minoxidil 5% Shedding Area

hl00245

Reaction score
A few months ago I noticed some hair loss on the front/temple area. Mostly thinning but enough to consider doing something. Went to the dermatologist, he said there is thinning and that I should go on minoxidil 5% and propecia. Was reluctant to go on propecia, don't like the idea of a drug messing with my hormones - and I also heard of some negative side effects. Whether these are true or not, I figured maybe Ill just try minoxidil to start.

I apply the minoxidil twice every day (morning and night). I have noticed a huge increase in shedding after two weeks of application. I know this is a possible side effect, but I am getting shedding all over the top of my head, and I only apply the minoxidil to the front and temples. When I am in the shower, while I shampoo (I used head & shoulders) I look at my hand and it is covered in hair. I wash the hair off and run my fingers through again, and I still see lots of hair. Maybe see about 100 hairs come off each shower. The ends of the hairs have very small white bulbs.

Wondering if the minoxidil is the cause of shedding all over the top of my head even though I only apply it to the front area.

Thanks.

TEDDYRUXPIN

Established Member
Reaction score
100 hairs in the shower? You are exaggerating.... no way in one wash will you get 100 hairs falling out, unless you are pulling them out.

Minoxidil does cause shed on certain people - not all. The exact reason is unknown but is a result of minoxidil or other chemicals causing the hair follicle to shed to start a new phase of growth.

Stick with it. Shedding should stop within the first 2 weeks of application. If it continues, you should stop and see the doctor again. Read the instructions. It states this.

What people don't know, sometimes the chemicals apart from the minoxidil can cause irritation of the scalp which can result in hairloss. i.e. allergic reaction.

hl00245

Reaction score
Well, I didn't sit there and count each hair, but I have never had this much hair falling out when I run my hand through my hair. I will try and get a more accurate count tomorrow. Might be closer to 50 if you say 100 is ridiculous, but I truly doubt it is less than that.

Also, you say it should stop within the first two weeks, but it is just past week 3 now. Any cause to worry yet?

hl00245

Reaction score
Just took a shower. This time I counted the hairs that were on my hand after shampooing, then just going through my hair with my hand a few times. Counted 100 and then I stopped, so just a little bit more than 100. This has been happening every shower for the past week I would say.

This too much hair to be losing? Should I stop minoxidil? I'm not even sure if it's a result of the minoxidil though since I only apply the minoxidil to the front, and not my whole head.

hl00245

Reaction score
Update: 4+ weeks in. Still losing 60-100 hairs per shower. Should it stop soon if the hair loss is a result of the minoxidil - or it all depends?

hl00245

Reaction score
Went to my dermatologist. Said I should stop worrying and continue medication. Will post back if the shedding starts to decrease.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I had a major minoxidil shed in weeks 3-5 using minoxidil on the hair line only, and only applying once a day (at night). it was pretty dramatic, with a giant see through chunk gone from the hair line. however, i can't say i ever purposefully ran my hands through my hair trying to see how much was coming out.

I think you should stay with it for at least 3 months before you make a final decision. Although, for most people minoxidil doesn't do too much for the hairline.. you might consider starting on finasteride depending on where you're at. it has worked for me so far with no sides.

rcom440

Reaction score
hl00245 said:
Went to my dermatologist. Said I should stop worrying and continue medication. Will post back if the shedding starts to decrease.

dude, do not use Head & Shoulders shampoo!!!!! With minoxidil it's a NO NO.
Try to use Nizoral 1% shampoo but use it every other day + some other sampoo but not Head & Shoulders.

hl00245

Reaction score
rcom440 said:
dude, do not use Head & Shoulders shampoo!!!!! With minoxidil it's a NO NO. Try to use Nizoral 1% shampoo but use it every other day + some other sampoo but not Head & Shoulders.

Why H&S + minoxidil a no no? Also, I already use nizoral 1% every other day.

By the way, still see a lot of hair on my hand every time I take a shower. Shedding for over 4 weeks straight, tons of hair coming out every shower. Will continue the treatment though. Unfortunately, if it continues this way, my hair will be nonexistent in a few months.

hl00245

Reaction score
Update: Shedding has pretty much stopped for a few days now. After consistent shedding for 3 months. Still continuing the same treatment, minoxidil 5% twice a day, 1.25mg propecia, nizoral 1% every other day.

Don't notice regrowth yet, but now that the shedding seems to have halted, I will hopefully start to see results in the coming months.

hl00245

Reaction score
Update: Been on Rogaine 6 months, and propecia 5 months. Also Ketoconazole 2% for 4-5 months.

Don't notice regrowth. It's thinning out more if anything. Will keep giving it more time though, probably until the 1 year mark.

raj47

Established Member
Reaction score
are you seeing everywhere got diffused .. please reply because when i was in dutas about 5 month i got diffused everywhere.