Mickeyss191's Story - ( 19 / where to go from here? Pic!!)

mickeyss191

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here so be kind.
So um, yeah, I'm losing my hair. Not a nice thing for anyone let alone someone who's 18 years old. I've been on Nizoral 2% for about a year - hasn't made much difference, I've lost a tiny little bit more hair since then. It might have slowed down the hair loss but I'm not convinced. Anyway, after months of pondering and being self conscious I finally worked up the courage to see my doctor about it, but he doesn't believe in finasteride and won't prescribe it to me(he's significantly bald, maybe that's why?). What I'm wondering is, is it worth getting minodoxtil instead? Are the potential side-effects worth it? The cost? I was kinda counting on him giving me finasteride since the nizoral hasn't done much. So where do I go from here? I'm going away to university in three months to a new city, would it be worth seeing another doctor?

This is my "good" side - bald spot is slightly bigger on the other side. Hair has thinned very slightly at the back as well.

pic1.jpg

Jack82

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: 18, receded, where to from here? Pic included

get on minoxidil, usually there are not any serious sides on it, it is sold over the counter on most countries. I think it will help you.

ThinFineCurly

Reaction score
finfighter said:
mickeyss191 said:
Hey guys, I'm new here so be kind.
So um, yeah, I'm losing my hair. Not a nice thing for anyone let alone someone who's 18 years old. I've been on Nizoral 2% for about a year - hasn't made much difference, I've lost a tiny little bit more hair since then. It might have slowed down the hair loss but I'm not convinced. Anyway, after months of pondering and being self conscious I finally worked up the courage to see my doctor about it, but he doesn't believe in finasteride and won't prescribe it to me(he's significantly bald, maybe that's why?). What I'm wondering is, is it worth getting minodoxtil instead? Are the potential side-effects worth it? The cost? I was kinda counting on him giving me finasteride since the nizoral hasn't done much. So where do I go from here? I'm going away to university in three months to a new city, would it be worth seeing another doctor?

This is my "good" side - bald spot is slightly bigger on the other side. Hair has thinned very slightly at the back as well.

pic1.jpg

Make an appointment with a dermatoligist they will right you a prescription to propecia. good luck!

I agree, try minoxidil first before finasteride.

mickeyss191

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses guys. Next time I'm in the pharmacy I'll get some minoxidil. But just one more thing, what's the difference between rogaine and the generic brands?

ThinFineCurly

Reaction score
mickeyss191 said:
Thanks for your responses guys. Next time I'm in the pharmacy I'll get some minoxidil. But just one more thing, what's the difference between rogaine and the generic brands?

Well nothing much with the liquid form, but the liquid tends to irritate the scalp more than the foam. It's also greasy and drips all over and is hard to target areas, without it dripping down your head. The liquid is better for long hair though, since it drips down to your scalp. The foam is more expensive, but it doesn't irritate your scalp as much, doesn't mess up your hair as much(is like mousse) and the foam supposedly delivers minoxidil to your scalp more efficiently, if hair is not in the way. The foam melts easily though, so cool the can in cold water and your fingers too, to prevent the foam from melting too fast. Use anti dandruff shampoo daily, when you aren't using Nizoral, to help with the itch. I have long hair with a receded NW2 hairline and a thinning vertex(diffuse and minor atm). I use Rogaine Foam in the morning and I use generic Kirkland liquid minoxidil before going to bed. The liquid lets me spread it around on my vertex easier. I use double the dose, 2ml, at night with the liquid to spread it around my scalp. 1 ml on hairline and 1 ml on vertex. You can get both the foam and Kirkland generic cheap on Amazon.com. The generic Kirkland is dirt cheap on Amazon.com.

Give minoxidil at least 6 months and take high res photos of your scalp before and after and in between often. If you don't notice an improvement after at least 6 months, then adding finasteride (stay on the minoxidil and nizoral) would probably be a good idea. Sometimes you can only see improvement from comparison of photos, before and after. Also, you will likely shed more for the first 2 months of treatment. Don't worry, it's a good sign that it's working and stick with it.

mickeyss191

Reaction score
Got the brand name foam, yet to use it though.
I know I keep asking so many questions, but one more:
When I started using nizoral I had quite a significant shedding period, it lasted about six weeks, and I've had little mini-sheds every few months that only last a week or so since then. Will I still get the dreaded shedding that comes with the minoxidil even though I've already been through it with nizoral? Also, since my hairline is significantly worse on one side, would it be worth applying the minoxidil just to that side for a few months to see if it works for me? Sorry if it seems tedious but all this talk of lotions and potions is perplexing.

ThinFineCurly

Reaction score
mickeyss191 said:
Got the brand name foam, yet to use it though.
I know I keep asking so many questions, but one more:
When I started using nizoral I had quite a significant shedding period, it lasted about six weeks, and I've had little mini-sheds every few months that only last a week or so since then. Will I still get the dreaded shedding that comes with the minoxidil even though I've already been through it with nizoral? Also, since my hairline is significantly worse on one side, would it be worth applying the minoxidil just to that side for a few months to see if it works for me? Sorry if it seems tedious but all this talk of lotions and potions is perplexing.

You will likely see more shedding, but it'll stop and will likely grow back with more hair. I'd apply the foam to all of your thinning areas. You might want to get the cheap Kirkland or other generic minoxidil liquid and use it at night to target more areas. It'll help save money. You want to make sure you cover all of the thinning areas. Often a half a cap full of foam(recommended dose) isn't enough and the liquid spreads around more easily, though the foam doesn't irritate your scalp as much and it delivers minoxidil to the follicles more effectively. A lot of people shed more with the foam and get scared and quit early. Shedding is a good sign that the drug is working and it will grow back stronger and thicker. You just got to get through the shedding phase before you will see improvement. It will likely take 4-6 months to see significant improvement.

It's likely the Nizoral didn't cause shedding and it was just due to male pattern baldness, without proper treatment. I believe Nizoral helps keep your scalp healthy, but only minoxidil and finasteride are FDA approved to stop hair loss and regrow some too.