minoxidil- ASAP or Later?

Molecular Help

Established Member
Reaction score
Minoxidil is usually not reccomended on this board for people who would be happy maintaining their current head of hair. A few reasons given are "keep your regimen as simple as possible" and "you want to have something you can add later if your regimen loses effectiveness".

Now I would be happy if I could maintain what I have now, especially considering how much worse it could be. But something I was reading about minoxidil on the rogaine website made me wonder if I should use it. They say that an ideal candidate for success with minoxidil is someone whose hair loss occured mostly within the year or two previous to using it.

So perhaps waiting to start minoxidil hurts it's effectiveness, even if you are using other hair loss treatments that are helping during that time. I certainly see the logic of wanting to hold off and keep it in reserve for regrowth down the line, but not if in the end that means it's going to work on less hair follicles.

misterium

Reaction score
Bump!

I need to know also because I'm on Propecia, about to months now.. and I just dropped minoxidil from my regimine.. too irritating, plus it was only a couple bottles that I've finished so I don't think the shed will be that bad...

I'd like to see if Propecia is good first, before adding minoxidil to my regimine.. I'm only thinning on my crown/vertex with a very small swirl spot so far showing.. nothing really 'bald' ..

I read the same thing at rogaine.com so I'm confused myself if I should wait and add it later to my regimine, or get back on it now.. (I'd get PPG free from Dr. Lee because regular makes me itch bad!)

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Think about it like this...what if you dont respond well to minoxidil and just go through shed after shed after shed without seeing any regrowth.......if you want to maintain...and your already using propecia i would jump on the spironolactone band wagon and ride it out for a year and see if your hairloss has stopped or slowed down then think about regrowth after youve got a handle on your hairloss situation.

misterium

Reaction score
I'm really not sure man..