Minoxidil or not

latereaction

Reaction score
Been on propecia for about 35 days....and have seen no effect till now...i am wondering if i should start using minoxidil for my hairline and temples?...i wanted to just do propecia for 6 months to judge its effectiveness but i dont want to lose the 6 months i could be regrowing hair using minoxidil...
here are some pics from last month before i started propecia...
can minoxidil help me get some more coverage on the sides of the hairline?

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/death_ ... th_by_mojo

The Gardener

Reaction score
Well, I would certainly say that you are a good candidate for Minoxidil. It really depends on whether or not you want the regrowth, and are willing to add a new level of complexity to your regimen to attain it. Tough call!

I would suggest adding in Nizoral shampoo, 2-3 times a week. You want a good anti-inflammatory in your regimen and it will help reduce sebum levels on your scalp which is a good thing. The active chemical, ketoanalconahole, or something like that, is also a mild topical anti-androgen.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Finasteride is a DHT blocker as you know. Its main claim to fame is maintenance not regrowth (although some men do experience regrowth using Finasteride).

Minoxidil on the other hand is a hair stimulant.

Many men like to use the "big 3" which consists of Finasteride, Minoxidil, and Nizoral 2%. Short of trying unproven topicals this would be the best treatment one can use to both maintain hair and possibly regrow some hair.

In your case, after reviewing your pictures, I think minoxidil would atleast give you some benefit in the crown.

As far as the hairline and temples, most men usually get very little results in that area using regular OTC 5% minoxidil.

You can either try to using a more potent minoxidil from Dr. Lee or you can try the "oz brew" variation of minoxidil. That may be your best bet for those areas of the scalp IMHO.

latereaction

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys

I have been thinking of adding nizoral...but i assumed it was needed only when using minoxidil to cuonter the danddruff etc...

is spironolactone better or minoxidil...

either oen of those i dont tihnk ic an apply to my full scalp..i will prolly just apply them upfront..i used minoxiil on my temples for a month 5 years ago and got fuzzy hair immediately...i am thinking if i try it agian those fuzzy ahir might get thick with help of propecia....

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking of adding nizoral...but i assumed it was needed only when using minoxidil to cuonter the danddruff etc...

No, Nizoral 2% is an excellent shampoo to use for the inflammation that male pattern baldness may cause, to help further reduce DHT, to increase hair thickness up to 8%, to help with dandruff, and even with the side effects of using topical minoxidil.

It is an awesome shampoo :)

is spironolactone better or minoxidil...

spironolactone is a topical DHT blocker. Like Finasteride, blocking DHT can result in hairgrowth. However, minoxidil is the only compound on the market that is a proven hair stimulant.

klaus

Established Member
Reaction score
socks said:
Finasteride is a DHT blocker as you know. Its main claim to fame is maintenance not regrowth (although some men do experience regrowth using Finasteride).

Minoxidil on the other hand is a hair stimulant.

Many men like to use the "big 3" which consists of Finasteride, Minoxidil, and Nizoral 2%. Short of trying unproven topicals this would be the best treatment one can use to both maintain hair and possibly regrow some hair.

In your case, after reviewing your pictures, I think minoxidil would atleast give you some benefit in the crown.

As far as the hairline and temples, most men usually get very little results in that area using regular OTC 5% minoxidil.

You can either try to using a more potent minoxidil from Dr. Lee or you can try the "oz brew" variation of minoxidil. That may be your best bet for those areas of the scalp IMHO.

socks, whats oz brew? how im manufacture this?
tks.

G

The Gardener said:
The active chemical, ketoanalconahole, or something like that, is also a mild topical anti-androgen.

keto-a***-cona-hole :freaked: :freaked: :freaked2:

have you been speaking to Hopewas?

the active ingredient is called:

'Ketoconazole'

Ty

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of people who take rogaine or minoxidil don't like to put it only because it makes there hair greesy. I also learn to the bald truth on the radio and the guy who talks on it said that you only use minoxidil or rogaine if propecia is not working out for you. It also give you one last hope too. So if you start minoxidil and you found out that it's not doing any good than you don't have any more options for drugs.

G

ACT10Npack said:
It also give you one last hope too. So if you start minoxidil and you found out that it's not doing any good than you don't have any more options for drugs.

this is is not rooted in logic my friend

would it also be true that if you didn't start minoxidil (which does not work for you) then you would have more options for the future???

Ty

mrlestat

Reaction score
I use proscar and minoxidil. I started using minoxidil 3-4 months into my proscar treatment & I have seen dramatic regrowth over 4 months in my temples / hairline.. I honestly believe minoxidil has given me far more regrowth then proscar ( having taken it by its self 18 months ago with great results but I got lazy & stopped :oops: )) Big mistake..

Having viewed your pictures I would suggest starting minoxidil tomorrow and giving those follicles a kick in the ***, beware you will shed in the first few weeks but after that its all regrowth... I'm very happy with my results - thickened by 50+% :shock: :) Can't even tell I'm thinning now, so don't hesitate. P.S. I only apply it once a day..

Best of luck

guy83

Established Member
Reaction score
I used minoxidil for like 5 months and it really didnt do sh*t to me.. i stopped when i ran out and was broke, and even though i started shedding throughout my entire scalp, i used minoxidil only on the temples. My question is if what if i use it while i am on Proscar/Propecia, will i see results then?

Petchsky

Reaction score
I took minoxidil and proscar both seperately with little regrowth. It was only when i combined these two products that i began to see new hair. For me i cannot advocate the minoxidil, proscar and nizerol combo enough.

:!: