minoxidil Users.

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I started minoxidil 5% around 2 and a half months back. After 15 days I also included Nizoral 1% in my regimen. Before i started this treatment, my hair was in much better condition than what it is now.
At the moment, my hair is totally sh*t and hair line has even got worse.
I dont see unusual amount of hair in my shower, comb or pillow. So i reckon I did not have as such a bad shed.
I want to know, is this normal? What to expect with minoxidil. The people who have had benefits using minoxidil, can you tell me around what time frame i can get decent results. Also my left temple is full of tiny vellous hairs, but they dont seem to be growing out. Its quite weird that my right temple hasnt got the tiny vellous hairs, even though i put more of minoxidil on my right temple. :shock:
The anterior part has a lot of 1 cm hairs between my 5 cm normal length hairs. Does this mean these 1 cm hair have been grown through minoxidil or Am i just losing more and growing out the same ones?
I hope I get some guidance from you guys.
Thanks
Nexus :roll:

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
I developed vellus hairs within a week of starting minoxidil. Then I got some growth of fine black hairs within 2 - 3 weeks of starting it and these hairs continue to grow (now about 1cm in length). I'm not sure if it is the minoxidil or regrowth of some previously shed hairs following some surgery in the area.

KK

Reaction score
I get my shed around the 3rd month. it lasted about 2 weeks and then slow down and eventually the sheddding will stop. I also have noticed some regrowth vellus hair and some thicker, notable hair which wasn't there before the treament. I am in my 4th month and I can see thicker, healthier hair. I also noticed the volume has increased dramatically on my sides (right and left). The the diameter of the thinning crown area also closing in.

Hang in there bro...

KK

Reaction score
I get my shed around the 3rd month. it lasted about 2 weeks and then slow down and eventually the sheddding will stop. I also have noticed some regrowth vellus hair and some thicker, notable hair which wasn't there before the treament. I am in my 4th month and I can see thicker, healthier hair. I also noticed the volume has increased dramatically on my sides (right and left). The the diameter of the thinning crown area also closing in.

Hang in there bro...

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies asolof and KK. I know 2.5 month is a very less time to judge. I did not have any major shed, but I am shedding some more hairs than i did in first 2 months of minoxidil application. I started minoxidil on 1st July and plann to use it till 31 dec( 6 full months). Then i also plan to use Finasteride(Finpecia) from Cipla India and continue with minoxidil and Nizoral side by side. My best bet is the 5 year study results of Merck on efficacy of propecia. Even if this pill can buy me 5-7 years I would be very happy as i would have a secure job, a wife and kids by then. SO i wouldnt worry too much about hair loss then.

bombscience

Reaction score
Give it 4 months at the minimum before you make your judgement on improvments or losses.

There are many ups and downs with minoxidil, but hopefully by taking one step back, you'll eventually take two steps forward.

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
nexus81 said:
Even if this pill can buy me 5-7 years I would be very happy as i would have a secure job, a wife and kids by then. SO i wouldnt worry too much about hair loss then.

Reread this in 7 years ...

Grandpa

Established Member
Reaction score
There are many ups and downs with minoxidil, but hopefully by taking one step back, you'll eventually take two steps forward.

Well this is the thing I've always wondered, especially in my own case. Everyone knows about the early shed where everything goes to hell and then, hopefully, the regrowth later where everything comes back better. But my question is, for the people who've gone through a shed and then regrowth, did your hairline actually move during this shed? I mean, did it stay in the same place, get thinner, then get thicker, or did it move back for the first couple months, then move forward to where it was with thicker hair? People never seem to mention this.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
FleshEatingRobot said:
But my question is, for the people who've gone through a shed and then regrowth, did your hairline actually move during this shed? I mean, did it stay in the same place, get thinner, then get thicker, or did it move back for the first couple months, then move forward to where it was with thicker hair? People never seem to mention this.
I am in a minoxidil shed phase right now. In my case, it definitely moved my hairline back, especially along the temples. Whether it will regrow or not who know, I certainly hope so.

HairFarmer

Established Member
Reaction score
1 month update for me...

- Hair appearing to get darker and thicker in affected areas.
- Vellus hairs have really started appearing. Mainly temple area
- Volume in some areas appears stronger then before.

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think I have to be realistic man. I cant expect minoxidil and nizoral to take me back to Norwood 0. In most cases minoxidil will stop or slow hair loss. Cosmetically acceptable regrowth happens in only 8-10% of minoxidil users.
I just hope my hair line gets thick and decent. I usually comb my hair back...now i am thinking of changing my hair style...cutting it short and letting it down. That way hair line would not be visible and hair loss would not seem so obvious.

thinstinks

Established Member
Reaction score
you wanna hear mine?

minoxidil has ruined me.......for the first month or so it looked ok, but that was just because it feels like hair spray, so my hairs were sticking up alot more, hence looking thicker....slowly and slowly getting thinner, slowly and slowly thinner, then BOOM i have had an increase in hair loss since mid june....used to lose about 10-15 now its like 30

each hair i lose is thinner and shorter
before i started, the hairs that i lost were normal in length and thickness (well they were still thin im a diffuse thinner) but now even thinner

everyone keeps eggin me on saying, just wait itll be okay, dont judge until a full year, blah blah blah,,
guranteed in a full year i will be completely bald on top, at this rate

cheers to minoxidil