field and put your personal passion into it.

As for the sides. I've been reading the forum for some time, and not many people report ED. The libido definitely changes for many users. If I had to perform, I could probably do it everyday with no problem but it does require a bit more work. Your lady might take that as a negative sign that you don't find her sexually attractive.

PS: Man, I had great sex life when I was your age too :punk:

ps1freak

Established Member
Reaction score

i was on propecia for 1.5 years before adding minoxidil and the results were awesome

propecia will maintain - which is what you need

in fact I the minoxidil will work even better after you start propecia

bubka

Reaction score

been on finasteride only for over 8 years, had nice regrowth and maintained

medmax84

Established Member
Reaction score

ali777 said:
medmax84 said:
Hey guys,

One question: is it too late for you to become a dermatologist? It might be a daft question, I don't know how medical school works. You could go into that field and put your personal passion into it.

As for the sides. I've been reading the forum for some time, and not many people report ED. The libido definitely changes for many users. If I had to perform, I could probably do it everyday with no problem but it does require a bit more work. Your lady might take that as a negative sign that you don't find her sexually attractive.

PS: Man, I had great sex life when I was your age too :punk:

It's still possible to become a dermatologist, yes. There are other factors, however, that make it unlikely. Dermatology is a very competitive specialty as it has good hours and excellent pay and you have the choice whether or not to take insurance. My chosen career path also limits it... I can't say for the sake of anonymity but let's just say that I've taken out a "work contract" with a large, limiting employer in advance of my med education.

medmax84

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: medmax84's story -(Wowsa, 23 and thinning...) NOW w Photos

So been on propecia for exactly one week. No results yet (of course), although I have been getting less hairfall in general the last month or so. I think it's probably seasonal, plus I've been dosing my minoxidil a little more regularly than before. With fall coming up (a known shedding season), we'll see how well the propecia/minoxidil combo is working.

I've gotta get on the pics. I have them, so before/after stuff will be available once I stop being so damn lazy.

Anyway, pertaining to the side effects of propecia thus far, I haven't found it to impede my sexual abilities, however I do feel as though I am slightly sexual in general. I've had zero trouble with my significant other and today I even got "morning wood", so hopefully it's all in my head :)

I've been leaving my saw palmetto/azelaic acid/copper peptide shampoo soak in more lately before using my conditioner. I don't know if this really has any effect, but I figured it probably couldn't hurt. I've also started using a different conditioner that doesn't have supplements in it. I think the texture of my hair has benefitted from this. I am still toying with the idea of beginning Nizoral, but I can't see adding an antimicrobial to the regimen if the other two work on their own, because of the problems associated with bacterial resistance, etc.

That's about it for now.

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score

You said you just feel less sexual/think less about sex than before. I think you should try to notice if you get spontaneous erections as often as before. If you don't, I doubt it's only in your head.

medmax84

Established Member
Reaction score

Norsk said:
You said you just feel less sexual/think less about sex than before. I think you should try to notice if you get spontaneous erections as often as before. If you don't, I doubt it's only in your head.

I have noticed less spontaneous erections. Is this cause for concern if I don't mind it?

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score

I think so. Do you really think it's your mind causing that?

Your experience seems similar to the way mine started. I noticed on day 2 that spontaneous erections were almost gone. And my sex drive was lowered. I could (and can) still "force" myself to get horny if I wanted to, but it wouldn't happen "out of the blue" anymore. My libido never felt like it "burned" inside me anymore. After a while I realized I had less penile sensitivity, too. In general my orgasms felt slightly weaker, and the sensations before orgasm were much, much weaker.

I still wanted my hair, so I kept on taking proscar for 6 months hoping the side effects would go away. I was in a way sacrificing some of my quality of life for my hair, hoping it would only be temporary. Then I started noticing I had sort of puffy nipples. And I started feeling some aches around my nipples as well. I got really scared of gyno, and decided it wasn't worth it anymore, and quit.

I was expecting side effects to go away within a few weeks, and even hoping for a massive increase in libido within days, like some people have experienced. Any gyno sensations (whether they were imagined or not) went away fairly soon, but the sexual side effects didn't go away. I still have them now 4.5 months after quitting. Sometimes I think they have improved a small amount since I quit, sometimes I don't. But definitely not a full recovery yet.

If I were you I'd stay on the drugs for maybe a few weeks and see if they go away. If they don't, ask yourself whether you want to live the rest of your life with these side effects or not. I believe long-term finasteride use gives higher risk of permanent side effects than a few weeks' use.

If you quit after 3-4 weeks and the side effects go away, you can always go back on finasteride again a bit later without having lost much ground.

Keep in mind in a few years we might have a cure, anyway, so I don't think it's worth it if you damage your sex life permanently.

Sorry I'm such a spoilsport.

medmax84

Established Member
Reaction score

Norsk said:
I think so. Do you really think it's your mind causing that?

Your experience seems similar to the way mine started. I noticed on day 2 that spontaneous erections were almost gone. And my sex drive was lowered. I could (and can) still "force" myself to get horny if I wanted to, but it wouldn't happen "out of the blue" anymore. My libido never felt like it "burned" inside me anymore. After a while I realized I had less penile sensitivity, too. In general my orgasms felt slightly weaker, and the sensations before orgasm were much, much weaker.

I still wanted my hair, so I kept on taking proscar for 6 months hoping the side effects would go away. I was in a way sacrificing some of my quality of life for my hair, hoping it would only be temporary. Then I started noticing I had sort of puffy nipples. And I started feeling some aches around my nipples as well. I got really scared of gyno, and decided it wasn't worth it anymore, and quit.

I was expecting side effects to go away within a few weeks, and even hoping for a massive increase in libido within days, like some people have experienced. Any gyno sensations (whether they were imagined or not) went away fairly soon, but the sexual side effects didn't go away. I still have them now 4.5 months after quitting. Sometimes I think they have improved a small amount since I quit, sometimes I don't. But definitely not a full recovery yet.

If I were you I'd stay on the drugs for maybe a few weeks and see if they go away. If they don't, ask yourself whether you want to live the rest of your life with these side effects or not. I believe long-term finasteride use gives higher risk of permanent side effects than a few weeks' use.

If you quit after 3-4 weeks and the side effects go away, you can always go back on finasteride again a bit later without having lost much ground.

Keep in mind in a few years we might have a cure, anyway, so I don't think it's worth it if you damage your sex life permanently.

Sorry I'm such a spoilsport.

That's my plan anyway. I have no trouble with erections and orgasms are still great. I woke up with two "morning wood" s last night, but I do think that I ruminate about sex less than I used to. All it's gonna take is one flop in the bedroom with a girl for me to quit the stuff.

Did you wean off of finasteride or did you stop cold turkey? I hope that your sexual ADRs return to normal soon. Have you seen an endocrinologist?

Norsk

Established Member
Reaction score

Since I used Proscar (and Propecia is tricky to get hold of in Norway) it was hard to get really small doses. I went from 1/4 Proscar per day to 1/8 per day for maybe 1-2 weeks, then 1/8 every other day for maybe a week, then quit. I have had no worsening or new side effects showing up after quitting, which some really unlucky guys have experienced.

I haven't seen anyone about my problems yet. I'm still kind of hoping they will fade away slowly, since I have read that other people have experienced that the side effects took a long time to disappear.