Mikey88's Story - (32 / 6 months on Propecia with PICS!)

Mikey88

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i've posted before in the growth stimulants forum but not really officially my bio/story.

-I tried Rogaine (borrowed a few bottles from a friend) in April 2008 when my hair was first getting noticeably thin for about 4 months. It only got worse, my scalp got super red and i had some heart palpitations with Rogaine 5% so i stopped in July 2008.

- I let it go for a little while, not taking anything, but around november 2008 i felt i needed to see a professional to figure out what I should do before i start taking anything, so i made an appointment.

-In March 2009, i saw a dermatologist. Basically, he didn't say much. All he did was tell me that my scalp looked a bit red and gave me a prescription for Propecia and Topical Corticosteroid (Hydrocortizone 2.5%) for the redness.
He also gave me a prescription for Rogaine 2% just in case Propecia gave me adverse effects and that i should then stop Propecia and take Rogaine. He told me specifically NOT to take both.

-I've been taking Propecia now for 6 months, i just ran out of my 6th pack, and my hair has been getting progressively worse. Thinning up the middle and mostly everywhere else on top, and the hairline is receding on the sides. It's ridiculous. I figured i would at least keep the hair i had 6 months ago, but no its actually WAY worse. Also, I took the Hydrocortizone on and off, but i cant stand the stuff. It makes my hair really oily, i feel stinging and my scalp seems to look and feel red and irritated after i apply the stuff.

Check out the pics, let me know what you guys think. (sorry i didnt take more extensive photos when i started in March 09), but trust me the difference between now and then is huge.

-I just ran out of Propecia. Should i go get some more and stick with it? Should I try Rogaine 2%, thinking maybe the 5% was just too strong for me?

-Do you guys think my scalp looks red in my most recent photos, and if so do you guys recommend anything for it?

-Should i try some other topicals? Spectral?
I'm at a crossroads here. PLEASE HELP ME OUT! I've read many other posts and I'm confident you guys can come up with something. Thanks in advance.

[Edit oh yah sorry i forgot to mention also i HAVE been using Nizoral once or twice a week for 3 years now]

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    994.8 KB · Views: 237
  • SEP0609noFLASH.png
    SEP0609noFLASH.png
    955.7 KB · Views: 287
  • SEP0609FLASH.png
    SEP0609FLASH.png
    885.1 KB · Views: 265
  • SEP0509noFLASH1.png
    SEP0509noFLASH1.png
    765.2 KB · Views: 277
  • MAR0609.png
    MAR0609.png
    391.6 KB · Views: 270
  • MAR06091.png
    MAR06091.png
    564.6 KB · Views: 248

SE-freak

Reaction score
Re: Mikey88's story 32 yrs old - 6 months on Propecia

Mikey:

Hello and thank you for an extended and detailed presentation of your hairloss battle.

I have 2 remarks:

I cannot understand why your doctor

1. would not consider combining the two treatments and would opt for Minoxidil only over minoxidil+Finasteride combo

2. would prescribe corticosteroids for your scalp's irritation. Corticosteroids result in skin thinning over time and a thinned skin is not a good environment for terminal follicles of large diameter. They need depth. I would stop using the steroid cream immediately.

Try some aloe cream when irritation strikes again and try combining the big 3. You have tons of hair to fight for and I believe that would be your best option right now. Keep in mind that a shed 6 months in while on treatments is nothing special, starting treatments can lead to synchronization of large groups of follicles that could alter your hair image for a while when cycling off.

Welcome to the forums. :)

Mikey88

Reaction score

SE-freak said:
Mikey:

Hello and thank you for an extended and detailed presentation of your hairloss battle.

I have 2 remarks:

I cannot understand why your doctor

1. would not consider combining the two treatments and would opt for Minoxidil only over minoxidil+Finasteride combo

2. would prescribe corticosteroids for your scalp's irritation. Corticosteroids result in skin thinning over time and a thinned skin is not a good environment for terminal follicles of large diameter. They need depth. I would stop using the steroid cream immediately.

Try some aloe cream when irritation strikes again and try combining the big 3. You have tons of hair to fight for and I believe that would be your best option right now. Keep in mind that a shed 6 months in while on treatments is nothing special, starting treatments can lead to synchronization of large groups of follicles that could alter your hair image for a while when cycling off.

