minoxidil 5% - 1 month - looking for common experiences

HomerJ

Reaction score
Hi all -

I have been using minoxidil 5% on my temples. Been a month. While at the moment I don't expect results I am seeing what appears to be a much quicker rate of thinning in the areas where I am applying minoxidil.

Is this something that everyone using minoxidil has experienced in the first month and then it begins to grow back? Or should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance.

djApolloCreed

Reaction score
I noticed the same thing and quit minoxidil because of it. Are you taking finasteride or spironolactone? I would think either would be a better starting point than minoxidil. minoxidil is kind of messy and doesn't attack the cause of balding at the root. I found it made the front areas of my hair too greasy to style and thinner- I didn't want to ride it out it was looking to grim.

The shedder

Established Member
Reaction score
I also shed the first month on minoxidil, at the temples where i apply. Its is expected, its just pushing the thinner hairs out to sprout new thicker scalp concealing hairs. At around the 5-6 month mark, the new hairs will begin to come up and maybe some new hairs, gotta stick with it man. If you want to stop using it, go with finasteride. Gotta stick with something for a while (more than a month lol). GOOD LUCK!

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There is no way that you were going to be able to see results in the amount of time you devoted to minoxidil. It is normal for a shed to occur and patience is the key to success. Stick with a regime for more then 6 months and then slowly add weapons to your arsenal, if needed.

Tony Montana

HomerJ

Reaction score
Thanks guys - so what I see has more rapid thinning is true but normal with minoxidil.

As I said in initial post, I know that I wouldn't see results this soon.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Not that this is THE explanation, but something to consider. I've observed that minoxidil creates the illusion that your hair is thinner right after you put it on. I think it is because the ingredients make the hair smooth/slick. Perhaps the alcohol does this. But what I am saying is that it might do the same thing that those shampoos that read "for silky hair" do, which is make hair smoother, which takes away the "thick" look. But at the end of the day, after I've been arranging my hair with my hands a bit, it looks thicker, probably because it is a little dirty or something.

Ever notice when your hair is oily after you wake up? minoxidil gives the same effect I think.

Hope this makes sense. I can't describe it any better. Again, not saying this is what you are experiencing, just something to keep in mind. Try going just one day without minoxidil, and judge for yourself. It shouldn't hurt anything.

But, 1 month is not enough time. I recommend sticking with it.

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
HomerJ...I have been on minoxidil on about a month too. No noticable change..no such massive shed. But i do see some real healthy and thick hairs coming out..which i think were there on my head for a really long time.
People usually see cosmetically noticable results around 6 month mark.
Good luck and keep us informed about your progress and experiences with minoxidil :roll:

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
HomerJ...I have been on minoxidil on about a month too. No noticable change..no such massive shed. But i do see some real healthy and thick hairs coming out..which i think were there on my head for a really long time.
People usually see cosmetically noticable results around 6 month mark.
Good luck and keep us informed about your progress and experiences with minoxidil :roll: