minoxidil Shed

moseymoose

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've finally made the decision that I would like to use minoxidil. In particular the Rogaine 5% foam, since I don't really want to be bothered with the solution.

Just out of interest, roughly what percentage of my hair can I expect to shed that isn't already in the growth phase? I would prefer advice from people who are using or have used minoxidil alone or with nizoral, since I do not want to go on finasteride at this point in my life.

I was using Nizoral twice weekly, I stopped a month ago, and this month I've had massive about of thinning and hairloss. This must be that catch-up hair loss that people talk about when you stop using an anti-androgen. You'd actually be surprised I showed you a picture of how dark my hair was 2 months ago compared to now lol.

My current goal is to maintain my full coverage and to improve on hair density a little, since the hair is all there, but thin and getting thinner im thinking i might benifit from using minoxidil. just would like my question answered. On what kind of scale is this shedding?

shineman921

Established Member
Reaction score
moseymoose said:
Hi guys, I've finally made the decision that I would like to use minoxidil. In particular the Rogaine 5% foam, since I don't really want to be bothered with the solution.

Just out of interest, roughly what percentage of my hair can I expect to shed that isn't already in the growth phase? I would prefer advice from people who are using or have used minoxidil alone or with nizoral, since I do not want to go on finasteride at this point in my life.

I was using Nizoral twice weekly, I stopped a month ago, and this month I've had massive about of thinning and hairloss. This must be that catch-up hair loss that people talk about when you stop using an anti-androgen. You'd actually be surprised I showed you a picture of how dark my hair was 2 months ago compared to now lol.

My current goal is to maintain my full coverage and to improve on hair density a little, since the hair is all there, but thin and getting thinner im thinking i might benifit from using minoxidil. just would like my question answered. On what kind of scale is this shedding?

I didn't experience any shedding at all with minoxidil.Good call re the Rogaine/Regaine Foam. I think it's more effective and is very easy to manage as it dries quickly. Makes my scalp itch like hell though and I only use the foam once daily and the liquid before I sleep. Giving my scalp a break from the foam for a couple of days!!

I'm concerned with the initial shed if I start finasteride.

moseymoose

Established Member
Reaction score
shineman921 said:
moseymoose said:

I didn't experience any shedding at all with minoxidil.Good call re the Rogaine/Regaine Foam. I think it's more effective and is very easy to manage as it dries quickly. Makes my scalp itch like hell though and I only use the foam once daily and the liquid before I sleep. Giving my scalp a break from the foam for a couple of days!!

I'm concerned with the initial shed if I start finasteride.

Good stuff, Never heard of anyone that hasn't experienced a shed, can I ask what kind of coverage you have? And also how much improvement you have found so far?

I'd very much like the convinience of the foam, however I have been looking at Spectral DNC since it has other active ingredients that claim to promote growth and improvement in the temple and hairline, which is what I'm after, it's expensive stuff though.

shineman921

Established Member
Reaction score
I like MOPC Labs 15% minoxidil which also has Azelaic Acid (DHT inhibitor). I'd use it all the time but you just can't get it in the UK. I've just finished my last bottle which I imported from US. The MOPC Labs one is good to put on before going to bed as it is quite thick and doesn't run and feel overly wet. I use Kirkland 5% as a rule which I find is ok, but a little runny. I don't put anything on in the mornings now but one treatment on around 5.30pm after work and then another treatment around 10ish.

As it worked? Mmm, something has. I use Nizoral twice weekly too. My hair feels fuller (I put it all over not just where I think I'm thinning). I defo have news hairs growing at the hairline but not a massive amount. Where some of the new growth is I didn't even know I'd lost any! Today I've added Daktarin too and I've put a little at the hair line. Let see if that works!

moseymoose

Established Member
Reaction score
ahh the MOPC I have recently come across, Importing it wouldn't be much of a problem, since I'm willing to fork out for the DNC for a 3 month supply to give it a go. Paying for the MOPC and the duty might work out the same or less, I'm thinking less.

But it's waiting for it. I'm after something for a once a day application around about 10-11pm. I want some growth, but mostly bulking out (ie more hairs in the same area) and mostly maintenance. If I can improve my hair thickness and the density of my hairline somewhat, a once a day application for maintenance for me is fine.

I'm being very tempted by the MOPC, which is odd because I wanted something more convenient than the dropper tool thingy. My shampoo does contain Azelaic Acid, but it's not as good as having it in a solution and leaving it on your scalp to absorb it.

How long have you used the MOPC for, you said its 'thick' by that do you mean it's greasy? or just that it doesn't run too much?

Also, does it give you any irritation?

shineman921

Established Member
Reaction score
the 5% stuff runs down and around the head when you put it on with the dropper and continues to run, for a short while, after spreading it around. This seems common with all 5% minoxidil as I've tried various brands. The MOPC stuff is much thicker and runs far less. I guess you don't waste so much too.

It's the delivery time and the possibility of it getting lost why I don't really want to re-order the MOPC from US. Cost isn't the issue really. I've never been hit for custom charges.

After a few days of the miconazole nitrate I've been staggered by it. Fingers crossed I'm a good responder! I have no idea how but my hair seems thicker and tiny tiny hairs that were slowly growing on the hairline (because of the minoxidil)have increased in length and thickness in comparison to how they were with just minoxidil. I have introduced Iron (with Vitamin C) tablets a couple of weeks back and I suppose that could have kicked in. I'm genuinely gobsmacked!

moseymoose

Established Member
Reaction score
do you remember how long it took for the MOPC to be delivered?

shineman921

Established Member
Reaction score
moseymoose said:
do you remember how long it took for the MOPC to be delivered?

Not long. About 9 days. I ordered it directly from them but via Ebay and paid by Paypal. Be warned though, it dries white on the scalp which is fine if you only use last thing at night and wash off/rinse in the morning. I did make the mistake once of putting it on mid-day once and going to the gym several hours later and the drying sweat made it very very obvious!!!!!!!

moseymoose

Established Member
Reaction score
Ah well that should be okay then, I'm only intending on using it once a day. I'm still waiting for replies on a post about 2 other products, but as you yourself have probably experienced the majority of people on forums are unwilling to give their opinions on things. I just want to know what's a better option/better product. MOPC, MinoxidilMax PPG free forumla, or Spectral DNC, it isn't too much to ask is it? lol

moseymoose

Established Member
Reaction score
Boomer01 said:
From what I've seen, I think I'm leaning towards MOPC.
you think so? how come? in your opinion what's swaying your decision more towards that?

shineman921

Established Member
Reaction score
Boomer01 said:
From what I've seen, I think I'm leaning towards MOPC.

Personally I couldn't say which was more effective between 2%, 5% and 15%. I've used the Spectral DNC stuff too. I started with the 2% and believe I saw regrowth. Blimey does that feel like a long time ago (it's only 7 months max!). If I had to come down on the side of one product it would be the Regaine/Rogaine Foam. Can't rationalise is though. Just something I felt. I did like the MOPC 15% though and it was nice just having it to use if and when.

Boomer01

Established Member
Reaction score
I am just basing it on what response others have gotten from them and the consistency of the product that people have reported. The company is upfront with the ingredients where others like minoxidilmax won't disclose them or answer many questions. People have also said that MOPC has a feel similar to Dr. Lees.

I haven't really heard much negativity about Perfect Image either. That is the way I was leaning before hearing good things about MOPC.