minoxidil and flaky skin....help anyone

smallz

Reaction score
i have been on minoxidil for a few weeks and every time i put it on, i get horrible flaky dandruff. Is there any way to stop this besides nizoral and antidandruff shampoo. Could this mean I am putting it on too thick. thanks

williteverend

Reaction score
I had the same problem for the first month or so of minoxidil. It seems that my flakes have subsided, i think your scalp must need a "get used to minoxidil" stage. give it a few more weeks and if the flakes dont stop, reduce the amount and get a good conditioner.

stevieb

Reaction score
hey smallz...you and i are in the same boat...i believe i began using the minoxidil about the same time you did and believe me, i know all about the flaking. I bought a shampoo called t/gel with the main ingrediant being coal tar....i use it 3 times a week and its working for me....others rotate it with a another shampoo called nizoral and i think i am going to get this as well.....anyways, the flaking is all worth it because i am 7 weeks into using 5% rogaine and i already see very small hairs all over my head, including my temples.....good luck and keep me up to date on your progress!!!

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
smallz said:
i have been on minoxidil for a few weeks and every time i put it on, i get horrible flaky dandruff. Is there any way to stop this besides nizoral and antidandruff shampoo. Could this mean I am putting it on too thick. thanks

I had terrible flaking in the first two-three months after starting minoxidil. Whenever i used to wash my hair with Nizoral, the flaking went off, but eventually came back. I avoided using nizoral daily.
But now my flaking has gone. I think my scalp has got used to minoxidil.
Just keep using nizoral, and the flaking should disappear by itself in a couple of months.