Minoxidil And Cats - Any Opinions From Cat Owners

GarthMarenghi

Reaction score
Hello All,

First post here for a long time, but I've used this forum as a good reference for my own hair loss treatment and the information shared on here is excellent.

I have been using Minoxidil for 5-6 years now, but I have a worry about using it while owning a cat.

Our cat passed away last year from heart failure. It was a gradual process, over a few years where symptoms started (vomiting, nervousness) which were not initially recognized as heart failure.

But then last year there were two very sudden episodes, the 2nd of which killed the poor girl. She was actually out of the house both times, and the 2nd fatal episode occurred hours after she returned from 2 weeks at a cattery and had not been exposed to minoxidil over that time at all.

I kept the minoxidil in a room the cat could not get into and I always thoroughly washed my hands after every use, yet our cat died of a heart condition where her lungs filled up with fluid, which is very similar to a short term reaction to minoxidil.

The warnings I have encountered online suggest that a cats reaction to minoxidil usually occur after 8 hours (lethargy) and then after 4 days (fluid filling the lungs, cardiac issues, and ultimately death).

We have just adopted two new cats, and I've cut out minoxidil for the moment. I'm posting here for your opinions? I'm worried exposure over time to minoxidil, via the smell or perhaps or walking through a dried up part of it on my hair, gave my cat her heart failure condition and I certainly don't want to restart until I get some advice. Anyone with a cat here that has had any experience with this?

Thanks in advance for any opinions on this.

G

GarthMarenghi

Reaction score
In addition, as it wouldn't let me add these to the original post, here are some links I have looked at and they seem to present conflicting information.

This odd study that actually gave used minoxidil on a cat and it survived:-

Study

And this veterinary journal suggesting it is toxic to cats:-

Journal

resu

Reaction score
Be very careful of the sink since they like to drink from there and to be in the tub (when it doesn't have water).

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was really concerned about this and i had done a lot of research into it...its potentially fatal to both cats and dogs..i would imagine any pet just to set record straight and probably small children as well its probably dangerous---but cats in particular its highly lethal

I dont think this happened to your cat..becuase it happens quickly.

I would take extra precautions with new pets if you are concerned...where you keep/use/wash the minoxodil--dont let the cat in that room if you can avoid it...if its the bathroom keep the new cats out of the bathroom.

Don't rest your wet head on pillows your cat may lay on--this is extreme but just in case it will put your mind at ease.

I think if it was that easy for cats to come into secondary contact with minoxodil--we would be hearing of much more cat deaths the medicine is around for a long, long time. Im sure vets would be asking if cat came into contact if they were otherwise young and healthy or no previous signs of heart failure.

take a moment to clean out sink make it as easy for yourself as you can--get the cleaning wipes and keep then on the counter--after you use minoxidil and sink take a wipe and quickly wipe down sink and counter. Takes 5 seconds.
Make it convenient for yourself.

GarthMarenghi

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time out to reply hairblues and resu. :)

When I did use minoxidil and our previous cat was alive the minoxidil was always in a small en-suite bathroom that the cat was never allowed in, and I used it there and washed my hands thoroughly before leaving the room. The cat never came into contact with my hair either when wet or dry. I would use the same precautions if I started again now we have adopted the new cats.

I posted a similar thread on another forum and a user there suggested using minoxidil foam instead. Do you think that makes sense? To me, it seems to be more logical to use the liquid. I've used the foam before and then tends to squirt small amounts at odd angles at times, and I wouldn't be sure where to clean on the floor afterwards, whereas with the liquid I can make sure it goes on my head and nowhere else. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for any replies. :)

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time out to reply hairblues and resu. :)

When I did use minoxidil and our previous cat was alive the minoxidil was always in a small en-suite bathroom that the cat was never allowed in, and I used it there and washed my hands thoroughly before leaving the room. The cat never came into contact with my hair either when wet or dry. I would use the same precautions if I started again now we have adopted the new cats.

I posted a similar thread on another forum and a user there suggested using minoxidil foam instead. Do you think that makes sense? To me, it seems to be more logical to use the liquid. I've used the foam before and then tends to squirt small amounts at odd angles at times, and I wouldn't be sure where to clean on the floor afterwards, whereas with the liquid I can make sure it goes on my head and nowhere else. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for any replies. :)

As for the cats i dont see how it makes a difference unless you are worried about drying time

I never used liquid. I only ever used foam...i use it as directed..i have a small china plate i keep under sink that i put the foam on the plate and use my finger to apply..then i rinse off plate and wash hands and put plate back in cabinet.

GarthMarenghi

Reaction score
Thanks again hairblues for your repy :)

Out of curiosity which brand of the foam do you use? I may well switch to your method, it sounds pretty good.

Also, do you find the foam dries relatively quickly? :)

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks again hairblues for your repy :)

Out of curiosity which brand of the foam do you use? I may well switch to your method, it sounds pretty good.

Also, do you find the foam dries relatively quickly? :)

I use womans rogain 5% foam..

I find it dries within 30 minutes not sure..my hair is long so after i put it up in a lose bun so cant be exact.

I tried to use the foam without the plate and its a mess--melts way too quick on fingers or in my hand.
On the plate it stays like a puff of foam until you are finished.