Missing my dose of fineateride for a week and a half

inmiami

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum and I hope to contribute more.

I have been using finasteride (proscar) since september of 2006 and I have had great results with no side effects (yet).

I take the pill, cut it up into 4 and i take one every monday, wednesday and friday.

Unfortunately because I am out of town, I forgot to bring my medicine with me. By the time I get to take the next one when I return, it will be one week and a half without it. Is this a cause of concern?

I'm worried that I may start shedding again and that I will have to go through that 6 month phase of having to regrow everything.

Many Thanks,
InMiami

beaner

Reaction score
You have nothing to worry about. DHT levels remain lowered for several days and won't be back to baseline levels for a week or better. It takes weeks or even months of being off the drug to have a negative impact on your hair.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
that's good news to hear! as I am off finasteride now, just for a week or so due to sides..!!!

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
You have nothing to worry about. DHT levels remain lowered for several days and won't be back to baseline levels for a week or better. It takes weeks or even months of being off the drug to have a negative impact on your hair.

does that mean technically I would only have to take one dose of Finasteride every few days or once per week for it to remain effective? Seems like once per day is unnecessarily frequent

beaner

Reaction score
does that mean technically I would only have to take one dose of Finasteride every few days or once per week for it to remain effective? Seems like once per day is unnecessarily frequent

Maybe. DHT is going to be lowered for up to a week after a dose, but it's still going to be creeping back up after a day or two. Once per day dosing will prevent an unnecessary fluctuation of hormones which could cause problems in and of itself. I think every other day dosing would be ok too.

However, if you've been dosing daily for a while, I wouldn't advise dropping to a every few days/once a week regimen. You never know what may happen.

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you search, you can find the picture showing DHT amount/time after stopping chart. I belive it is safest to take at same time of day everyday to make sure you dont rollercoast your hormones too much.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
I've been doing 1mg per day for years. Recently I've dropped to 5x per week (missing two days) - in an effort to minimise sides but not jeopardise my hair