minor hair loss, starting rogaine advice?

bmoreno515

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, if my hair loss is that im thinning on my crown and cowlick then would starting Rogaine foam be a good start? I don't want to make my hair worse but I hear that's what Rogaine will do to you, if I apply it to one area on the back of my head for starters then would my hair shed all over or only on the spot that it is applied?

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Best start would be finasteride/Propecia. Not only does it fight the root cause (DHT), but it is a lot less hassle then applying minoxidil once/twice a day.

bluejay

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree with the person above, my hair loss was pretty minor at 20 so I too thought I could get away with only applying 5% minoxidil and avoid being hormonally castrated by finasteride. Now at 22 I'm seriously regretting that and am now on both although I could have saved so much more ground had I just bitten the bullet earlier. No one posts dramatic results with minoxidil alone, and those that do always describe how they're fighting an uphill battle because hairs will still thin due to DHT no matter what. If anything, when hair loss is minor I would suggest starting with finasteride alone as it is much more convenient to use and way more powerful than anything else on the market. If you're not happy after six months with your regrowth THEN add rogaine.