MindReader's Story - (of a Slow Process)

MindReader

Reaction score
I first noticed my hairline was receeding when I was 17 years old and a friend pointed it out to me while I was at work. I never really paid close attention to my looks so I hadn't noticed prior, but now that someone else noticed, it had my attention.

Was I going to go bald? After all, my father is bald. I was really nervous because I had been sporting long hair for many years at that point and couldn't imagine myself with a shorter do, let alone no hair! The hairline receeded a little more when I hit my early twenties...enough to make me consider cutting my hair short and actually following through with it. Surprisingly, I liked the new look and others preferred it.

My hairline seemed to stop receeding for a while. I should mention that it was at my temples, and was only barely bad enough to be noticed. For the most part, you would think I just had a very mature hairline. Once I hit 25 (two years ago), I noticed it getting a bit thinner on top. "Oh sh*t" I thought. It has since receeded further north and is now in crown territory. It has been this way the last two years.

Right now, I still have a good amount of hair, and when it's styled it is not too noticeable that I'm losing my hair...but if I were to buzz it off then it would be obvious because it is thinner on top. I just cut it shorter on the sides now and grow the top out a couple of inches to blend it and it works like a charm...but I know this is only temporary.

The good news is that this has been a very slow process of ten years and I still have a decent amount of hair. Some people have suggested that I might be a good candidate for some kind of treatment like minoxidil or finasteride, but I haven't started taking anything yet. I did look into minoxidil but it seems it doesn't treat the temples or the crown, just the rear of the crown spot. Is that true?

I'm hoping to learn about some treatment strategies while here and hopefully give my hair a little more life, or at least a longer one. I have shaved it all off in the past just to see what it would look like and it isn't bad, but I definitely look better with hair. If I can just thicken the top and reduce my hairline a bit, I think I'd be in good shape.