minoxidil - Dose Dependent?

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
I am INCREDIBLY p|ssed. Last night, my head was so itchy, I didn't apply my minoxidil. This morning, I was running late, and didn't apply the minoxidil.

I just ran my hand through my hair ten times. Only one hair came out.

Yesterday, when I was itching, I pulled out over 80 hairs in the course of the day. It was falling all over my f-ing keyboard, desk, &c.

WTF is going on!??

I am beginning to think that a lower concentration might be more appropriate for me. I am not sure. I am thinking about experimenting.

Does anyone know if minoxidil response is dose dependent?

SE-freak

Reaction score
What happens is that when you scratch you dislodge much more telogen hairs than when you just run your fingers through your hair. And of course it is possible that you had to lose those hairs and most of them fell yesterday so there arent many to fall today.

People have to keep in mind that what happens to their hair today, is the image of the follicle's life 3 months ago. Skipping one minoxidil application, even if it could theoretically greatly improve the condition of you irritated scalp, will not make hairs shed or prevent them from shedding.

It is very difficult to pull a hair off while it is anagen. If it is telogen it is a matter of time.

minoxidil results ARE dose dependent but there is possibly a limit to what minoxidil treatment can grow for you. 5% definately grows more than 2% though. I think that your problem might be ppg and not the active ingredient.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
What happens is that when you scratch you dislodge much more telogen hairs than when you just run your fingers through your hair. And of course it is possible that you had to lose those hairs and most of them fell yesterday so there arent many to fall today.

That's what I'm trying to say, though. I did the same test I always do. The difference is jaw dropping! I just shook my hair over a sink and only got a few hairs! :freaked: This is bizarre, and i can't understand what is going on. very confused.

Sorry for the freak out. It's just so freaking weird... and so fast! It just doesn't make any sense!

You are probably right about the PPG. I am looking into Dr. Lee's minoxidil.

87david

Established Member
Reaction score
While I agree with SE-Freak concerning the hair phases, hair is hair. It is either there or it's not. Nobody will ever notice what phase your hair is in, but they will sure notice if it's not there anymore. I have used minoxidil for 6 years or more and I can indeed tell you that it will cause itching. Dried minoxidil tends to build up on your scalp and eventually cause intense itching if you don't wash your hair every day. As a result, it will be very easy to scratch your hair out if you let this irritation get out of hand. One sign that you're suffering from some irritation is of course your itching, but also the excessive dandruff. Therefore, I agree with SE-Freak that you might want to look into PPG free minoxidil (I might try this myself) if the 2% Rogaine is still too irritating. Because if your scalp is constantly irritated and you find yourself always scratching your head as a result, you will probably never get good hair growth.

Moreover, one reason some people might get irritation is possibly because they put too much on. A little bit of minoxidil can go a long way, so be careful how much you use. Good luck.

SE-freak

Reaction score
87david said:
Moreover, one reason some people might get irritation is possibly because they put too much on. A little bit of minoxidil can go a long way, so be careful how much you use.

Yes I will definately agree with you on this one.

Due to zeal and anticipation one could overdo it. I have found that when I spray some minoxidil on and it is not evenly distributed(there is a "lake" of excess minoxidil on my skin or drops trapped among hairs) that specific spot will stay moist for hours and hours and will itch.

I am using Regaine so I don't know if this is applies to generic solutions.