minoxidil 5% huge flaking!

tigritos

Reaction score
I started to use minoxidil 5% about 3 weeks ago.

And yesterday, when I was brushing my hairs(softly), I saw those huge flakes comming off my scalp! :freaked:

Size is from 1/8" to 1/4"!

After that I remarked that I had a bit of redness on top of my scalp.

Itching is not to bad, just when I apply it. Because I think I just removed a layer of skin on top of my scalp :?

Any body experienced this problem when started minoxidil treatment???

I use Dr Lee's or generic minoxidil for mornings

And Dr Lee's night solution(minoxidil + retin A) for night application.

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I bet its that Retin-A, that can cause the skin to peel. Did you stay out in the sun too long? That Retin-A makes your skin super sun-sensitive, maybe its a sunburn.

tigritos

Reaction score
Thank's for your answers,

Yes, my head was exposed to direct sunlight, my skin peeled where I had less hair on my crown.

This makes a lot of sense now.

I think it might be good to alternate with regular minoxidil every two days.

under20

Established Member
Reaction score
I know exaclty wut u mean. I got the exact same thing where i get huge pieces of skin peeling off where i am applying the minoxidil, but i use regular 5% minoxidil, not the one with retin-A. Does this mean that its causing irratation? I thought this was normal with minoxidil.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I had serious flaking, I mean scalp chunks coming off for the entire first month and a half of my minoxidil treatment. I think the combination of the Nizoral shampoo, and just plain TIME for my scalp to become adjusted to being doused with an alcohol-based solution every day, caused the flaking to taper off and go away by month two. It's normal, don't worry. Although I am not sure that jumping right into the Retin A was a good idea. As suggested above, cycle it in a few nights a week until your scalp becomes adjusted to it. Then, restart daily treatment. That's Gardener's stand.

Kevin fretwell

Established Member
Reaction score
I've always had bad flaking with minoxidil and still do but I wear a hat at work and do some carefull grooming as to not have flakes . I know its the constant application of oily minoxidil thats softening the skin and peeling it . To bad they just don't make it with alcohol .Is there one out there .

tigritos

Reaction score
If I can afford it, should I only use Dr Lee's minoxidil?

I mean Regular 5%(AM) and 5%+Retin A (PM)

Because it drys so much faster, like in 30 minutes. :)

I live in Canada and he does'nt charge the 20$ perscription fee, and shipping only cost 5$.

And the genric stuff (Member's Mark from Sam's Club) take's about 2 to 3 hours to dry :freaked:

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I did have flaking problems with the original 2% minoxidil but for whatever reason the 5% generic gives me no issues.