Minaturization Process

marksb11

Established Member
Reaction score
When hair falls out due to male pattern baldness, do you typically see new, finer hairs growing in place of those that fall out?

When my hair falls out, nothing replaces it. It just falls out, no new growth of small, finer, thinner hairs, and it becomes a bare spot on my head with scalp dermatitis covering the area. This is another reason why I think my hair loss is caused to dermatitis- i've read that you should see the smaller hairs grow in if it's male pattern baldness.

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I had the same question...i lost hair by my temples but I never saw it "thin" so to speak...it just fell out and never returned.. this happened exactly 3 months after a car accident, which is why looking back now (2 years later) I suspect it was Telogen Effluvium, but then again the hair lost then has yet to reappear for me.

Axon

Reaction score
Yes, male pattern baldness is a process of minturization.

That being said, you should know that if your hair was actually falling out and not growing back, you'd be bald within a couple months or so. You only have 100,000 hairs or so on the scalp, and you lose like 100 a day.

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
...Also ive heard that blondes have an extra 40,000 follicles on their head.

G

Axon said:
Yes, male pattern baldness is a process of minturization.

That being said, you should know that if your hair was actually falling out and not growing back, you'd be bald within a couple months or so. You only have 100,000 hairs or so on the scalp, and you lose like 100 a day.

100 hairs a day lost from a head of 100,000 hairs would obviously take 1000 days to dissapear, or around three years.

marksb11

Established Member
Reaction score
Tynan....100,000 all over your head, not just the top. So figure more like a year and a half.

Axon- I have only been losing hair for a couple of months, and I have not seen any small, fine hairs replacing the hairs that fall out. And trust me, I check constantly.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
marksb11 said:
Axon- I have only been losing hair for a couple of months
Didn't you say you've been on Propecia for 8 months? You must have been losing hair for significantly longer than that, as well.

HairLossTalk.com