minoxidil + spironolactone + finasteride Topical

m0rpheus

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Trying something a little different

I have minoxidil 5% and making a solution with 2.5% spironolactone and 0.025% finasteride.

I will only make 10ml at a time and store in fridge. Its as simple as adding a 2.5mg crush Proscar tab and 25mg crushed spironolactone tab.

I want to make only 10ml at a time and store in fridge to stop and stability problems. I have not noticed the spironolactone smell everyone talks about. I will do a light skin needle before applying.

Now correct me if I am wrong. spironolactone at 2.5% and applying 1ml if we had full systematic absorption would be 2.5mg of spironolactone entering my body? Same applies with the finasteride if full systematic absorption will be 0.25mg in my body?

Is this correct? what are your thoughts?

CCS

Reaction score
minoxidil reacts with spironolactone in the container. It will lose its effectiveness and stink.

m0rpheus

Reaction score
I have not found one ounce of proof to back up that claim... CCS can you show me some proof?

I have read it in forums but seems like an old wives tale. spironolactone generally does stink although my batch does not seem to.

kadosh

Established Member
Reaction score
I think its the interaction with alcohol that makes spironolactone smell so bad .

ali777

Reaction score
I think minoxidil.com says that spironolactone and minoxidil react. I'm not sure if it's those two components that react or the delivery agents.

I've been looking at spironolactone as well, I'm leaning towards trying it but I have a few reservations. It hasn't really been tested on men....

kadosh

Established Member
Reaction score
It has been tested for hirsutism and it worked and its safe too . when i used it i added some essence to counter the smell but as soon as i used the minoxidil it started to smell regardless.

CCS

Reaction score
m0rpheus said:
I have not found one ounce of proof to back up that claim... CCS can you show me some proof?

I have read it in forums but seems like an old wives tale. spironolactone generally does stink although my batch does not seem to.

What do you think is the reason why Dr Lee, who sells concoctions of both, does not mix them together if they don't react? Would make a great topical, no? And we know that even though spironolactone smells a bit, it smells way worse when you add the minoxidil to the same bottle. Why not just apply them separately?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
m0rpheus said:
Now correct me if I am wrong. spironolactone at 2.5% and applying 1ml if we had full systematic absorption would be 2.5mg of spironolactone entering my body?

Nope. One mL of 2.5% spironolactone contains 25 mg of spironolactone. You missed it by an order of magnitude! :)

m0rpheus

Reaction score
CCS said:
m0rpheus said:

What do you think is the reason why Dr Lee, who sells concoctions of both, does not mix them together if they don't react? Would make a great topical, no? And we know that even though spironolactone smells a bit, it smells way worse when you add the minoxidil to the same bottle. Why not just apply them separately?

I understand this. I am sure making it commercially this could be a problem. If you have 60ml batches which are kept at room temp and not used for months I can see reaction problems.

My point is mixing it in 10ml (thus 10 days worth) and keeping it in a fridge might be overcoming these problems?

Bryan said:
m0rpheus said:
Now correct me if I am wrong. spironolactone at 2.5% and applying 1ml if we had full systematic absorption would be 2.5mg of spironolactone entering my body?

Nope. One mL of 2.5% spironolactone contains 25 mg of spironolactone. You missed it by an order of magnitude! :)

Haha thanks mate. I read your posts and you are very switched on :p Lot more then me. Can you help me out with my poor maths skills.

10ml of minoxidil + 25MG of spironolactone = what percent of spironolactone? and what is the max systematic absorption at 1ml per application?

CCS

Reaction score
m0rpheus said:
10ml of minoxidil + 25MG of spironolactone = what percent of spironolactone? and what is the max systematic absorption at 1ml per application?

0.25% spironolactone
At most 5% of minoxidil applied is absorbed. Or it is 5% of what is absorbed that goes systemic as minoxidil. Maybe spironolactone has similar statistics. Some steroid patches have 30% absorption. It really does depend on the vehicle. Flutamide in a certain vehicle had 16% systemic absorption. spironolactone is supposed to be less than that.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
m0rpheus said:
and what is the max systematic absorption at 1ml per application?

Almost all the topical spironolactone studies (with both animals and humans) show no systemic absorption at all. I know of only one study with hamsters which was an exception.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
m0rpheus said:
and what is the max systematic absorption at 1ml per application?

Almost all the topical spironolactone studies (with both animals and humans) show no systemic absorption at all. I know of only one study with hamsters which was an exception.

Fu*king Hamsters...

Bryan could you post some links to these studies please?

I've recently been applying spironolactone 5% cream to my head. I used what I thought was a modest amount. Unfortunately, I did get side effects. In no way did I expect these but I've heard of reports before. I had chest pains which ceased after quitting spironolactone. I know that Kiel got them when he applied too much. In all fairness I only applied a thin film to the male pattern baldness effected areas once every night. I brushed off these side effects at the beginning thinking they were just in my head and that no-one gets side effects. Then I started getting heart palpitations and had trouble breathing in the mornings. This was what got me to get off of it. I don't know how or what caused these but they obviously aren't good.

It seems that everything I use gives me side effects and I'm not the kind of person that goes looking for them. I really liked spironolactone because it had a great cooling effect on my inflammation.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
decro435 said:
Bryan could you post some links to these studies please?

I don't have links to any of them, just paper copies of the studies.