Welcome to the forums. :)

Thanks for the quick reply SE-Freak! You're awesome! And i saw your story. Very nice, man. Congratulations.

1. Ya i'm not sure why my Doctor told me that. Honestly, if this gets worse and i don't feel like i'm going anywhere i will go to another Derm to get a 2nd opinion or i might just dive in an try the Kirkland 5% brand instead of the foam. The foam was really hard on me, made my hair so greasy it was horrible not to mention the heart problems.

I have a quick question about minoxidil. Basically, my day starts at 8:30. I shower and then go to work, then i go to the gym during my lunch break at noon. I obviously sweat like a pig during my workout.
If i were to start minoxidil again and i apply it around 9am, Is 3 hours or so enough time for a minoxidil application to sink in and do its thing. Should i skip the morning application and just do it at night?

2. They're drops BTW, not cream. But anyway, i will stop using the Corticosteroid immediately. You mentioned i should use Aloe Cream? Any specific brand that you know about that i could specifically look for in a pharmacy?

Thanks for you help.

SE-freak

Reaction score

I have a quick question about minoxidil. Basically, my day starts at 8:30. I shower and then go to work, then i go to the gym during my lunch break at noon. I obviously sweat like a pig during my workout.
If i were to start minoxidil again and i apply it around 9am, Is 3 hours or so enough time for a minoxidil application to sink in and do its thing. Should i skip the morning application and just do it at night?

I think that 2x apps can make a significant difference, especially when starting minoxidil treatment. I guess 3 hours is more than enough for the topical to be absorbed, somewhere around these forums I heard claims that most of minoxidil is absorbed during the first hour. There are also other formulations of the topical that dry out quicker than brand name Rogain and lacking PPG(which could possibly irritate your skin), I would go for the easy to get stuff first though.

Aloe cream was just an idea, it has remarkable healing and skin soothing properties but I cannot suggest a specific brand. It is not part of my regimen either.

Mikey88

Reaction score

SE-freak said:

I think that 2x apps can make a significant difference, especially when starting minoxidil treatment. I guess 3 hours is more than enough for the topical to be absorbed, somewhere around these forums I heard claims that most of minoxidil is absorbed during the first hour. There are also other formulations of the topical that dry out quicker than brand name Rogain and possibly lacking PPG(which could possibly irritate your skin), I would go for the easy to get stuff first though.

Aloe cream was just an idea, it has remarkable healing and skin soothing properties but I cannot suggest a specific brand. It is not part of my regimen either.

Great thanks again SE Freak! I bought an Aloe Spray. What IS part of your regimen, then? Do you have any shampoos to suggest? I need something else to coincide with Nizoral 2% and the Nioxin Conditioner.

SE-freak

Reaction score

I use Pregaine Clear Gel, a simple shampoo that does its work and containts no extra fancy ingredients that could possibly irritate your skin. There are other excellent shampoos that people use around here and would definately work too, in rotation with Nizoral.

Mikey88

Reaction score

SE-freak said:
I use Pregaine Clear Gel, a simple shampoo that does its work and containts no extra fancy ingredients that could possibly irritate your skin. There are other excellent shampoos that people use around here and would definately work too, in rotation with Nizoral.

I've been noticing lately when combing my hair after a workout a lot of hairs seem to be left on the brush. Have you ever heard of anything like that before? Increased shedding while working out? Also, my scalp still feels "tight". I've been using the aloe vera spray and noticed upon application it feels great but then my skin seems to get quite tight, not sure where to go from here.

SE-freak

Reaction score

Mikey88 said:
I've been noticing lately when combing my hair after a workout a lot of hairs seem to be left on the brush. Have you ever heard of anything like that before? Increased shedding while working out?

The hairs you shed today entered telogen phase 2 months ago. So, no point in attributing shedding to your workouts.

Mikey88

Reaction score

SE-freak said:
Mikey88 said:
I've been noticing lately when combing my hair after a workout a lot of hairs seem to be left on the brush. Have you ever heard of anything like that before? Increased shedding while working out?

The hairs you shed today entered telogen phase 2 months ago. So, no point in attributing shedding to your workouts.

How long does this telogen phase last? And what exactly is that?

