Microneedling Donor Scar Areas? Anyone Tried It?

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don’t keep my hair short in back due to the punch graft scars and the strip scars but I heard microneedling helps with scarring? My hair isn’t long either maybe a quarter inch? If I used a dermoller there would it make holes or would the hair block it?

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I also have a FUT scar from 4 months ago which I've largely ignored. However, since I regularly do micrineedling over the thinning crown (no work was done with the transplant), I did consider moving lower down to the scar to reduce its appearance. Needling is indeed known for scar reduction, and yes it'll make micro 'holes' which are supposed to recover quickly, and shedding dead skin and generate collagen in the healing process, hence eventually making your skin look more even.
At the moment i still feel the occasional itch around the scar, so im leaving it for a bit longer before consider needling over it. I'm really not bothered as I wear my hair long anyway

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I also have a FUT scar from 4 months ago which I've largely ignored. However, since I regularly do micrineedling over the thinning crown (no work was done with the transplant), I did consider moving lower down to the scar to reduce its appearance. Needling is indeed known for scar reduction, and yes it'll make micro 'holes' which are supposed to recover quickly, and shedding dead skin and generate collagen in the healing process, hence eventually making your skin look more even.
At the moment i still feel the occasional itch around the scar, so im leaving it for a bit longer before consider needling over it. I'm really not bothered as I wear my hair long anyway
I’m concerned I’ll be in chemo one day and lose my hair and all my scars exposed. I have strip scars plus old type plug scars . I’d almost rather die than see the freakshow my head would be . However I dunno if microneedling will even reach my scalp since my hair isn’t short

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Just so you know where I’m coming from. I had my first hair transplant in 1996 when was 21. I’ve cut my hair ever since rather thank risk the hair cutter saying something . They’ll easily see the scars and know what’s up

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think the best way is to be open about it, and not take it as some debilitating sign of trauma. I'm going to my hair dresser first time since the procedure and I'm looking forward to showing it off lol. You'll find that most of them will be curious more than anything else.
Also my understanding with chemo shedding is it also grows back...sometimes with a different texture.
To reach the scar, use derma-stamp rather than rolls. You gotta part your hair where the scar is and expose as much as possible before any kind of needling. You can be more precise with stamps as well. Alternatively, invest on a Derminator or Dermapen which will give you better needling depth without causing intolerable pain.

Last edited: