minoxidil= thicker hair?

odb

Established Member
Reaction score
Like the topic says. I would like to know your opinions about how effective minoxidil is when it comes to make existing hair thicker and more pigmented. I´m not talking about "real regrowth" or growing peach fuzz at the temples. Just some general thickening of the existing thinner hair in the front and also back at the crown.

I´ve been on finasteride for 8 months. My hairloss is stopped completly (knock on wood). But I would like some more thickening.

Luther007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would recommend Folligen. Its better for just thickening, if you arent looking for "real regrowth". Don't make your hair minoxidil-dependent if it doesn't need to be.

odb

Established Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify. By "thinner hair" I mean "miniturized hairs thanks to f****n male pattern baldness".

minitiruzied? miniturized? minitirinitinturiezd? minutururururized? minotarusiuszied? How the hell do you spell it????? :D

ShedMaster

Reaction score
minoxidil will most definitely thicken up your hair. Especially if you are on propecia at the same time.

Resultsnottypical

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been usuing minoxidil faithfully for over 6 months. I have blond hair and keep it quite short.

I am a good test case of this, because my level of progression into male pattern baldness has left me with TONS of thin, blond/white hairs all over my head. There isn't one area that DOESN't have hair, yet, on top the diffuse thinning has left me with the horseshoe look.

My hairs are now thickening up, significantly. I have died my hair black a few times, and it really brought out all the hairs that are there. THey are also growing longer, and staying thicker longer. Not as much as I would like. I keep my hair on top about a #1 guard, and no guard on the sides (like the Rock, kinda).

One area I have not seen as much as I would like, is a continued darkening of the pigmentation, to my original blond (which is of course, much darker than colorless/blond). You can still see the different in the rim of the horseshoe area, going down the sides and top of my head, but minoxidil is bringing up the back in that area (making the area that is balding smaller).

I am adding crinigen as soon as it gets here, and we will see where that takes me.

odb

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for your input

Let´s say I start using minoxidil and give it enough time and all, and then 8 months later I realize nothing has changed. My hair is not thicker nor thinner. Can I drop it then? From what I´ve read here, if I stop with the minoxidil I´ll lose some ground even if I´ve been on finasteride the whole time , correct? But is this true even if I didn´t benefit anything at all from minoxidil?

The Gardener

Reaction score
I would say that minoxidil DEFINITELY thickens up existing hairs, assuming of course that you are, in general, a responder to it. The thickening up of my existing hair has been the most dramatic result I have seen as a result of my regimen. I have bald temples, and am seeing improvement in the reduction of them, BUT the improvement in the existing hair I have in the center-forehead area between the temples has been fantastic. It used to be thin and curly and brittle, now, it is styleable. Serious cosmetic improvement. Even though my temple reduction is slow and not all that noticeable, the ability to now style my existing hair has resulted in some very positive comments from friends and family.

G

odb, considering that you are on month 8 of finasteride and you are now maintaining, you should probably wait till the 1 year mark before adding minoxidil. Just see what the finasteride can thicken up in the next 4 months. Thought i would throw that out.

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
Gardener: How long was it before you started to notice that your hair was becoming thicker?

odb

Established Member
Reaction score
Badasshairday: I see your point and this was pretty much what I was thinking too earlier. I saw improvement during my first months but the last 4 months nothing has really happened. I dont see how this would change.

Hopewas: about Wanderlei Silva ..you gotta love him, great fighter and ruthless inside the ring, like a freaking psycho. But outside the ring he´s humble and a very nice person.

back to the minoxidil.
What would you say is the biggest hassle with minoxidil?

hopewas

Reaction score
yeah. i've been an mma fan for 10 years. been doing jiu jitsu and muay thai for around 5. the upcoming pride gp is going to be a great tournament

odb

Established Member
Reaction score
I´ve been a fan for ten years too, although in the early beginning I saw it more as a freak-show than serious sports. But MMA has really developed since then. it´s still fun to watch the old classics though.

The HWGP will be great! I´m dying to see the official Fight Card. Hopefully we will see all the top-fighters. Mirko crocop Filipovic is confirmed already since he won his elimination bout over Waterman. Not sure about Noguiera and Fedor Emelianenko. They will probably throw in Bob Sapp too just to draw attention. Well, he´s fun to watch anyway.

I´m also looking forward to UFC 47 april 2. Chuck Liddell vs Tito Ortiz. I always cheer for the standup fighter so I hope Chuck wins , but I doubt it.

Why does mma-fighters always look good with shaved heads?????

stillnotbald

Reaction score
I have been on minoxidil for over 10 years now.

I agree with the second poster. Minoxidil should be one of the last things you try for hairloss because once you start you better not stop. Nizoral I think should be the first line of defense.

In any case, for me minoxidil increases the number of hair I have (new none-terminal hair) even in the front and crowns. Of the hair that would not fall out in any case, minoxidil does not thicken it. In fact quite possibly thins it.

For sure Propecia with minoxidil is quite effective.