Mikau's story

mikau

Reaction score
Hello, I'm Mike!

Hair loss first began for me when I was 23. It was a warm summer night and I had just gotten back from a jog. I leaned against my dad's car to catch my breath, and saw my reflection in the car window. I was struck by how "big" my forehead looked. There was something distinctly different about it.. and suddenly I realized, I'm losing hair!

I realized, however, that this was neither unusual nor unexpeccted. Many guys start gradually losing their hair in their early 20's, and while my father isn't bald, his father was, and practically every other guy in my family was at least partly bald by their 40's.

But this was particularly upsetting news to me. While most people tell me I'm a good looking guy, I had no girlfriend and no social connections. I had lived a pretty isolated life. My parents sheltered and homeschooled me to keep me from being "corrupted" by teachers and other kids. Life was very difficult and lonely through my childhood and teenage years.

But I was working hard to be independent. I had gotten into a good school on scholarship, almost entirely through my own efforts. Soon I would have my life together, and I would be able to make friends, meet a nice girl, and experience and enjoy my youth which up to then, I had been denied.

But now it seemed that my attractiveness was being gradually taken a way right at the point when I needed it most..

At the time I was 23, and I had just noticed the hair around my temples was receeding. Now I am 25 and it has gone considerably farther. I am still able to somewhat conceal it, since the hair I do have is very thick and full, and I can comb it forward over my temples a little. But it is getting more and more difficult to hide. And I know, based on my family history, that its only going to get worse.

Early this spring, my junior year in college, my hair loss, a bad breakup, lack of friends and connections, caused me to fall into deep depression, and I attempted suicide. I received treatment for depression and I am still receiving therapy. I am doing a lot better, and am much more upbeat and positive these days, but my hair situation is a major source of anxiety and I just hope there's something I can do about it.

I would say that I am looking for treatment mostly for minor hair loss, around the temples, as well as preventive measures to keep myself from getting worse.

I did a little research and it seems that transplant therapy is the only effective treatment, but its also very expensive. I know there's a hair restoration clinic in my area, but I thought it would be wise to learn more about treatment options and services first.

I am looking forward to getting to know some of you, reading your stories, and hearing your advice.

mikau

Reaction score
My thanks to both of you for reading my story, and your response.

What I read about rogaine, and other non-surgical treatments, was that they were not shown to be effective in restoring hair receeding around the temples, which is what I have. Is this not correct?

Why are you suggesting forgetting surgical treatment? I know its expensive but I thought since its not too severe, maybe it would be affordable.

I will try and post some pics sometime soon!

mikau

Reaction score
Here are some pics... one thing that greatly annoys me is how uneven the thinning is.. its mostly concentrated on the right side of my head as shown below:

[attachment=1:3tqydw83]lame.jpg[/attachment:3tqydw83]

here is the other side. My hair has receeded up my temples quite a bit but its much less severe than the other side

[attachment=0:3tqydw83]less_lame.jpg[/attachment:3tqydw83]

As I mentioned, the hair I do have is very thick and dense. So I can somewhat conceal it right now if I comb it right, but not sure how much longer that will work

comments and suggestions are welcome

Attachments

• lame.jpg
    lame.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 171
  • less_lame.jpg
    less_lame.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,542

mikau

Reaction score
So, my first order of business has been to educate myself about Rogaine a little. I've been reading the FAQ on Rogaine's website as well as some consumer reviews.

First, allthough I am encouraged by your remark, CaptainCombover, I see almost everywhere that Rogaine does not restore receeding hair lines or hair at the temples. How likely is it that I will see any benefits from it?

Second, I was trying to determine the difference between Rogaine Foam and Rogaine Solution and which one would be best for me. I read this very negative review for the foam, which I found somewhat discouraging. Do you really have to leave it in your hair for 4 hours? How is that even feasible? And does it really cause that much itchiness and irritation? Do they have any alternative products that contain monoxil?

