Mehmoo's Story - (22yr old - Thinning Crown & Frontal - pix)

Mehmoo

Reaction score
I've been lurking here for a while now, and felt it about time I post my story.

I'm now 22, and my hair loss first began mid-2005. Starting with the crown, the front began to thin out towards the end of 2005. I wasn't so bothered about the crown, but the front bothered me very much. Naturally, I was worried what was wrong so I went to the doctor. He did blood tests, checked me out and said "well I can say it's not male pattern baldness, as your hair isn't losing in the normal places to be that." he left it at that and said "for all we know, it's going to grow back. I think it's likely to be stress."

Cut to almost two years later and my hair is thinner than ever. The front has become much worse, but the crown seems to be deteriorating at a slower rate. In October 2006 it became harder to style without it looking thin. I thought there definitely must be something up and finally again went to the doctor June 2007 (this time a different guy). He checked out my hair and said "well it looks like male pattern baldness to me, but as this problem with your hair has been address before, it may be something else such as a fungal infection." so blood tests again. They came back okay, and his diagnosis was indeed male pattern baldness.

He told me about Finasteride and said "because you're quite young, your follicles are likely to respond much better to treatment than say someone 15 years older than you, I recommend you get on the treatment as soon as possible, but not only this but minoxidil aswell." and then he told me the price - £30 a month for the Finasteride. There'd be no way I could afford that. It was a good news/bad news kind of moment. Then he said "however, it's expensive I can understand. So an alternative is Proscar. This was initially prescribed for prostate cancer sufferers but studies found it also is able to reverse male pattern baldness, or at least stop it. It's much cheaper - £20 for a three month supply, however you must cut the pill up into 4's, or 5's to last for four months."

I was overjoyed, finally there could be something that will help me out. Now I've been on Proscar 1.5mg since 18th June 2007, and Regaine 5% solution since 28th June 2007. The front is now worse than ever and I can't do that much with my hair these days. The crown doesn't bother me as I can't see it, now as it is it seems to be that the hair has just turned to the vellus hairs and not that many have fallen out. With the front, it's the same, but there are hairs missing. I've never noticed hair falling out, just the usual amount in the shower. I've had some support from people but some have said "why bother? Why don't you just go bald gracefully?"

The only noticeable side effects I've had has been very bad spots around the temples and on my forehead near to where I apply the Regaine solution. Other than that, there's been no problems.

Here are pictures of my hairline. With the right hairstyle, I could kind of hide it from looking as bad. But now...not so much.

january2006nx7.jpg

june2006ms8.jpg

oct2006ij2.jpg

january2007qy1.jpg

april2007em6.jpg

june2007fd7.jpg

dr_jekyll

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey man

Looks like youve caught it early - I used to style my hair like yours to try and hide the thinning (have a look at my pics now)

Hope you treatments work - Ive just started with the same regimen

Good Luck

Mehmoo

Reaction score
dr_jekyll said:
Hey man

Looks like youve caught it early - I used to style my hair like yours to try and hide the thinning (have a look at my pics now)

Hope you treatments work - Ive just started with the same regimen

Good Luck
Thank you :thumbs_up: Good luck with yours too. We've started roughly the same time so maybe we'll both be seeing good results same time too...fingers crossed lol.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
your hair looks better in June 2007 pic than April 07 pic.

Mehmoo

Reaction score
Re: Mehmoo's story

Well I've been on my regime for just over three months now. So far, I've not noticed much improvement, but then, it hasn't become worse either - it pretty much looks the same to me, although people have commented that it looks "different" but good kind of "different".

I'm not sure if I've actually gone through a major shed yet; the amount of hairs when I'm washing it seems roughly the same amount. So I guess it's still to come.

I'm not disappointed I've not seen major results yet, unlike a few people here. I'm still positive and going to keep on with it!

RaginDemon

Reaction score

maintaining very well brotha.

Mehmoo

Reaction score

RaginDemon said:
maintaining very well brotha.
Thank you, it seems to be working!

As I said, I've not noticed much difference at the front, but the back, maybe. I took a picture of the back just before I began my regime, which I promptly deleted because I hated looking at it. I took some photos of the back of my head today and there is a difference...well, it seems:

backofheadqa3.jpg

RaginDemon

Reaction score
its a little bit hard to compare since the length and lighting are different.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
i still cant compare due to the lighting difference.

Mehmoo

Reaction score
When I started my treatment, I said my hair was thinner than ever. Now 7 months in, I would say I've reached new levels of being even thinner, still.

It seems for a good several weeks now I've been going through quite a heavy shed. The shed's I've previously experienced have been quite minimal and passed quickly. This one, however, seems endless. But it's to be seen as a good thing...

The ways of getting round of not looking too bald have been sticking to quite conservative hairstyles; less boyband, more Mr. Bean.

This is me on Halloween:

oct31zr8.jpg

It looks like there's a gap between the make-up and my hair-line, but infact where the make-up ends is where my hair-line starts to thin.

The back of my head - November 28th:

nov28iz4.jpg

And this one is from December 14th:

dec14kt8.jpg

(Yes, I do look kind of insane on this one)

RaginDemon

Reaction score
I think your hairline maintains well, I am not sure about the crown, it might be lighting and too much gel on your hair.

Mehmoo

Reaction score
So...it's been just over 13 months since I began Proscar and Rogaine. What has changed? Well...

From my POV, I've maintained what I've had, but there's been no significant difference or improvement. My hair looks pretty much the same as the most recent pictures posted here in this thread.

Am I bothered that I've not had the same "miraculous" results as others have experienced? A little. But my attitude compared to what it was when I began has changed greatly. Before I would inspect my hair daily. It would be a recurring thought. But now, I've mellowed about it and generally I've worried less and not been so bothered.

Have I continued my regime with military precision? Not quite. I've been a little lazy with applying the Rogaine on a daily basis, quite often skipping many days meaning it's lasted longer than it should. Same with the Proscar. If that's attributed to why I've not had such miraculous results means I can only blame myself.

Will I continue? Most certainly. I've been able to maintain what I've had, and to some people even improved. It certainly hasn't got worse. But I've only been on it just a year so I don't know what results are to come down the line.

ginger-uk

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat mate. My hair has slowly got worse and I do stick to a military style regeime.