minoxidil dependant hairs being shed or male pattern baldness speeding up?

donkifocker

Reaction score
Hi. I have quit minoxidil foam after using it for 5 months, with no noteworthy improvement. I have been off of it for almost 4 months now, and going through a huge shed. FWIW, I have been on Fluridil for the past 30 days though.

Are the hair that were dependant on minoxidil shedding as a result of dropping it from my regimen? If so, I reckon that I should get back on it.

Or is my balding just speeding up unfortunately? :dunno:

brightside

Established Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't have thought it would be the Minoxidil - not after 4 months but someone else may know more.

Did you not get a shed when applying Minoxidil?

Does the shedding coincide with starting the Fluridil?
Fluridil has reduced the shedding for me.

peter079

Established Member
Reaction score
Last month I also quit minoxidil after 6 months. I have noticed my hair thin considerably and not just the minor regrowth. It is worse than it was 6 months ago. I hope some grow back :(

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Any hairs that have been regrown or maintained since you began minoxidil will shed as soon as you stop taking it.

Studies show that once people cease taking minoxidil they have a huge initial shed, where they have a smaller haircount than when they began minoxidil, however after a couple of months this hair grows back and your hair should look like it would if you had never used minoxidil at all.

donkifocker

Reaction score
Primo said:
Any hairs that have been regrown or maintained since you began minoxidil will shed as soon as you stop taking it.

Studies show that once people cease taking minoxidil they have a huge initial shed, where they have a smaller haircount than when they began minoxidil, however after a couple of months this hair grows back and your hair should look like it would if you had never used minoxidil at all.

I've heard this before, but when does this post-minoxidil shed occur?

ditto

Reaction score
I quit minoxidil 7 months ago but still shedding crazily. I tried to find out in forums and websites but nobody knows when the f*cking sh*t will stop and whether we will have some regrowth or not :(

Regards,
Ditto.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
donkifocker said:
Primo said:

I've heard this before, but when does this post-minoxidil shed occur?

There's no way to know for sure, but usually two to four weeks. Some people never shed, while others never grow anything back from minoxidil. It just depends on how your hair follicles react.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you give up minoxidil after say 6months you will always get a massive shed on two fronts.

Your hair will shed firstly because the minoxidil dependent, thin and wispy hairs will not be able to survive.

Also your original existing hairs will now be under attack from male pattern baldness again and will resume shedding too.

However after 6months off Minoxidil, once the shed has taken place, the hair will grow back to a the poistion it would have been had you not taken any treatments at all.

Naturally enough, this is always going to look worse than expected over time because the male pattern baldness will have progressed over that 12month period.