Mikes Sad Story! (22 years old is to young!!!)

michaelrp7

Reaction score
I started losing hair when I was about 18 years old. Maybe even a little younger. Anyway, I am a active musician for a rock band and I love headbanging. There is just somthing about standing on a stage flopping your hair around like an idiot that makes me feel great! :punk: I really do not want to lose that so early! :badmood:

I think I might have a year or two at the most before my headbanging days are over... I am clueless on what my options are and would love some advice from you guys. I have tried a few hair loss forums but this one looks like the best I have seen. I had a relative get a hair transplant with Bosley and his hair looks pretty good now. I do not know if that is for me and wondered what you guys think.

Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures right now but I will post them when I get them. If you guys could just give me a clue on what options are out there. :dunno:

Thank you very much! :woot:
Michael :punk:

P.S. This forum has the best smileys as well! :bravo:

fallenstarinc

Reaction score
hey man. post some pics so people here can give you a better idea what to do.

there are only THREE things that will work for you, all others will be a waste of time. this is generally agreed upon by anyone who is in the know with hair loss. Hair loss is a time battle. if you decide to try taking a multi vitamin for 6 months, eat healthy, or quit smoking, while all good for you, will not save you any hair and you will be 6 months less of hair than where you started. 90% or male hair loss is caused by DHT. its a hormone linked with testosterone. hair follicles on your head are sensitive to DHT.

do some research on getting on meds. they can be done fairly cheaply, and there are ways to work around prescriptions that some require from a Dr.

finasteride: taken orally, works by lowering the amount of DHT in your body. this is by far the most effective tool in fighting hair loss we have as of yet. it attacks the the problem at the source. Pros: easy to take, can be bought for super cheap if you know how. decently effective. Cons: can give you sexual side effects, although rare.

minoxidil: this is rogaine. it can regrow hair, but does not stop the hairloss process. it stimulates the hair follicle and squeezes thickness and length out og the hair. it essentially is like giving a dying plant that has no sunlight miracle grow. giving the plant sun in the first place would probably be a better option. Pros: Can make your hair thicker, and grow hair where it had been lost. Cons: you have to apply it twice a day for as long as you want to keep the hair. it is also greasy and can irritate your scalp or face.

Nizoral: the chemical in nizoral (ket something) helps put the scalp in better condition. male pattern baldness can cause inflammation. if your scalp is in good condition, it is prime territory to slow down, or even reverse hair loss in conjunction with the above two. Pros: easy, shampoo, only use it 3 times a week. cons: some people say it is actually harsh on the scalp and gives them irritation, one bottle will run you 15 bucks or so...at least here in the city.

there ya go. i hope this saves you time. some people use all 3 of these, or any combination. you need to be on them for at least 6 months to make a judgement as to if they are working or not, preferably a year. the sad thing is, we still do not have a permanent cure for hairloss. if you do regrow or maintain hair on these meds and stop taking them, your coach will turn back into a pumpkin at midnight.

good luck man, hair loss sucks, but it could be a lot worse. dont be so sad

michaelrp7

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the quick response. I know that it will not be so bad losing my hair and is not the end of the world. I guess it just makes me feel like I'm getting older... :sobbing:

Thank you for all that information, it was really helpful and I appreciate it... :mrgreen:

Michael :mrgreen: