minoxidil Shiz-ed

mcpaulyb

Established Member
Reaction score
Who in here has experienced a significant shed when starting minoxidil? It's the next logical step in combating my hair loss and I'm scared to start b/c of the initial shed.

Right now I'm on finasteride and nizoral.

G

on minoxidil for 11 months now, no shed to report, good filling in of the offending areas, slow but sure, stopped for 3 weeks, visably lost ground :freaked: but made up the ground now.

good luck

Ty

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
Never had a minoxidil shed and I've been on for 8 months

The Gardener

Reaction score
I had an initial shed after starting minoxidil, at about week 4 or so. It really had no impact on the overall visual appearance of my hair.

SexyBeast

Reaction score
Same here, had a slight shed about week three and around month two started to notice hair begining to fill in nicely!

Leirro30

Reaction score
mcpaulyb,

I recently wrote Dr. Lee (Minoxidil.com) a question regarding minoxidil and shedding. I did a brand new post on it but here it is for you to see. I think you'll agree that minoxidil is an important part of a hair-keeping regimen, at least according to Dr. Lee. My questions are in bold and the answers that follow, in italics, were from Dr. Daniel Clifford. Here goes:

Hello Dr. Lee,

I'm a new patient of yours and have just received my Xandrox 5% and spironolactone 5%. I have used the spironolactone every day, at least 2x/day, sometimes 3x/day. However, I was apprehensive about the minoxidil due to the shedding, epecially in the front, at the hairline and temples.

I'm about a Norwood 2, or maybe between a 1 and 2, but definitely thinning in the front and receding just a bit at the temples. It's not really noticeable yet to anyone but me. I felt like the minoxidil was causing me to recede further.

Do these internet forum rumors about minoxidil. causing permanent shedding have any truth to them?

MINOXIDIL CAN NOT REVERSE ALL MALE PATTERN BALDNESS, BUT MINOXIDIL DOES NOT CAUSE PERMANENT SHEDDING.

You should not stop using minoxidil at any time in your treatment program. If you do stop using minoxidil, you will have a lot of shedding. You will understand why after you read further.

Minoxidil does not cause an adverse reaction. That is, minoxidil does not cause follicles to go into the telogen phase.

Only follicles that are in the telogen phase shed.

About 10% of anyone's follicles are in varying stages of the telogen phase. 1% of them are in the 1st day of the telogen phase, another 1% are in the second day of the telogen phase and so forth. The telogen phase lasts about 100 days. Those follicles that are at the end of the telogen phase shed. Those at the beginning of the telogen phase are easy to pull out but do not automatically shed.

The good thing about minoxidil: Minoxidil holds follicles in the anagen phase. When follicles are in the anagen phase, they do not shed, they do not miniaturize, and they keep growing. Minoxidil also causes follicles in the telogen phase that were scheduled to shed anyway, to shed early. That is, those follicles that are easily dislodged, will shed before the end of the 100 days with minoxidil. This is not significant, and when these same follicles grow back, they will stay in the anagen phase longer because as I have already said, minoxidil holds follicles in the anagen phase. But if you stop using minoxidil, the follicles at risk that were being held in the anagen phase will go into the telogen phase and shed. There will be lots of shedding if you stop using minoxidil.

Have you seen anyone shed frontal hair and never grow it back on minoxidil?

Yes, 17% of patients are not helped by any topical treatments. They shed with or without minoxidil and don't grow back their hair with or without minoxidil.

I'm asking because I really want to use it but am afraid I'll permanently lose my frontal hair.

Understand that drugs such as Azelaic acid, spironolactone and finasteride (Propecia) protect the follicles from DHT in the scalp but protecting from DHT in the scalp isn't the whole solution. Even men who have been castrated for treatment of prostate cancer and have no source of DHT will stop the balding process, but they do not grow back significant amounts of hair (unless they also use minoxidil as a hair growth stimulant). That's why a combination of minoxidil and an anti-androgen is important for growth outside the vertex/crown area.

Anyway, thanks for a great line of products. I love the 5% spironolactone cream.

You will think the 5% is even greater if you use it with minoxidil. I doubt you will have much success without minoxidil.

Best wishes,

Daniel Clifford, M.D

SLD

Reaction score
how long does it take to the shedding start? i started minoxidil 5% yesterday and i have huge amounts of hair falling cause of it! I dont think i should continue

SLD

Reaction score
its wierd... same thing this morning, maybe its an alergic reaction but my scalp is just slightly red :roll:

The shedder

Established Member
Reaction score
After a day I doubt minoxidil can cause a immediate shed, I had a small shed around 3 weeks, go figure.