Method of using saw palmetto?

fmlfml

Reaction score
Hi, I've been reading about saw palmetto being used topically by forum members. However when i searched it on amazon it turned out to be capsules??
Is it supposed to be taken orally?
thanks for any help

cthulhu

Banned
Reaction score
I'm the one who posted the earlier thread. In the italian study, they found the best results when it was applied topically and taken orally but saw evidence that it works topically when using alcohol as a carrier.

- - - Updated - - -

its my guess that nobody wants to put the time and money into fda trials because it won't be as effective as saw palmetto or minoxidil. But the results from the study seem pretty good nonetheless.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.folixir.com/pdf/Makale_5.pdf

w0rried

Reaction score
So we should break the capsules and mix it in alcohol right ?

can you post the link of Italian study

any other vehicle can be used besides alcohol ?

cthulhu

Banned
Reaction score
the full study is on the thread I posted right before this one. The study used alcohol denat

cuprous

Reaction score
the full study is on the thread I posted right before this one. The study used alcohol denat

I don't think they took saw palmetto orally.

The influence of gelatin-cystine and serenoa repens on hair growth was studied through a long period application (50 weeks) of a new cosmeceutical lotion. On 4.8 volunteers (24 women and 24 men) aged between 21 and 38 years, affected by androgenetic alopecia (type III and IV according to Hamilton). 12 subjects also took a diet supplement (4 pills per day) based on gelatin-cystine. The solution and the diet supplement (placebo and active

fmlfml

Reaction score
What does that mean?
You break the capsules up and mix with water? What is the ideal ratio?
thanks

cthulhu

Banned
Reaction score
you're right Cuprous they took l-cycstine orally, I read that incorrectly. I would guess just mixing enough saw palmetto into an alcohol/water solution until it is fully saturated. I also found this study on pubmed from late 2012 that shows 38% of people who took saw palmetto orally over a 2 year period improved their condition as opposed to 68% of people who took finasteride. Obviously, saw palmetto isn't gonna be nearly as effective as finasteride but may be a good treatment for those people who are just starting to lose their hair. I would guess applying it topically as well as orally would have increased the percentage in the 2012 study I just mentioned. Here is the abstract from pubmed: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23298508

- - - Updated - - -

btw I just started a topical with saw palmetto/alcohol so I will try to post an update in a month's period

w0rried

Reaction score
may be a good treatment for those people who are just starting to lose their hair. I would guess applying it topically as well as orally would have increased the percentage in the 2012 study I just mentioned.

The study you posted in your thread states that the participants were NW3 or 4. They were not newbies

- - - Updated - - -

cthulhu

Banned
Reaction score
I think you're mistaking. The study was performed on men with MILD TO MODERATE androgenic alopecia. The study goes on to state that finasteride was successful on 50% of the study participants with level II and III androgenic alopecia. It doesn't mention which group comprises the 38% of saw palmetto responders however its likely the people with level I alopecia filled this group. As we know, people with minor hairloss are usually more responsive to hairloss therapy.

cuprous

Reaction score
L-Cysteine is a good idea to take period - supports glutiathone production - intra-cellular anti-oxidant that might give you a longer / more active life. Gelatin gives the precursors to keratin AFAIK so that's good too. But how to prepare the saw palmetto extract is a big question mark.

Any thoughts guys? I'm contemplating mixing capsule content in a 1:1 ratio with alcohol then straining, drying out, and mixing whatever is in the bottom of the pan with aloe. No clue as to whether this might work.