Messing with the Minxidil formula,diluting it for ease....

Cassin

Reaction score
........of use.

Anyone thought of diluting their Minoxidil? Just a bit, maybe 1 to 2 ml of alcohol to make it dry faster? I can't see this messing to much with the effectiveness if you keep it to 1 to 2 ml. Just a thought. Not sure if I want to try it. I was just wondering if anyone has done it or read about it.

Cassin

Reaction score
The shedder said:
Sounds fine, but wouldn't it irritate your scalp more?

Maybe not. Dr Lees stuff dries fast. IMO that is what makes it less irritating, not the PPG itself which keeps the minoxidil on your scalp longer. So it's kind of an indirect relation.

The shedder

Established Member
Reaction score
Yea, I'm also looking into Dr. Lee's minoxidil. Which one do you take? Because i'm on generic and it is irritating the hell out of my scalp.

Cassin

Reaction score
Item # 503

Place an order. You will get an email saying you need to be a patient first and your order has been deleted. Then open the attachment and print it. Fill it out then send it in. 3 or 4 days later you will get an email saying your a patient. After this you can place orders whenever you want. Your first order will have a $20 consultation fee.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
cassin said:
The shedder said:
Sounds fine, but wouldn't it irritate your scalp more?

Maybe not. Dr Lees stuff dries fast. IMO that is what makes it less irritating, not the PPG itself which keeps the minoxidil on your scalp longer. So it's kind of an indirect relation.

Cassin, you have me a little bit confused! You appear to be saying above that you don't think that PPG itself is irritating; however, you also appear to be saying that alcohol itself isn't irritating, either. Just what IS it in topical minoxidil that you think makes it irritating? :lol:

Bryan

Cassin

Reaction score
I never do a good job of explaining my little theory.

Let me ask you this first Bryan because maybe I don't understand minoxidil correctly.

What is it exactly in minoxidil 5% that makes it take so long to absorb. Is it the 5% minoxidil or the PPG?

2% has 60% PPG and yet it dries fast.

5% has 50% PPG and it dries very very slow.

5% Dr Lees has 30% PPG, 5% minoxidil and yet it dries just as fast as 2%

So I guess I think the time the scalp is exposed to 5% is the problem with irritation.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
cassin said:
What is it exactly in minoxidil 5% that makes it take so long to absorb. Is it the 5% minoxidil or the PPG?

You mean, what makes it greasy? It's the PPG.

cassin said:

Nope, 2% Rogaine has 30% PPG, which is why it's less greasy and dries faster.

cassin said:
5% has 50% PPG and it dries very very slow.

Right.

cassin said:

Right! And with good reason! :)

cassin said:
So I guess I think the time the scalp is exposed to 5% is the problem with irritation.

I'm still not clear what you mean! You mean, the time it remains greasy on your scalp?

Personally, I think most sensitivities that people have to topical minoxidil are due to the PPG content, and a minority due to the alcohol content (I suppose that's what YOU mean, too). I also imagine some people could be sensitive to the minoxidil itself.

Bryan

Cassin

Reaction score
Bryan said:
cassin said:

True, but people who use Xandrox %15 say it's greasy as well. Could be the minoxidil?

Bryan said:
cassin said:

Nope, 2% Rogaine has 30% PPG, which is why it's less greasy and dries faster.

I have a bottle of minoxidil 2% that says 60% PPG.

Bryan said:
cassin said:

OK, whats the reason? :) I know you aren't the biggest Dr Lee fan.

Bryan said:
cassin said:

I'm still not clear what you mean! You mean, the time it remains greasy on your scalp?

Personally, I think most sensitivities that people have to topical minoxidil are due to the PPG content, and a minority due to the alcohol content (I suppose that's what YOU mean, too).

Bryan

The time the minoxidil is sitting on your scalp, instead of simply drying.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
cassin said:
Bryan said:
cassin said:

True, but people who use Xandrox %15 say it's greasy as well. Could be the minoxidil?

Don't know for sure, but the simplest explanation is that glycerin is even greasier than PPG. Minoxidil itself isn't greasy.

cassin said:
I have a bottle of minoxidil 2% that says 60% PPG.

You're probably misreading the label. This is from a bottle of 2% Rogaine: "Each mL contains: Minoxidil 2% w/v. Also alcohol, 60% v/v, propylene glycol, and purified water."

It obviously can't have BOTH 60% PPG and 60% alcohol!

Bryan said:
cassin said:

cassin said:
OK, whats the reason? :) I know you aren't the biggest Dr Lee fan.

The fact that they both have the same amount of PPG.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
cassin said:

Oops! Looks like you're right about that: 20% PPG in 2% Rogaine. Sometimes it's hard to keep all the numbers straight! :)

BTW, the exact vehicle used for 2% topical minoxidil in various studies has varied considerably over the years. It hasn't always been the same 20% PPG/60% ethanol that it is now.

cassin said:
Ok, so basically we both think that it is the time sitting on the scalp that is the problem? Do you agree with this?

That seems an odd way to put it! I think that most of the sensitivites to topical minoxidil are due to the PPG. Period. And the more PPG there is, the longer it will sit on your scalp! :wink:

Bryan