Also, I tried to use Minoxidil again. I got the same bad side effects right off the bat. Extreme heart rate increases, i felt a bit dizzy, light-headed. I guess it just wasnt meant to be for me :dunno:

Is there anything else that i could use as an alternative to minoxidil to stimulate growth?

SE-freak

Reaction score
Re: Mikey88's Story - (32 / 6 months on Propecia)PICS!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_follicle

Hair growth cycle times:

* Scalp: The time these phases last varies from person to person. Different hair colour and follicle shape affects the timings of these phases.
- anagen phase, 2–3 years (occasionally much longer)
- catagen phase, 2–3 weeks
- telogen phase, around 3 months

As for your minoxidil sides: Make sure you do not apply it on a damp scalp, you do not scratch your skin while applying it, you do not have the bad habbit of biting your fingernails, you apply the recommended dose.

Heart pulpitations is clearly a sign of systemic absorption, so apply less if none of the above is happening.

Many people on these forums have reported that possible dizziness stops after a week or two on the drug.

Mikey88

Reaction score

Allright i guess i will try that then.. A little less on a dry scalp this time.

I will try to get some pics up here now that im hitting the 8 month mark on propecia alone.
Honestly, i see no difference whatsoever. If anything, i think there is even less than before.
I guess its time to hit the Rogaine and combine the 2.

Mikey88

Reaction score

SE-freak said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_follicle

Hair growth cycle times:

* Scalp: The time these phases last varies from person to person. Different hair colour and follicle shape affects the timings of these phases.
- anagen phase, 2–3 years (occasionally much longer)
- catagen phase, 2–3 weeks
- telogen phase, around 3 months

As for your minoxidil sides: Make sure you do not apply it on a damp scalp, you do not scratch your skin while applying it, you do not have the bad habbit of biting your fingernails, you apply the recommended dose.

Heart pulpitations is clearly a sign of systemic absorption, so apply less if none of the above is happening.

Many people on these forums have reported that possible dizziness stops after a week or two on the drug.

Thanks for the info.
Allright i guess i will try that then.. A little less on a dry scalp this time. It wasnt just heart palpitaions, i also had major redness on the scalp.

I will try to get some pics up here now that im hitting the 8 month mark on propecia alone.Honestly, i see no difference whatsoever. If anything, i think there is even less than before.

I guess its time to hit the Rogaine again and combine the 2.

Mikey88

Reaction score

Well, fast forward to August of 2010. Things have gotten worse but i have to admit i stopped using Propecia back in January because of the $70 price tag and a few other factors.

I stopped using it until recently when i noticed my hairline got worse and thinning continued. Thats when i started looking for cheaper alternatives. On July 19 , i started take finasteride pills i got from a online pharmacy, so i wanted to post some new pics and hopefully start anew here..

heres some pics of my hair as of today.. 3 weeks after having restarted on finasteride.[attachment=3:3cp6kzn3]AUG09101.jpg[/attachment:3cp6kzn3][attachment=2:3cp6kzn3]AUG09102.jpg[/attachment:3cp6kzn3][attachment=1:3cp6kzn3]AUG09103.jpg[/attachment:3cp6kzn3][attachment=0:3cp6kzn3]FIN5MG.jpg[/attachment:3cp6kzn3]

Attachments

• AUG09101.jpg
    AUG09101.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 197
  • AUG09102.jpg
    AUG09102.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 205
  • AUG09103.jpg
    AUG09103.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 204
  • FIN5MG.jpg
    FIN5MG.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 214

Mikey88

Reaction score
Re: Mikey88's Story - (32 / 6 months on Propecia) ADDED XANDROX

UPDATE:

I added Xandrox 15+ (no propylene glycol) to the mix (it's been 1 week now) and i noticed instant shedding and less and less hair right down the middle...i guess i have to stick with it but i hope the shedding stops soon because its getting SCARY.

On a side note - Rogaine Foam and Kirkland minoxidil 5% gave me major sides - heart pumping faster, feeling dizzy, scalp turned red etc... but Xandrox gives me 0 sides.....maybe it was the propylene glycol in the foam and kirkland brand which is not in the Xandrox?

Boomer01

Established Member
Reaction score

How has your hair been doing on the Xandrox 15+?

Mikey88

Reaction score

Boomer01 said:
How has your hair been doing on the Xandrox 15+?

hard to say because i let my hair grow a bit longer. I will get a haircut in the next few days and take some new pics.