Monster Topical, great research

moxsom

Established Member
Reaction score
Let me say first that I'm a pre-mature balding male (Diffuse thinner). I'm already on some treatments (finasteride, min, nizoral) but looking for the best possible topical. I'm doing a Biology degree and have a little background in chemistry but have yet to make any of my own topicals. So I was wondering if anyone has made a topical to this degree, and how I would go about doing it.

I have put together a list of personally what I think would be included in an excellent topical, which will be back by scientific articles.

Capsaicin, Isoflavone

Harada et el proved that the administration of capsaicin and isoflavone significantly increased hair follicles more then capsaicin alone and significantly more then placebo in patiets with Androgenetic Alopecia (Androgenic Alopecia). Capsaicin activates vallinoid receptor 1, which in turn activates calcitonin gene-related peptide, which has shown to increase IGF-1. Tang et el (2003) were able to prove that the individuals using a DHT inhibitor and had significant regrowth all had higher levels of IGF-1 in the scalp opposed to the subjects using DHT inhibitor who did not show growth, or those which showed loss. It has been proven that IGF-1 plays a vital role in hair bulge stem cell proliferation and differentiation (Werger 2005, Su 1999). Rasberry Ketone contains properties that are quite similar to capsaicin and are one of the main ingredients in Virile Mane, a product with good reviews for hair regrowth.

So in combination capsaicin and isoflavone seem to be an excellent addition to any topical.

Curcmin, Apignen

It has been shown that Transforming Growth Factor Beta-1 (TGFB-1) plays a crucial role in catagen induction when in the presence of androgens (Huh, 2009, INUI 2002). Curcumin is a known inhibitor of TGFB-1. It is also shown that Apignen decreases levels of TGFB-1 and also increases human epidermal keratinocytes and human dermal papilla cells. It is an anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and has anti-tumor properties.

In conclusion, these products seem also effective, but lack the studies of actually being used on Androgenetic Alopecia patients. (none that I could directly find yet)

The next few items obviously can't be used in custom topicals made via companies because they require a prescription and are used for different medical conditions. Use at own risk

Lithium and (2'Z,3'E)-6-bromoindirubin-3'-oxime (BIO)

Already on this board they have spoke about Lithium and everything was on par with my research. Lithium and BIO are GSK-3 inhibitors which in turn inhibits the Wnt signal pathway (Yamauchi, 2009). The Wnt signalling pathway has been shown to be a important role in hair follicle proliferation and differentiation (Ouji 2008). Clearly more research needs to be done on this area as it is undetermined with wnt pathways are activated by inhibiting GSK-3.

I have no idea where one could retrieve the BIO, as I am not familiar with it at all.

TCI's

TCI's are topical calcineurins inhibitors. Bascially the NFAT-1 - calceineurin pathway plays a major role in keeping hairs in quiescenence and not dividing and proliferating into more hair cells. Calcerineurins inhibitors stop this pathway and activate growth of new hair cells potentially. One of the most common side effects of treatment with cyclosporin A is hypertrichosis. Horsley et el (2008) showed that calcineurin activity is associated with hair keratinocyte differentiation in vivo, affecting nuclear factor of activated T cells (NFAT1) activity in these cells. As stem cells become activated during hair growth, NFATc1 is downregulated, relieving CDK4 repression and activating proliferation. When calcineurin/NFATc1 signaling is suppressed, pharmacologically or other ways stem cells are activated prematurely resulting in massive follicular growth. (Gafter-Gvili 2003).

Again TCI's are used for completley different medical purposes. Do not attempt this at home. Just an idea of how to regrow some hair with topicals.

I also have a new theory on Heat Schock Proteins (HSPs) and hair regrowth. I will explain this in more detail later.

So overall I was wondering If this could possibly be made. Especially the first 4 or 5 substances with stability?

Gafter-Gvili A, Sredni B, Gal R, Gafter U, and Kalechman Y. Cyclosporin A-induced hair growth in mice is associated with inhibition of calcineurin-dependent activation of NFAT in follicular keratinocytes Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 284: C1593-C1603, 2003;

Harada N, Okajima K, Arai M, Kurihara H, Nakagata N. Administration of capsaicin and isoflavone promotes hair growth by increasing insulin-like growth factor-I production in mice and in humans with alopecia. Journal of Growth Hormone & IGF Research. Volume 17, Issue 5, October 2007, Pages 408-415

Horsley V., Aliprantis AO, Polak L, Glimcher L. and Fuchs E. NFATc1 balances quiescence and proliferation of skin stem cells Cell. 2008 January 25; 132(2): 299–310.

Huh S, Lee J, Jung E, Kim SC, Kang JI, Lee J, Kim YW, Sung YK, Kang HK, Park D.
A cell-based system for screening hair growth-promoting agents. Arch Dermatol Res. 2009 Mar 11.

Ouji Y, Yoshikawa M, Moriya K, Nishiofuku M, Matsuda R, Ishizaka S. Wnt-10b, uniquely among Wnts, promotes epithelial differentiation and shaft growth. Biochemical and Biophysical research communications. 2008 Mar 7;367(2):299-304

Tang L, Bernardo O, Bolduc C, Lui H, Madani S, and Shapiro J.The expression of insulin-like growth factor 1 in follicular dermal papillae correlates with therapeutic efficacy of finasteride in androgenetic alopecia. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. . 2003 Aug;49(2):229-33.

Weger N, and Schlake T. Igf-I signalling controls the hair growth cycle and the differentiation of hair shafts. The Journal of Investigative Dermatology. 2005 Nov;125(5):873-82

Sorry about the lazy references, let me know if I forgot any.

BoilerRoom

Established Member
Reaction score
Rather than using isoflavones topically, I would recommend just including them into your diet. A couple months ago, I purchased a fermented soy powder supplement (Jarrow and NOW both make one). My skin, including scalp, has gotten much smoother and far less oily.

Finding the perfect topical and supplements for hairloss can be insanely confusing and leave you in circles. Green tea, for example, has been shown to lower IGF-1 levels despite, I believe, being beneficial for hair loss.

My advice: If you can tolerate it, just add topical spironolactone and focus on beneficial things internally.

moxsom

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah wrong. Haven't you read all the terrible studies on Green Tea latley?

I think I will try oral capsaicin and isaflavone because that is what the used in the study.

BoilerRoom

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure Green Tea causes massive rises in DHT levels.

That's why so many asian men are covered in body hair and plagued by prostate problems.

moxsom

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry, forgot green tea cured hairloss. I'll jump on it right away