Minoxidil vs Propecia

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm considering starting a regiment but don't know really know where to start. I have an appointment with a derm in 2 days and want to start propecia/proscar. I heard most people start minoxidil first, but I figured it would be easier to take a pill and it seems to cost a lot less. I figured if I start propecia, assuming it works, I could use that to stop and maybe add some regrowth and start minoxidil once that stops being effective and make my treatment last longer. Does it work that way? Is minoxidil the only way to see regrowth? The main problem is my hairline but now it's stating to thin a little bit around on top.

templerecess

Established Member
Reaction score
Your plan is probably the most sensible approach to attacking hair loss. Although it's not the route I took, I see it's benefits. 1) Propecia really does the heavy lifting in battling hairloss. 2) It's 1 tiny pill a day. Literally requires no change to your daily routine. 3) It's effects will not wear off.

If it accomplishes all you want it to, then you'll be lucky enough to not have to bring in the 2x daily minoxidil regimen. And if it doesn't, you can add minoxidil in. I'm sort of type A about my hair loss, so I just compulsively went in with every resource to fight it. But even I see the sensibility in starting with finasteride first.

Nadester

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Post your pics and age. Also using minoxidil is better than finasteride for receders, It would cost you more but is safe to use.

templerecess

Established Member
Reaction score
Post your pics and age. Also using minoxidil is better than finasteride for receders, It would cost you more but is safe to use.

This can't be true

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
I was talking about regrowth their.
How is more (temporary) regrowth better in any way? That's no different than using concealers. Soon you cannot hide it anymore.

Finasteride is definitely the best choice but both in combination is even better. Minoxidil on its own rarely halts hairloss for more than a year.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride should be the first resort

Nadester

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Check what the OP asked. He asked for his HAIRLINE. minoxidil will help to regrow it back, finasteride would help to maintain and their is a SLIGHT chance of sides and also if he is lucky then some regrowth.
I never said minoxidil is better then finasteride as a treatment. I just meant a safer better way to keep his hair for sometime and if it goes out of hand then go for finasteride.
Also i don't know the guy's age so why the hell should i tell him to go for finasteride?? I don't want to be an anti finasteride or pro-minoxidil but seriously taking finasteride without a doctor's supervision or a blood test is not a good move IMO

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
Check what the OP asked. He asked for his HAIRLINE. minoxidil will help to regrow it back, finasteride would help to maintain and their is a SLIGHT chance of sides and also if he is lucky then some regrowth.
I never said minoxidil is better then finasteride as a treatment. I just meant a safer better way to keep his hair for sometime and if it goes out of hand then go for finasteride.
Also i don't know the guy's age so why the hell should i tell him to go for finasteride?? I don't want to be an anti finasteride or pro-minoxidil but seriously taking finasteride without a doctor's supervision or a blood test is not a good move IMO

He said he was going to a dermatologist. If he only starts minoxidil his hair will still continue to get damaged even though the hair appears thicker. That's why it's like concealers. It can't really reverse anything.
Oh and shut your stupid mouth, sadester. There is no sense in discussing this. You are wrong, I am right. So stfu.

Reaction score

hairline is a BIG plus but I was looking to maximize my treatment time. So is minoxidil the only way I'm going to see regrowth? I'm kind of weary about using it because I heard it has to be used non stop and the once you lose the hair you grew with it they probably aren't coming back. I was hoping to use finasteride and combine daily exercise along with biotine and saw palmetto to see if I can achieve some regrowth myself and wait until all that stops working to use minoxidil. Not sure how any of it works though.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
finasteride alone can possible give you some regrowth. Depends how bad your situation is if you want to start minoxidil or not. I say get finasteride first as its the best thing to do to actually fight male pattern baldness. Just like the previous guy said minoxidil regrows hair but doesn't actually stop male pattern baldness.

templerecess

Established Member
Reaction score
You have a bucket that is leaking. The leaking holes are slowly increasing in size. Three Options available.

1) (Minoxidil): Pour more water into the bucket to make up for the water leaking out. However, eventually, this won't be enough to refill the water because the leaking holes are getting bigger.

2) (Finasteride): Plug the holes. You won't lose any more water. But what you lost, you lost.

3) (Finasteride+Minoxidil): Plug the holes. Fill the bucket with what you lost.

Questions?

Reaction score
You have a bucket that is leaking. The leaking holes are slowly increasing in size. Three Options available.

1) (Minoxidil): Pour more water into the bucket to make up for the water leaking out. However, eventually, this won't be enough to refill the water because the leaking holes are getting bigger.

2) (Finasteride): Plug the holes. You won't lose any more water. But what you lost, you lost.

3) (Finasteride+Minoxidil): Plug the holes. Fill the bucket with what you lost.

Questions?

Damn I figured with finasteride stopping the DHT from reaching your scalp the hairs that are miniaturized would start turning back into terminal hairs

templerecess

Established Member
Reaction score
Damn I figured with finasteride stopping the DHT from reaching your scalp the hairs that are miniaturized would start turning back into terminal hairs

Yes, but you need the miniaturized hairs there.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
You should use both if you can. Everything available (and safe) should be thrown at this crap.

I said this before, we don't have the luxury of choosing! "Nah I'm not using that, too much of a hassle."

Fine if you think that, but don't come complaining when you go bald at a very fast rate then.

We have things we can use that are available to us now: medication, concealers, FUE hair transplants, SMP.

Use them! Or would you rather have been born in 1950 and have absolutely nothing at all besides a clown wig to help you?

Be thankful and use both.

Good post Fred. However, I don't consider concealers, SMP, wigs as solutions in the slightest. Yesterday I went to an upmarket bar in London, lots of well to do people, from 20-50 years of age. Most people looked good, hardly any balding. Mostly receding max. How many are wearing a wig, concealers or smp? It really is not a solution and also I feel if I did that I would get mocked in there if discovered. It's as bad as a hat.

Agree on using all meds and transplants for sure!

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used concealers before and as you know my father has been a hair piece user for more than 30 years.

People could never believe I was using concealers, even when I was telling it to their face, they just wouldn't believe it and i had to rub some on my finger.

Same for my father, when I tell people he wears a wig, they usually won't believe it or they don't understand what I mean.

Concealers can really buy you a lot of time if your balding isn't to aggressive. They really shouldn't be dismissed as they're so easy to apply.

5 minutes in the morning to make your day 5 times better than with your balding apparent. Wigs on the other are way too much of a hassle to be considered a viable solution.

I see. I guess everyone is different. I feel it can be more psychologically damaging wearing a wig - for me anyway. Concealers are better than a wig but you risk relying on it, it becomes your crutch, never good with a balding young guy I feel. As a temporary solution they fit the bill.

SMP is embarrassing I feel, tattoos on your head to resemble hair.

Reaction score
You should use both if you can. Everything available (and safe) should be thrown at this crap.

I said this before, we don't have the luxury of choosing! "Nah I'm not using that, too much of a hassle."

Fine if you think that, but don't come complaining when you go bald at a very fast rate then.

We have things we can use that are available to us now: medication, concealers, FUE hair transplants, SMP.

Use them! Or would you rather have been born in 1950 and have absolutely nothing at all besides a clown wig to help you?

Be thankful and use both.

its not about the regimen I just wanted backup treatments for when it goes downhill again instead of starting with everything

Nadester

Experienced Member
Reaction score
finasteride minoxidil and nizoral. Use these for a year and then you will know how good you respond to them
If you are looking for back if they don't work then look into RU58841 and Dutasteride although i highly doubt that they won't work.
CB0301 will take some time to get on the market.
If it all is troublesome then go for an hair transplant. Its the only "cure" we have for now.
Whats your age??