Minoxidil stopped working after 8 months

Benson

Reaction score
Hello friends, first post here. I'm 32 years old and started noticing hair loss about a year ago. The hair loss appears to be from all over, my bald spot in back has gotten more noticeable and my crown is definitely thinning. I've always had thin, weak hair, so the last year has been a trying experience for me. As soon as I noticed the hair loss I began using minoxidil and Nizoral right away, and got a prescription for Finasteride but quit using after it after only 2 months out of fear of the side effects.

To my delight, after a month or so, the regimen of just minoxidil and Nizoral stopped my hair loss almost completely. I threw the Finasteride in the cabinet hoping I'd never need it again, and life was good.

But about a month ago, I started experiencing shedding worse than I've ever encountered. Every time I comb my hair I'm finding dozens of hairs in my hands when my hair is wet, it looks like half my hair is gone. However, when my hair is dry and styled my hair loss isn't noticeable to others, but now I'm starting to see it. I recently started taking Bitotin and B vitamins along with this "natural" DHT blocker I saw at Walgreens but the shedding isn't slowing down so far.

So I guess my question is, should I start taking Finasteride now? And should I continue using minoxidil?

I feel like I'm down to my last resort now. Or should I try the s5 cream first? What really sucks is that I finally have a hair style that I like and people actually compliment; of course my luck now I'm starting to lose it. To make matters worse, I'm also finally seeing some opportunities in the entertainment field but I feel like those will all vanish when my hair does. People always think I'm much younger than my age but now it's become a double edged sword. Oddly enough, my dad still has pretty full hair too.

Thanks for any opinions I can get. I feel pretty alone in this battle and I'd really appreciate any help I can get. Happy holidays.

Raz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil didn't stop working, it's just that minoxidil by itself doesn't stop the actual balding process, being a growth stimulant instead. Your male pattern baldness simply got more aggressive, without you tackling the underlying cause thereof. You are going to need a DHT-blocker to keep fighting the battle. Finasteride and minoxidil work great in conjunction, too.

So in a nutshell, get on Finasteride. You already have some experience on it and from what it sounds like, you didn't even have sides on it. (Just a "fear of the sides").

Benson

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Raz. Yes, I did try Finasteride, but I wasn't on it long enough to know if it works for me or if I'll experience side effects. Is there any way to know if I'll experience the side effects before taking it, or do I just have to give it a go? I naturally have a rather low sex drive, which isn't a big deal while I'm single right now, but I'm starting to date someone new and I'd hate for the side effects to kick it while our relationship starts. Thanks again.