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
Imagine having a similar hairline at the age of 16. I didn't have to. Luckily, my hairline hasn't changed much in the past two years but you seem to be at a stage where you could conceal the recession without a problem, especially seeing as your hair is straight (mine curls upwards.) It seems as though your hair would be perfect for transplantation and with your thickness and density, donor hair supply would hardly be an issue so I wouldn't worry too much personally about that if you can afford the surgery. If I were you I'd give meds a go to see if they'll let you keep what you have left if your happy with the stage you're at now. If not, then transplantion really does have very few negatives once you get past the cost. Forgive me for waffling.

mikau

Reaction score
thanks for the response!

Well, I mean I'm considering transplantation. Right now I don't need a huge area restored (as you can see) but I don't know if that would dramatically reduce the cost. Plus! If I did, I'd have to consider how to keep the newly restored hair.

What sort of "meds" are you talking about? Keep in mind, I'm new to all this.

fodandahalf

Established Member
Reaction score
mikau said:
thanks for the response!

Well, I mean I'm considering transplantation. Right now I don't need a huge area restored (as you can see) but I don't know if that would dramatically reduce the cost. Plus! If I did, I'd have to consider how to keep the newly restored hair.

What sort of "meds" are you talking about? Keep in mind, I'm new to all this.

You don't have to worry about keeping newly transplanted hair, it's taken from the back of your head where the hair is genetically programmed to never fall out. Once it grows in after transplantation, it'll stay with you forever regardless of how you treat it. However, there is every chance that you may suffer from further hairloss so staying on finasteride (propecia) will prolong the time you have with the rest of your non-transplanted hair so you won't require further surgery for a while.

The only meds I'd consider are propecia (or generic finasteride if you can get a prescription- it's much cheaper) which can be very effective at completely halting/ slowing male pattern baldness and topical minoxidil (rogaine/ regaine) which is more effective in hair restoration as opposed to halting further loss. These are more effective for thinning hair than for a receding hairline though.

mikau

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Sorry about referencing that website, I noticed the pinned thread about how citing online-oppinions is a no-no.

But could I get some user oppinions here on how big a hassle it is to use rogaine and whether I should use the foam or the solution? Do you just use it like shampoo and rinse it out? How long do you have to leave it on?

Johnx

Established Member
Reaction score
Mikau, your temple receding pattern is pretty much identical to mine - middle part narrowing, temples receding back (of course mine is more advanced...).
DEFINITELY give Rogaine a try. You can take a look at my thread (link in my signature), it is possible to get some regrowth at temples using Minoxidil. I'm not saying I've had great success, but I'm using minoxidil for almost 6 months now, and it seems temples are slowly continuing to regrow. (I'm using Rogaine Foam at mornings and Kirkland liquid before bed).

You can also check this guy's story, he had amazing success:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=32443&hilit=dietcola
(page 12 - astonishing temple regrowth)

Or this guy:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?t=35896

Or this:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=32656&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Give it a try, maybe you'll respond very well to treatments.
Good luck!

mikau

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of reading and I think I'm going to give Rogaine a try.

But now I just need a DHT inhibitor. I found this one product called "maxa-hair" but I found somewhere else on this site that this product is a scam...

So I'm looking for a legit DHT inhibitor but preferably one I don't need a prescription for... what would you guys reccomend?

mikau

Reaction score
Update: finally ordered the products for my regimen:

Regrowth agent: Rogaine Foam
DHT inhibitor: S5 Cream

I debated quite a while and read a lot of conflicting oppinions here about finastride and I'm worried about potential side effects. I figured that my hair loss isn't too severe, so maybe I can get away with just the S5 cream. And I'll sleep better at night because I won't have to worry about side-effects, short or long term..

Hopefully, if I have success with it, this will show that propecia isnt the only way to go. I'm really reluctant to not choose propecia because of how succesful it seems to be but I really am worried about all the side effects.